Hello, would appreciate thoughts regarding graduate school decisions/comments from people in the same boat. Interested in the Middle East, development, and human rights. I have State Dept. experience and did some volunteer NGO work in Lebanon.

Accepted to: 

Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey - International Policy and Development MA program ($14k fellowship over 2 years)

George Washington University - Middle East Studies MA program, concentration in International Affairs and Development ($5k/year fellowship) - waiting on another fellowship that would fully fund 1st year.

Fletcher at Tufts University - MALD program ($24k fellowship over 2 years) 

SAIS at Johns Hopkins University - MA program, no funding 

still waiting on a decision from the Ford School at University of Michigan (MPP program). 

SAIS was my #1 because I wanted to strengthen my economic/quant skills.. took an online econ course to prepare and started to reconsider haha, and the $0 funding doesn't help. Fletcher seems up my alley with their human rights rep, and they gave me the most funding, but they're also more expensive than GWU and don't have the DC advantage. Michigan would probably be my top choice if I get accepted because of in-state tuition. Their MPP is ranked 3rd after Berkely and HKS, and they offer several international-oriented courses so I'd still walk away with the skills and expertise that I want. Middlebury is great but can't compare with the other schools, especially considering I will still have to take out significant loans to go there, so it's probably out of the running.

I prefer to be abroad post-graduation, and am also considering going the PhD route at some point in the future, so I'd like to be somewhere where I could do an MA thesis. 

and with that I welcome any thoughts/advice :)

So it appears your choices are between Fletcher and GWU so far. Take into account that Medford is much cheaper than DC so the tuition different might not be so large after all. Are you interested in World Bank, OAS, think-thank sort of jobs? If so GWU will have an edge for internships but Fletcher has lots of placement in those as well. If you're planning on working in another country (not through an IO) both are good choices and Fletcher offers summer internships abroad that are quite good. Neither of these are meant to get you to a phd but I believe that Fletcher does include a thesis. I would do a full outline of how much each program will run you and take a good long look at the curriculum. Also take into account which city you like more. Medford is a sleepy little town without much to boast for, yes it's 15 min from Boston but even that doesn't compare to the hustle and bustle of DC. Do you want to chill for two years and focus on school or do you want to be in a fast paced environment that allows you to work/intern part time and spend a considerable amount of time in traffic? It's up to you.

^^^ I have to agree with Ella16.

Based on your funding, it seems that it's Tufts vs. GWU, and if I were to be completely honest, I think Fletcher as a program is a leg up from Elliott if we put the location aside. I think reputation-wise, Fletcher is slightly more highly regarded. That said, you're also getting a much higher fellowship $$$, and if you're getting any type of loans, Fletcher has a great Loan Repayment Assistant Program (LRAP) if you pursue public service. Elliott does not have that type of program. In comparing rent, I'd say it's cheaper to live around Fletcher than it is around Elliott, which is smack-dab in the middle of DC, so unless you like again, how Ella16 put it, "hustle and bustle of DC", go for it if you can afford it, but it's probably that you'd have to live in Northern VA or in the MD side and will have to commute. Fletcher will feel more like a traditional campus. Personally, I would prefer the Fletcher setting if you want to focus on your studies while still having a strong network and that brand name IR school. Again, I think Fletcher is a little bit more known than Elliott, even internationally, so it would help post-abroad. It helps that Fletcher students can actually take classes at HKS and other schools plus the option of doing dual/joint degrees with other universities (even abroad).

If you're worried about internship options and really want to work in DC, Fletcher's network and reputation can definitely take you to DC during breaks. Elliott's DC advantage is being able to work/intern WHILE taking classes at night DURING the semesters, but I wonder if this will be really helpful to you since you'll be writing a thesis and would most likely not want to work anyway while doing your research (?). During the break, it's really a competition for all, and you shouldn't have a problem being on equal footing as DC kids at that time.

This is my opinion, and I'm planning to go to Elliott, but my circumstances are different than yours. Personally, I think Fletcher seems to be the best option in your case.

GWU would be the better choice based on location, internships, etc. While Fletcher does a lot more marketing than other schools to try to make up for the fact that it is located in Boston, GWU is in Foggy Bottom and you will certainly be in a better position for work in DC by going to GWU. But do you want to work in DC after graduation? You mentioned working abroad after graduation but making contacts with NGOs, development contractors, human rights organizations in DC can set you up for that. I disagree with the above poster that Fletcher is more well known than GWU internationally or somehow has a better reputation. You may actually run into a lot of people who have never heard of Fletcher. However, Fletcher is well known within the field of international development.

If you are interested in the Middle East, GWU is certainly a better choice than Fletcher. And GWU would be better for going into State. If you are interested in human rights/development, Fletcher may be the better choice, especially for international development. Good luck with your decision.

26 minutes ago, PaulRR said:

I disagree with the above poster that Fletcher is more well known than GWU internationally or somehow has a better reputation. You may actually run into a lot of people who have never heard of Fletcher. However, Fletcher is well known within the field of international development.

If you are interested in the Middle East, GWU is certainly a better choice than Fletcher. And GWU would be better for going into State. If you are interested in human rights/development, Fletcher may be the better choice, especially for international development.

