University of Washington Seattle 2017

nikkimx

Hello! I'm heading to UW in Seattle this fall, and I'm just creating this space for anyone else who is going to post. That way we can all have some sort of community going in, ask relevant questions about the transition to our new programs or Seattle, etc. 

I am headed into the Ph.D. program in Educational Psychology focusing on Learning Science and Human Development. Please share with us what program you're going into. Congrats! ?

Edited by nikkimx

• 5 weeks later...

Hi! Congrats on your admission!!

I am also going to start my Ph.D. in Educational Psychology focusing on Learning Science and Human Development at the University of Washington. I am happy to see you here!!

Edited by ywkim

Congrats to the both of you!!

I will also be starting the Ph.D. in Learning Sciences and Human Development program this fall. I visited a couple of different schools and met with prospective advisors before applying. I feel in love with the culture at UW's College of Education. I'm thrilled to start! Getting a community group started sounds like a great idea. Later around August/September, it would be nice for us to set-up a lunch/dinner in Seattle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, all!

I'll also be starting a PhD in Educational Psychology, but my specialization will be Measurement, Statistics, and Research Design.

Looking forward to meeting y'all, and I'd love to participate in some kind of community group. I doubt I'll be in Seattle before August, however.

re: apartments. I lived in Seattle about 3 years ago for my Master's, and found cragislist to be a good source for apartment rentals. I vaguely recall using a combination of padmapper and craigslist to find places, though perhaps there are better ways to go about that now. 3 years ago the market moved pretty fast, so I think the main value in looking now would just be to get a sense of how much things cost.

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2017 at 11:25 AM, ywkim said:

Hi! Congrats on your admission!!

I am also going to start my Ph.D. in Educational Psychology focusing on Learning Science and Human Development at the University of Washington. I am happy to see you here!!

On 4/4/2017 at 4:07 PM, haeyeunx said:

Congrats to the both of you!!

I will also be starting the Ph.D. in Learning Sciences and Human Development program this fall. I visited a couple of different schools and met with prospective advisors before applying. I feel in love with the culture at UW's College of Education. I'm thrilled to start! Getting a community group started sounds like a great idea. Later around August/September, it would be nice for us to set-up a lunch/dinner in Seattle. 

On 4/17/2017 at 8:30 PM, grumpyowl said:

Congratulations, all!

I'll also be starting a PhD in Educational Psychology, but my specialization will be Measurement, Statistics, and Research Design.

Looking forward to meeting y'all, and I'd love to participate in some kind of community group. I doubt I'll be in Seattle before August, however.

Oh my gosh, I totally missed your responses! I'm excited to see other people also heading into the same or similar programs at UW!

I would love to meet up with you guys!

I am moving on June 15th because I found a summer teaching job in Seattle. I found a cute duplex in Lynnwood for reasonable rent, so I'm moving there from CA super soon!

Where are you all moving from?

Do you have Facebook? I'll start a cohort group on Facebook or an email list for Ed Psych new admits if you PM me your details!

On 4/15/2017 at 5:52 PM, solemnmen said:

Have you been able to dig up any recommendations for good places to start your apartment hunt?

Craigslist is a good place to look for housing in Seattle

• 8 months later...

Hi all! Not sure this thread is still alive but I’ll give it a try. I’ve applied to the same program you are in and I’m so tired of waiting. Also, I have to tell my boss if I’m staying with my current position (which is pretty good, but it’s competitive and I have to reapply every year, and I’m about to miss the deadline) or I will drop it forever and join the research program of my dream. I’m trying to estimate the chances, so I’ll ask a couple of questions and hope you can help me.

Did you have interviews with your POI? Were you in contact with your POI?

Are there any international students in your cohort? How many people are in your cohort?

Do you know any faculty members who surely or most likely do not accept any students? 

Did you have research experience and publications in the field of education? I have only 7 years of teaching and research in another field, and I am an international candidate, so I’m not sure if the faculty will appreciate this.

When did it happen when you received your acceptances? Was it early in comparison to rejections?

Edited by Sofarsogood