Louisiana Schools

On 3/17/2017 at 11:14 PM, Allison96 said:

Hey! I heard back from LSU Baton Rouge today and got accepted! We have to respond by March 31. I am sort of freaking out because I have been wait listed to every other school I applied to. I am from SC so I will have to pay out of state tuition if I decide to go. Can anyone give me some reviews on this program??

Current undergrad at LSU, speaking on what I have seen/ heard being close to this program. We have similar professors in undergrad that also teach in grad school, also alot of our classes are in same building.....LSU BR has a good program! There is a mix of Phd and MA/MS professors and clinical supervisors. They all seem to be hands on and friendly. Class size is usually about 30. Our clinic is nice with lots of small rooms all with cameras for supervisors to watch, nice grad student breakroom. Phd's want students who are interested in research and possibly writing a thesis. Good balance of adult and pediatric clients. The department is in the basement of a building though, so no windows or amazing view- but the LSU campus is beautiful. Baton Rouge is not the most fun city, it has things going on but not as many cool restaurants or things to do as compared to somewhere like New Orleans, Houston etc. This is a big reason why I don't want to go hear for grad school bc I need something different/ want a big city. Don't know too much about clinical placements but there are different opportunities in the city..being the only program in BR there is alot to choose from. IMO the program lacks diversity but is something they are trying to get better at (not sure if this matters to you) 

In terms of funding, a great thing about LSU is that you can get a graduate assitantship in any department on campus pretty much! So you don't have to be a GA in the comd department, you could be in the office of admissions, career center, college of Ag whatever. This typically pays for tuition or gets an instate waiver - only catch is its 20 hrs work a week. Contact department about other scholarships/ tuition waivers, they like out of state students!!

5 hours ago, MgSpeech said:

Oh wow! Okay thanks. Do you know about how many applicants they accept?

Typically they accept 25-30! I've only heard about 2 girls getting in so far.  Not much chatter else where. 

54 minutes ago, CajunSLP18 said:

Typically they accept 25-30! I've only heard about 2 girls getting in so far.  Not much chatter else where. 

That makes me feel better. Thanks so much!

19 hours ago, MgSpeech said:

I called UL and they told me they were not sending out acceptance letters until the end of the week and rejections until next week?

I received an email yesterday from ULL saying that I got in. They may not send letters in the mail until later. 

Does your first name start with a C? I believe they go in alphabetical order by First name. I know a A, a C and now you that have gotten acceptance emails. 

1 hour ago, Cdino said:

I received an email yesterday from ULL saying that I got in. They may not send letters in the mail until later. 

14 hours ago, futureslp123 said:

Sorry to hear that. In my mind "low" GRE = 296-299. I should've been more specific! This is very low compared to the  majority of schools in the country who atleast want 50th-55 percentile

oh I see what you're saying.  it's okay. 

38 minutes ago, CajunSLP18 said:

Does your first name start with a C? I believe they go in alphabetical order by First name. I know a A, a C and now you that have gotten acceptance emails. 

I hope it's favorable for me.  All this talk is making me nervous.  

15 hours ago, futureslp123 said:

Sorry to hear that. In my mind "low" GRE = 296-299. I should've been more specific! This is very low compared to the  majority of schools in the country who atleast want 50th-55 percentile

They are much more likely to accept these scores due to their preference towards LA residents. Out of state applicants will have a much lower shot with those scores. Just FYI for anyone wanting to go there. 

8 hours ago, CajunSLP18 said:

It does! I'm still waiting to hear back about a GA but they said we should know in about two weeks time!

20 minutes ago, Cdino said:

It does! I'm still waiting to hear back about a GA but they said we should know in about two weeks time!

My name starts with an E, and I haven't heard anything.  Uh oh...

46 minutes ago, edardi1 said:

My name starts with an E, and I haven't heard anything.  Uh oh...

I was told they do this process extremely slowly. I now know an A and 3 C's who got in. I'm sure they haven't gotten there yet. I have a friend who is a J and she hasn't heard. 

28 minutes ago, CajunSLP18 said:

I was told they do this process extremely slowly. I now know an A and 3 C's who got in. I'm sure they haven't gotten there yet. I have a friend who is a J and she hasn't heard. 

I'll take your word for it.  I'm slowly losing my patience with each passing day.  really hoping this is my year. 