Even a quick rundown through this forum shows that when anything IR-related is in question for programs, the first ones mentioned are SAIS, SFS, SIPA and Fletcher. Within the DC community, sure, people know GWU, but outside the US, people just confused GWU with GT because they don't know GWU. I say that from experience. So sure, if OP wants to stay in DC, GWU is great, and I agree that GWU feeds into the State really well. I also agree that GWU is doing quite well in regional studies these days. I actually think that's a real strong point. But if OP wants to go abroad, Fletcher I think is definitely more recognized. But this would matter less if OP wants to go into the public sector.

Still, finances considered, Fletcher still wins in my book. Internships wouldn't be a problem either, I'd say, because I reckon OP will be too busy with his/her thesis during the semester, so breaks will be open for going to DC or even NY from Boston.

Thank you for your input, everyone! It's very helpful to hear your points of views, but I am not yet set on a decision haha. I'd still like to consider SAIS despite no funding, as I'm waiting for a reply from Pickering and that could be a game-changer. I would also appreciate advice considering Michigan's MPP and walking away with a maximum of $50k in student debt, vs. Fletcher or GWU, where tuition alone is going to be $65k. 

I'm interested in State for sure but don't see it as a lifetime career unless Pickering pans out. If not, I would love to end up working in Lebanon, either at a think tank/NGO or one of the UN agencies, ESCWA, UNICEF, and UNHCR are my preferences. If I go the PhD route, it would be so that I could teach at the American University of Beirut or Lebanese American University. I know what my interests are, but not so much my ultimate career goals, and I think delving further in the topics I'm interested in through an MA are a good way to develop a better sense of what I want to do as my day-to-day job. 

I do agree that GWU is better for focusing on the Middle East, and the Middle East is my main priority (heritage Arabic speaker, lived in the region, family there, etc.), but I do think Fletcher could also be a great place for regional studies specifically because of their Fares Center for Eastern Meditteranean Studies.. my focus within the Middle East is definitely the Levant, especially Lebanon. GWU also has courses that would allow me to focus on the Levant more, and they even allow study abroad at the American University of Beirut, which is a plus.

I have to strongly disagree with Student007's comment that people abroad do not know GWU. They are far more likely to know GWU than Fletcher, especially because of the vast number of diplomats, businessmen, and others from around the world that pass through DC. Fletcher has a great reputation for international development, but it does not have as much name recognition as GWU. Yes, foreign bureaucrats attend Fletcher but overall I would say GWU is more well known. This is based on experience. As for GWU being confused with GT internationally, I have never seen that in my experience. Both are great schools, of course, and Fletcher may be the right choice for you based on other factors such as its focus on international development.

Edited by PaulRR

Personally, I think you get what you pay for, and the opportunities at Fletcher and GWU will benefit you far more than being at Michigan due to the location, reputation and alumni network.

Since you say that the ME is your main priority, as much as I have been pushing for Fletcher here, I think Elliott may actually help you more in this in the long run because of the relative strength of Elliott in regional studies and because of the opportunity to study abroad at AU in Beirut. Applying for PhD is a whole 'nother beast, but one of the most important things in going into a PhD is finding an advisor that's willing to take you on, and one that you can create a really comfortable relationship with, which you can gain by spending time there. And even if you do go to AU in Beirut, you can still network there with professors outside that school and find a potential advisor for your future PhD. I think this is especially important as you can introduce yourself personally to these potential advisors--not to mention, PhD programs are more competitive, so having a connection in the university--let alone country--would be greatly beneficial.

I think even if you're unsure if a doctorate program is where you're headed right after graduate studies, a regional studies graduate would seem more credible having lived in the area they specialized in rather one that has only studied it in books, so in the end, it will help you with employment relevant to ME.

2 hours ago, Student007 said:

Personally, I think you get what you pay for, and the opportunities at Fletcher and GWU will benefit you far more than being at Michigan due to the location, reputation and alumni network.

Since you say that the ME is your main priority, as much as I have been pushing for Fletcher here, I think Elliott may actually help you more in this in the long run because of the relative strength of Elliott in regional studies and because of the opportunity to study abroad at AU in Beirut. Applying for PhD is a whole 'nother beast, but one of the most important things in going into a PhD is finding an advisor that's willing to take you on, and one that you can create a really comfortable relationship with, which you can gain by spending time there. And even if you do go to AU in Beirut, you can still network there with professors outside that school and find a potential advisor for your future PhD. I think this is especially important as you can introduce yourself personally to these potential advisors--not to mention, PhD programs are more competitive, so having a connection in the university--let alone country--would be greatly beneficial.

I think even if you're unsure if a doctorate program is where you're headed right after graduate studies, a regional studies graduate would seem more credible having lived in the area they specialized in rather one that has only studied it in books, so in the end, it will help you with employment relevant to ME.

Thank you so much, Student007, but I've already done a lot of what you're saying, which is why this decision is a bit more difficult/there's a lot more to consider. I lived in Lebanon for three years, attended AUB while I was there, and have significant ties to the region. I obviously would love to go back, which is why GWU still has a lot of weight regarding my decision.

Michigan still has a strong reputation in International Affairs and a huge alumni network, it actually ranks the same as Middlebury Institute according to FP Magazine, which is surprising considering MIIS is strictly an international studies school (source: http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/02/03/top-twenty-five-schools-international-relations/

I definitely have a lot to think about over the next few weeks. I've made a pros/cons list but every school is so different that I'm having difficulty comparing them.

Thank you to everyone who commented for your help and insight. It looks like I won't be choosing between Fletcher and GWU after all, because Michigan gave me a full ride that I just can't walk away from. I'd be happy to talk to anyone who finds themselves in the midst of a similarly difficult decision.