Playwriting MFAs

dampka

@princessisinanothercastle, I can't speak for Zissou but from the conversations I've had with my Yale contact, it seems the age varies. He was 22 or 21 when admitted and I think he said there were others in their 30s. And I could be wrong, but I think you can see the current or previous Yale playwriting students if you dig through their website. Although that could be for Brown...

Singsalot!  It's at Gleason's Gym in Dumbo- tonight at 7 is closing. Here's the website: http://thelivingroomseries.org/-it's sold out but they are letting people in on stand-by. No one has been turned away!

The people I met were across the board age/ethnicity wise. I was the oldest finalist (I think), but there were folks close to my age there as finalists or current students.

I did here from one of the other finalists...he had been called by Jeanie to let him know he is in. So, it looks as though I'm getting the big NO from Yale. Fingers crossed, gang. Should know for sure by tomorrow.

Great! Thanks so much for this. I don't think I can make it tonight but the event looks really cool ... love the boxing ring, love the gym setting for sure.

You never know about Yale. It's not over till it's over, and you may very well be getting a call on Monday, you know? It's hard to see the interview as a victory I'm sure, especially at a program like Yale, but I really think at that stage it's more about what sort of class they want than any one individual. I think they likely could see anyone they interviewed being admitted (unless someone turns out to be completely insane) but I still have my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted!

Loved reading your post about Yale. It seems like an awesome program. Hope you get a call soon, Zissou! 

Where a lot of students finalists at other programs? 

Any other news? 

I gave in and emailed The New School to see if decisions have been made.

Any more news from anyone? Still waiting to hear something official from TNS, Brooklyn College, and NYU ... at least the weather is nice :)

Hi All: Just heard back from The New School -- all interviews have gone out. Feeling pretty disappointed as I had high hopes for this school and have been really impressed by the alumni they have been turning out.

Sort of feeling just ... bleh.

Gang,

Heard back from Yale and it's a no. Super bummed, but nothing to be done about it. Gotta pick myself up, and keep making work. Fingers crossed for Juilliard.

Congrats Tate and CandinalBiggles- awesome!

Hey Everybody, did anyone apply to the Lark's Jerome New York Fellowship?  I did this week, but no confirmation email was sent from them... just checking to see if this was the case for other people.  Deadline is 3/18 if you haven't applied, here's the link: http://www.larktheatre.org/who-we-are/programs/fellowships-and-residencies/jerome-new-york-fellowship/

Thanks, Singsalot! With an Ohio offer in hand, it's a lot to mull over. 

For reference, this is my third year applying to Northwestern. (As I told them in my interview, this is my third year applying--and also my last year applying. Brazenness FTW!) I was convinced for a while that I didn't want to leave Chicago, so I only applied to one school. I also hadn't really thought through the issue of funding. 

Now that I'm older and wiser, I'm less willing to go into debt and more willing to move for the right opportunity. So, Northwestern seems less appealing than it once did...but we'll see how it shakes out. 

Congrats, genericincognito! Did you visit Ohio already? How did it go? I'm planning to officially accept my offer today - haven't gotten all of my questions answered yet, but there's time enough. My official offer includes a stipend for the fall, but not the spring.

I didn't hear anything from Iowa, so good to know that that's already gone out. Also, Rutgers is still looking for applicants, apparently - Kathleen Tolan got in touch with me again to see if I wanted to apply this year. I can pass on her email address if anyone's interested. She'll be making decisions in the coming week.

Zissou and Singsalot: what a bummer! I was really rooting for y'all. What are your plans from here? Zissou, are you applying to any NY fellowships or writing groups? The Public is accepting this year, right?

Edited by lavendercloud

That's great, genericincognito. Congratulations.

@mcw98 - I didn't apply there but have been applying to a lot of apprenticeships and internships, one of which (Studio Theatre) didn't send me a confirmation email. I'm probably going to shoot them an email to check if I don't hear from them soon. I would do the same in your case.

Congrats all around, gang.

lavendercloud- I've still got my fingers crossed pretty hard for Juilliard. I'm hoping that coming close to it last year will help me this year. I'll apply for the Public thing later this year! Other than that- I'll keep trucking along with my writing here.