I received an email today that I was waitlisted at ULL. They said they won't contact again about the final decision until the end of April/beginning of May after first round decisions or possibly up to the start of the semester depending on having last minute drop outs. I live in PA...so if by chance I actually get in, it'll feel like I have zero days to move and do anything. So stressful and I'm so anxious and impatient right now ? It's going to be the longest month of my life. 

8 hours ago, ASKes said:

I received an email today that I was waitlisted at ULL. They said they won't contact again about the final decision until the end of April/beginning of May after first round decisions or possibly up to the start of the semester depending on having last minute drop outs. I live in PA...so if by chance I actually get in, it'll feel like I have zero days to move and do anything. So stressful and I'm so anxious and impatient right now ? It's going to be the longest month of my life. 

What does your name start with?

1 hour ago, CajunSLP18 said:

What does your name start with?

An A. Would they go by first names? If they went by names, I feel like it would be last names just because that always seemed like the norm when it's that type of order. Mine's an S so that wouldn't make sense then though. I have absolutely no idea.

Edited by ASKes

10 minutes ago, ASKes said:

An A. Would they go by first names? If they went by names, I feel like it would be last names just because that always seemed like the norm when it's that type of order. Mine's an S so that wouldn't make sense then though. I have absolutely no idea.

They go by first names. I now know 2 A's, and 3 C's who got a email. 

9 hours ago, ASKes said:

I'm waiting to hear right now and I'm freaking out and hoping to at least be wait listed! Would you mind me asking your stats so I could calm myself down? ?

On 3/22/2017 at 11:21 AM, MgSpeech said:

I'm waiting to hear right now and I'm freaking out and hoping to at least be wait listed! Would you mind me asking your stats so I could calm myself down? ?

My stats are pretttty low. Kind of embarrassing. I finished with a 3.3 overall GPA. I don't remember my department GPA (higher than overall though), I graduated 2 years ago and this is my first time applying so I haven't looked in a while. I took the GREs twice but scored about the same both times. Verbal and quanitative were around the 25th-30th percentile. Writing was 4.0. Not good, below what I thought would even be considered from the degree standards. Definetly not anything to brag about! I expected all denials, but I'm waitlisted at 2 of the the 3 schools I applied to. Don't know why, don't know how. So don't give up hope! I'm pretty terrible and I made it somewhere lol. I hope that helps and you can relax a bit if you still haven't heard. I know that rec letters do A LOT! (my saving grace I think) Good luck! Hopefully we'll get in ?

Edited by ASKes

3 minutes ago, ASKes said:

My stats are pretttty low. I finished with a 3.3 overall GPA. I don't remember my department GPA (higher than overall though), I graduated 2 years ago and this is my first time applying so I haven't looked in a while. I took the GREs twice but scored about the same both times. Verbal and quanitative were around the 30th percentile. Writing was 4.0. Not good, below what I thought would even be considered from the degree standards. Definetly not anything to brag about! I expected all denials, but I'm waitlisted at 2 of the the 3 schools I applied to. Don't know why, don't know how. Mind blown. So don't give up hope! I'm pretty terrible and I made it somewhere lol. I hope that helps and you can relax a bit if you still haven't heard. I know that rec letters do A LOT! (my saving grace I think)

Same!!! My undergrad GPA is not great at all, and my major GPA is good but not amazing. My GRE is around yours too I just could never get it higher. I have not heard anything yet but I'm still holding out hope! Thanks! 

11 minutes ago, MgSpeech said:

Same!!! My undergrad GPA is not great at all, and my major GPA is good but not amazing. My GRE is around yours too I just could never get it higher. I have not heard anything yet but I'm still holding out hope! Thanks! 

Of course! GREs are just the devil. I know people I graduated with who had lower than me in everything that got in or waitlisted and got in so anything is possible! You got this! ?

1 hour ago, ASKes said:

Of course! GREs are just the devil. I know people I graduated with who had lower than me in everything that got in or waitlisted and got in so anything is possible! You got this! ?

the only thing  I'm worried about is my LSU gpa from 6 years ago.  embarrassingly low, but I did so much better with my prerequisites.   I'm hoping that, my recs, resume, and statement were my saving grace.  good luck, ladies!

1 hour ago, CajunSLP18 said:

I know someone whose name starts with a J heard back this morning from UL.

I just heard back this morning too.  not favorable, but it's okay.