Playwriting MFAs

dampka

I got my rejection from Brown too! And loved the letter! I didn't realise they only take 2 students.

The rejection has made me feel a bit calmer. This calm will probably last another few hours. 

Good luck with the rest, everyone! 

I'm 27. Been out for almost a year, took loads of time off for travel etc. studied abroad for a bit. I'm not really worried about age and quite frankly, if that's a factor in a rejection it's just as well. Quality of work/ potential of writing ability should be the main focus. I want to attend a school which will align with my belief in that regard.

That being said I really think that's true of most institutions, though perhaps there shouldn't be a request within the application for date of birth? I haven't thought about it too much.

Edited by Starsandsound

Starsandsound I agree. If age is factored above writing sample, I wouldn't want to go there either. 

I'm 26 and have been working in TV as an assistant. Most of my work is TV/Film. I'm pretty new to playwriting, but am diving in full steam ahead. 

Starsandsound I agree. If age is factored above writing sample, I wouldn't want to go there either.

I'm 26 and have been working in TV as an assistant. Most of my work is TV/Film. I'm pretty new to playwriting, but am diving in full steam ahead.

That's the only way to do it! If you're passionate, you need little else.

Edited by Starsandsound

I really feel strongly that those Yale phonecalls are going out today. Last year they went out the 22nd which was the corresponding Friday, and teethwax from this forum posted at 4:55 informing about her interview call.

I'm so obsessed yikes!

I'm fairly certain my submission's style couldn't have been farther from yours cathergirl! 

I love overlapping dialogue too. I've spent the last few months playing it really straight - one room, set times, real people. I don't think you can make people cry if they haven't laughed first.

Just got an email from GRE. They've forwarded my case on to the appropriate department. Whatever that means. Looking forward to the bullshit response. 

I'm terrified of an interview because I have no idea what I will say.

What do you think they will ask? 

Thank you.  I was contacted last Monday, and I interviewed for about 30 minutes on Thursday.  It was very conversational.  I was asked why I wanted to go to grad school and about some things I wrote in my statement, and then I asked a bunch of questions about the program.  It didn't really feel like an interview.