So overwhelmed!

jaaaayciee

I'm applying to Master's programs later this year in the fall for the fall 2018 year. I've had my list of schools planned out for quite some time but now that I have less than a year to get everything in, I think now its all starting to sink in. I just started studying for the GRE (my date is June 3), and the math portion is already murdering me. I'm afraid that my professors I plan on asking for LoRs don't consider me close enough to them to ask, and I'm just genuinely afraid that I won't be able to get in to school. There's so many things that go into graduate school and it's so overwhelming. However, any help I've been receiving from everybody on here makes things so much easier.

I hope I'm not the only one who's so overwhelmed.

I hear ya. I overwhelmed myself to the point that I only applied to 2 of the 8 schools I considered. I chickened out of the other 6 because I felt my application wouldn't be strong enough.

On the bright side, not getting in on your first application round isn't the end of the world. One friend of mine got rejected from a PhD program he really wanted to attend. He was upset of course, but he ended up having an amazing internship experience with the CDC in Atlanta instead. When one door closes, another one opens! And I'm sure he'll apply for a PhD again someday.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:33 PM, jaaaayciee said:

I'm applying to Master's programs later this year in the fall for the fall 2018 year. I've had my list of schools planned out for quite some time but now that I have less than a year to get everything in, I think now its all starting to sink in. I just started studying for the GRE (my date is June 3), and the math portion is already murdering me. I'm afraid that my professors I plan on asking for LoRs don't consider me close enough to them to ask, and I'm just genuinely afraid that I won't be able to get in to school. There's so many things that go into graduate school and it's so overwhelming. However, any help I've been receiving from everybody on here makes things so much easier.

I hope I'm not the only one who's so overwhelmed.

First of all, you still have plenty of time to prepare for the GRE! If you are finding the math portion difficult, I would recommend possibly getting a math student in the department as a tutor? Best advice is do as many problems as you can! Don't worry about the professors rejecting to write a LoR, that is still months away! Instead, focus on building your relationships with them, staying in touch etc. Similarly, the fear of grad school is so far in advance. Focus on what you do have control over! Build your application over the next few months, especially in areas you identify as weak. I would also recommend have a practical back up plan should things not work out-- whether this be applying for jobs in the winter for graduation etc. Most of all, don't focus too much on what you can't change. Focus on what you can do and stay positive!