UCI offers a pretty generous fellowship, and my POI there is absolutely great. However, I have an offer pending from a slightly higher-ranking UC, so I guess I'll see what they will offer and decide then. 

UCI's graduate housing seems great! If I accept, I will be moving there with my SO. 

Irvine is definitely an amazing fit, the atmosphere seems collegial and the weather is nice! I'll probably take the guaranteed on-campus housing offer, but I might splurge on the furnished apartments if they're available 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2017 at 11:32 PM, thewholeenchilada said:

I would definitely accept the housing offer as well. I am nervous about traveling cross country but it seems you are traveling cross continents?

yes! I've been an international student in the US since I first started college though, so I'm pretty used to it. Sorry I haven't been on gradcafe in a while, I don't want this thread to die! Have you already taken their offer?

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/30/2017 at 5:28 AM, Philosobroad said:

yes! I've been an international student in the US since I first started college though, so I'm pretty used to it. Sorry I haven't been on gradcafe in a while, I don't want this thread to die! Have you already taken their offer?

I just accepted my offer :D Very scary lol

I am attending UCI this coming fall, MFA in Art. Very excited!

I'm curious to know if Anyone has had personal experience or known of others that have successfully been able to bring there dog into graduate family housing (verano place or palo verde), as a "comfort/assistance" animal through the UCI Disiblities Service Center process??

I am married and have two young girls, 3 and 6. I think a grad family apt, in Irvine, will be the most viable financial option for us...
We've had our 12lb little chihuahua family dog for 13 years and can't imagine not making the move with her. 

@thewholeenchilada Cheers to you as well! I'm moving from San Francisco. What about you?

@Cengstro Very exciting, indeed! I'm not quite sure how the comfort/assistance animal process works, but I hope you are able to work something out with them!

Service dogs are not considered pets so it should be fine in housing. I would say give them a quick call they are very kind and patient.  If I am not mistaken I just think there is just a weight limit for service animals. Cats are definitely allowed.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:13 AM, Cengstro said:

I am attending UCI this coming fall, MFA in Art. Very excited!

I'm curious to know if Anyone has had personal experience or known of others that have successfully been able to bring there dog into graduate family housing (verano place or palo verde), as a "comfort/assistance" animal through the UCI Disiblities Service Center process??

I am married and have two young girls, 3 and 6. I think a grad family apt, in Irvine, will be the most viable financial option for us...
We've had our 12lb little chihuahua family dog for 13 years and can't imagine not making the move with her. 

On 5/4/2017 at 7:03 PM, starsloth said:

@thewholeenchilada Cheers to you as well! I'm moving from San Francisco. What about you?

@Cengstro Very exciting, indeed! I'm not quite sure how the comfort/assistance animal process works, but I hope you are able to work something out with them!

Just came from there! I am from the east coast so I am taking a journey lol

6 minutes ago, Cengstro said:

East coast also. Brooklyn -> Irvine!

Culture shock - but we will embrace. Beaches yes. Awesome education yes. Canyons/hiking yes. More outdoor space less congestion. Ready.