Clinical Psychology programs

weshh

Hi everyone,

If you applied to Clinical psych masters programs could you list which programs you applied to, or list any programs that you know of.

I applied to several MSW programs with clinical focus but I foresee that I might want to go the PhD in Psych route in the future and a MS in clinical psych might help set me up better for that. I am interested in clinical work and applying counseling, diagnostic, and therapeutic methodologies but I'm not opposed to spending longer in academia and doing research for a while as well. 

I applied to MSW programs because they seem pretty versatile for clinical work but now I can't help but wonder if a clinical psych MS would be more beneficial for pursuing a PhD.

Edited by weshh

University of Texas at Tyler MS in Clinical Psychology. Sam Houston State MS in Clinical Psychology. Harvard MA in Clinical Psychology. Columbia MA in Clinical Psychology. Loyola University MS in Clinical Psychology. Those are a few I have heard of are all pretty different. A few programs are available that have a thesis and significant research, which might benefit you. It depends on if you are looking for professional licensure at the Master's level, or a preparation for doctoral study?

If you DO decide to study MSW, I would definitely recommend as much psychological research experience as possible.From what I understand, clinical master's programs are effective if they have a lot of research experience (since that is what doctoral programs are looking for.)

Thank you both! 

One of the MSW programs I have been admitted to also has a social work PhD program so perhaps I could help out on some of their ongoing research projects.