How do I decide between two great schools?

Hi all,

I have applied and been accepted to two schools for my PhD (fully funded), both of which are fantastic schools for my discipline.  School A is a top public university and I’d be working with two senior PIs who are legends in the field, and who have very deep pockets. Students at school A always have supplies, instrument time, opportunities to attend domestic and international conferences, etc... School B is also a top public university but with younger PIs and less money. 

I’m slightly more interested in the research at school A, but I like the department at school B more. Plus, my partner has a pretty high chance of getting a job in the same city as school B. But, I think that working with the advisors at school A might provide more opportunities for me in the long-run.

I’m having a hard time weighting these issues. What’s more important: the research that I work on, or the environment of the department and being with my significant other?

Has anyone else had to grapple with these issues? Any advice?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, olv_cpx_plag_mt said:

Plus, my partner has a pretty high chance of getting a job in the same city as school B. But, I think that working with the advisors at school A might provide more opportunities for me in the long-run.

If you think your partner may be the one, school B.

If your partner is the one and your career path has greater earning potential, still school B.

My $0.02.

I don't think this is a question someone else can answer for you. If you consider career advancement alone, I'd go with school A. But whether or not your partner is more important than your career/PhD program is a personal choice for you to make. It'll depend on how serious the relationship is, how supportive your partner is of both options, the distance between the school you attend and where your partner works/ends up working, etc... We can't tell you if it's worth it to have a long distance relationship so that you can attend a school that will provide better funding and stronger career potential. All you can do is make the best decision you can based on the information that you currently have. You have two great options so it will work out in the end no matter what you decide.   

Does younger PIs at school B mean untenured? What are your options if someone you're counting on doesn't get tenure? (Or, if they just take another offer and leave?) If they are relatively inexperienced, is there any kind of placement track record for you to look at? Have they trained students who've successfully graduated and gotten jobs like you'd like to have? If you are confident that school B can provide a solid training and you're not sacrificing more than you are comfortable with, life considerations are important. If, on the other hand, this will lead to a serious compromise, it's something to be very aware of so you don't resent your partner later. I find the coin-toss method pretty effective. Or, alternatively, spend some time thinking "I'm going to school A/B!" and see how that makes you feel. Are you happy, or regretting your decision?

Honestly, I'm a career-first person so I'd go with School A. As you said, it'll give you better opportunities in the long run, which improves the likelihood that you and your partner will be able to find jobs in the same city post-PhD. 

Thank you all again for your thoughts. 

On 3/17/2017 at 9:20 PM, fuzzylogician said:

Does younger PIs at school B mean untenured? 

The PI at school B is tenured and she has a great track record of successful students. I think she's at the top of her game right now. She just had a paper published in the top journal in the field and is likely to have more. She also has a fully funded project for me to work on.

Conversely, the PI at school A has already made a name for herself and might be nearing the latter part of her career (I suspect she'll retire in the next 10-15 years). With  PI A I would get to help write the grant that will fund me (she has a successful track record of funded proposals) which is a unique opportunity. Although, to be honest, I'm a little nervous about the fate of science funding right now. :/ 

Both schools have really ramped up the recruitment this week. I've received emails from students and admin asking if they can offer assistance. School A even offered me a "welcome package" to help defray the costs of moving. Have any of you had to deal with this heavy recruitment before? How do you manage it and not let if sway your decision?