European PhD programs

LeftCoast

I need some input

I recently had a professor of mine from business school send me a link about a PhD program in Germany that is a tremendous fit for my interests. I love the idea of spending a few years in Europe but am concerned about being employable in the US upon completion. I have heard that people who have doctoral degrees from European universities have a difficult time obtaining positions in the US.

Anybody have any info/input/suggestions???

I've heard the same thing as well. The idea of spending time in Europe is absolutely fun. But my professors told me that the chances of getting a decent job in the US is really hard with a phd from Europe. But then again, it is not impossible. I have seen few examples of it. If you study Europe, I think your chances would increase.

As a European myself, one of the reasons I'm applying to places in America is because an American Ph.D can open doors in both Europe and America, whereas a European Ph.D, unless it's from Oxbridge or a mainland equivalent, only really opens in the doors in Europe unless you're really good. One possibility for you could be to take a Ph.D in America and take a study abroad opportunity at a European partner? or even, try to apply for a Fulbright scholarship and get an MA, and then you could apply to a Ph.D in America with "Fulbright scholarship" on your CV.. anyway, unless you're absolutely sure you want to go to Europe, I'd suggest getting your Ph.D in America.

As a European myself, one of the reasons I'm applying to places in America is because an American Ph.D can open doors in both Europe and America, whereas a European Ph.D, unless it's from Oxbridge or a mainland equivalent, only really opens in the doors in Europe unless you're really good. One possibility for you could be to take a Ph.D in America and take a study abroad opportunity at a European partner? or even, try to apply for a Fulbright scholarship and get an MA, and then you could apply to a Ph.D in America with "Fulbright scholarship" on your CV.. anyway, unless you're absolutely sure you want to go to Europe, I'd suggest getting your Ph.D in America.

I second this. I'm European as well, and the academic job market will definitely be tougher for you coming from a European university than an American one (except perhaps for the LSE). If you can do your PhD in the U.S., then definitely go for it and -- I agree with Sanssouci -- try to squeeze in a year abroad in Europe if you can.

Also, as someone who's studied in both the U.S. & Europe, I can fairly say that the resources European universities have can in no way compare to those of American schools. Certain American towns & cities admittedly can't compare to London, Paris or Berlin, but the conditions in which you'll be studying in the States will definitely be much better.

I second this. I'm European as well, and the academic job market will definitely be tougher for you coming from a European university than an American one (except perhaps for the LSE). If you can do your PhD in the U.S., then definitely go for it and -- I agree with Sanssouci -- try to squeeze in a year abroad in Europe if you can.

Also, as someone who's studied in both the U.S. & Europe, I can fairly say that the resources European universities have can in no way compare to those of American schools. Certain American towns & cities admittedly can't compare to London, Paris or Berlin, but the conditions in which you'll be studying in the States will definitely be much better.

Thank you all for confirming what I already suspected was the case. Guess I'm gonna have to stay here for the next few years anyway.