Funding Cut?

Lucyshoneypie

Hi everyone!

I was told by professors in my home university (not in US) that there has been an anticipated funding cut due to the new administration (which they heard from their friends working in US), which might reflect on the number of applicants they accept this year. Have you heard anything like this? Or is it just a gossip that spreads every year?

I've read a few people on other psych threads say that their POI's reached out to them and indicated their rejection/waitlist status has been due to funding issues. Personally, I know one of my POI was originally told they could take two and then was informed after interview day they would only be allowed to take one. Is this bc of the administration stuff? I don't know but I think it is popping up more than any of us expected it to. Hope this helps!

A school I was waitlisted at told me that in a normal year, I would have been accepted by now, but they are having issues with funding. My POI just got a new student last cycle, and with a cohort of 2-4 students, it makes sense that they would want to make space for other POIs to get new students too. I have no idea where the funding issues stem from, but it's really unfortunate. 

This happens every year and the funding card is a broad statement. In many cases it is due to funding but more about who gets to take a student.

For example, some of "the waitlist" is because at many schools only 4 profs can take a student but 5 interview in case a prof does not get there top choice students (they accept elsewhere, etc.), then number 5 can select. It is common to be on the waitlist and be a top choice. A lot has to do with time, if your program interviews earlier (January) there is a better chance of waiting longer due to other candidates still interviewing elsewhere (February into early March).

Edited by Plasticity

My poi told me that I am #1 on waitlist- but the state legislature is cutting funding so they are taking less than they thought. Even if someone rejects, he doesn't know if any waitlist offers will actually be made.

It is really upsetting :(

On 3/1/2017 at 5:47 PM, psychlife4me said:

I've read a few people on other psych threads say that their POI's reached out to them and indicated their rejection/waitlist status has been due to funding issues. Personally, I know one of my POI was originally told they could take two and then was informed after interview day they would only be allowed to take one. Is this bc of the administration stuff? I don't know but I think it is popping up more than any of us expected it to. Hope this helps!

The first cycle I applied my POI said junior faculty get first choice, then they see how much money is left by the time they get to senior faculty. I didn't get in that year because she said there wasn't money for her to take an out of state student. 

Thanks everyone for responding! And I wish the best of luch to everyone who is waitlisted. As a sidenote,I do think the allocation of the funding, especially in state schools, is a little quirky this year, as I have received an interview for a Phd program in a state school last week. At this point, I left my chances to the-powers-that-be, and focused on getting through this chaotic term in one piece.