UoT Admission Results

Ifyouletmefinnish

Just got accepted to the ECE dept for an MASc, and was wondering how everyone else fared - be nice to hear from future department mates.

I'm an international student - kinda (Dual citizenship, but live in Europe, applied as domestic). From a relatively unknown university, ECE major, with a 90+% average, 1.5 years in a departmental research lab, 2 semesters as a TA, and some solid industry experience (2 internships + very relevant final year project with industrial partner).

Have admission offers from 3 profs in the department so have to decide between them, but didn't apply to any other universities.

Congraulations, that's awesome to hear.  I am hopeful to get an offer in the near future.  Very excited about the process.  I had 3 interviews in early February.

I'm an Ontario student completing 2nd degree.  Average for electrical engineering is 4.04/4.3 overall, last two years 4.22/4.3.  Have internship, research experience.  Mature student.  Currently a TA and RA.  Multiple scholarships.  Involvement in many clubs/societies. 

I have applied to Waterloo and my current school in addition to U of T.

Edited by formerfactory

8 hours ago, formerfactory said:

Congraulations, that's awesome to hear.  I am hopeful to get an offer in the near future.  

Based on your profile I'm sure you will! Out of interest, which group are you hoping to work under?

Current ECE student at UofT, from just talking to UofT profs, it seems like there are still some profs with fundings and projects available for Master students. Hope this helps.

On 2.3.2017 at 2:03 PM, Ifyouletmefinnish said:

Just got accepted to the ECE dept for an MASc, and was wondering how everyone else fared - be nice to hear from future department mates.

Congratulations, hope you are not having hard time deciding between the POIs. I was wondering if Prof. Vaughn Betz is one of those professors and whether you are going to accept his offer or not. As, I am wait-listed, so trying to figure out my chances. 

14 hours ago, coolgod said:

Current ECE student at UofT, from just talking to UofT profs, it seems like there are still some profs with fundings and projects available for Master students. Hope this helps.

It has been an interesting process to go through.  I would much rather people just tell me if they are interested or not.  With the extension of the applications many universities in Canada have given including Toronto, it provides another layer to an already long and drawn out procedure.

On 3/10/2017 at 9:46 AM, UTorontoECE said:

Congratulations, hope you are not having hard time deciding between the POIs. I was wondering if Prof. Vaughn Betz is one of those professors and whether you are going to accept his offer or not. As, I am wait-listed, so trying to figure out my chances. 

I got an exciting follow-up email from one of the Profs which more or less made my mind up for me, which was great. No offers from Prof. Betz, so I can't help you there!

Got my official acceptance letter to sign and return in PDF form today via email, so that's nice. Now I get to start investigating the undoubtedly difficult housing situation :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I accepted PhD offer in ECE.

I am an international student

worried about the funding though. Basic support looks very stringent after deducting taxes.

Did anyone receive any scholarship?

7 hours ago, raulgool said:

worried about the funding though. Basic support looks very stringent after deducting taxes.

Firstly, congrats! May I ask what your field is?

As far as I know fellowships and scholarships are exempt from taxation in Canada.

I don't think most of the scholarship decisions have been made yet (I could be wrong on that) - which did you apply for? NSERC?

Ifyouletmefinnish is correct, scholarships, awards, and fellowships are not taxed in Canada.  You may have to pay a good amount of money for health insurance, tuition, and other fees.  The stipend according to the U of T website compensates international students quite well.

Ifyouletmefinnish, did you apply to NSERC or OGS?

20 hours ago, formerfactory said:

The stipend according to the U of T website compensates international students quite well.

That's true, but only to cover the cost of the increased tuition fees for int'l students. As far as I can tell, both domestic and int'l students are left with ~$17k CAD to live on after tuition.

I plan on getting a TA position because I think living in Toronto in 17k a year would be pretty difficult (And I'm good at living cheaply). TAing 1 module a semester should bring in an extra ~$5.2k CAD a year, which makes it more doable. On that note - what are any future UofT students doing for accommodation? On campus looks bad value (specifically talking about Graduate House), trying to figure out how much is a reasonable off-campus housing budget.

20 hours ago, formerfactory said:

Ifyouletmefinnish, did you apply to NSERC or OGS?

Both, actually! I'm a MASc applicant so I applied to the NSERC CGS-M, the results for which start to be released April 1st. OGS results start in July AFAIK.

I'm not sure did you look at what Rudy sent. Sorry I was out earlier

2 hours ago, Ifyouletmefinnish said:

I plan on getting a TA position because I think living in Toronto in 17k a year would be pretty difficult (And I'm good at living cheaply). TAing 1 module a semester should bring in an extra ~$5.2k CAD a year, which makes it more doable. On that note - what are any future UofT students doing for accommodation? On campus looks bad value (specifically talking about Graduate House), trying to figure out how much is a reasonable off-campus housing budget.

Since you are a Canadian citizen, I would recommend that you look into some provincial assistance plans.  I know with Ontario you have the option of taking grant money only from OSAP, which in cases like mine can be several thousands of dollars.  If you haven't considered it, might be something to look into.

I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from U of T.  The wait is killing me lol.

21 hours ago, formerfactory said:

Since you are a Canadian citizen, I would recommend that you look into some provincial assistance plans.  I know with Ontario you have the option of taking grant money only from OSAP, which in cases like mine can be several thousands of dollars.  If you haven't considered it, might be something to look into.

I'm a Canadian citizen but currently living abroad, so I had never heard of OSAP grant money, thank you so much this could literally change my life!

21 hours ago, formerfactory said:

I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from U of T.  The wait is killing me lol.

Best of luck and keep us posted! I hope you don't have to wait too long to find out.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:59 AM, formerfactory said:

Well just a few minutes ago a POI indicated that he would not be extending an offer.  Quite disappointed but it is a competitive field.

Sorry to hear that, may I ask what track you're applying? 

On 3/21/2017 at 0:32 AM, raulgool said:

Congrats! What track are you in? I'm still anxiously waiting....

16 hours ago, Drunkydropout said:

Sorry to hear that, may I ask what track you're applying? 

Oh don't be sorry, he was my first choice but not my last option.  I have a lot options so losing one is no big deal in the grand scheme. The professor was upfront about it.  Total class act.  Biomedical.  

Another institution has offered me a very large funding package and I have options (waiting on funding for others and direct-entry PhD)

1 hour ago, formerfactory said:

Oh don't be sorry, he was my first choice but not my last option.  I have a lot options so losing one is no big deal in the grand scheme. The professor was upfront about it.  Total class act.  Biomedical.  

Another institution has offered me a very large funding package and I have options (waiting on funding for others and direct-entry PhD)

Wow! Congrats! Sounds like good money! 

On 3/22/2017 at 5:29 AM, Ifyouletmefinnish said:

That's true, but only to cover the cost of the increased tuition fees for int'l students. As far as I can tell, both domestic and int'l students are left with ~$17k CAD to live on after tuition.

Both, actually! I'm a MASc applicant so I applied to the NSERC CGS-M, the results for which start to be released April 1st. OGS results start in July AFAIK.

Apartments on Bay st. go for 1k each month if you split it with other flatmates. There are cheaper housing options, usually, small houses with each room used just renting to individual students around the campus (usually south) for about 500-600 a month. Or you can choose to live farther away, which then you would need to commute every day, but you get more bang for your buck.

On 25/3/2017 at 7:52 AM, Drunkydropout said:

Congrats! What track are you in? I'm still anxiously waiting....

Thanks.

My doctoral program is in the field of Mixed VLSI design.