Getting waaaaaay ahead of myself

jambromr

Although I would be happy to attend any of the seven or so schools I have applied to, there is this one program I really really really really want to attend.

A few weeks ago, I got an interview invitation and I will be visiting the place next week.

Needless to say, I am super excited (esp. since it's one of the only two schools that have actually acknowledged my existence so far;))

The problem is, although I know there's still a chance I could be rejected after the interview, I can't help myself planning my future revolving around the program.

I've already checked housing conditions, the living standard of the place, what VISA to get, checked the area around the school, attractions of the city etc. etc.

I like everything I see but I'm afraid I will be more than heartbroken if, god forbid, I am NOT accepted.... :(

Anybody else getting way to hopeful?

Although I would be happy to attend any of the seven or so schools I have applied to, there is this one program I really really really really want to attend.

A few weeks ago, I got an interview invitation and I will be visiting the place next week.

Needless to say, I am super excited (esp. since it's one of the only two schools that have actually acknowledged my existence so far;))

The problem is, although I know there's still a chance I could be rejected after the interview, I can't help myself planning my future revolving around the program.

I've already checked housing conditions, the living standard of the place, what VISA to get, checked the area around the school, attractions of the city etc. etc.

I like everything I see but I'm afraid I will be more than heartbroken if, god forbid, I am NOT accepted.... :(

Anybody else getting way to hopeful?

Checking out housing prices, etc. is probably a good idea. I'd assume the chances of your being accepted are high, so you may as well inform yourself as best you can.

If you get rejected...deal with it then. ::shrug::

Well I'm almost to that point with one place, except that I haven't been invited to an interview and probably won't be accepted. As long as you don't abandon the possibility of attending one of the other places you applied to, I don't think it's too bad to get ahead of yourself like that.

Congratulations on getting an interview invite for your top choice!

I am totally doing this! I got really attached to my top choice and now I'm getting waaay ahead of myself (mostly in my thoughts). I won't go into detail because on some level I'm paranoid that even talking about it will jinx me :rolleyes: but lets just say that I have, in great detail, imagined my way through 5-6 years there already! I suppose this is dangerous for all the obvious reasons (heartbreak if I don't get in, disappointment if it isn't as awesome as I think it would be, etc.) but at least it's a good sign that I can see myself feeling at home and being successful in that program.

So I say, let your imagination run wild and take cues from your gut. Starting grad school is a major life event and it's important to feel connected to your decision. Good luck!

Yeah, I've started looking at apartments online and my husband has made a list of jobs to apply to in the area. I'll know what my funding package is by Feb. 15th so I'm holding tight until then. Probably far too attached to the idea than I should be, though!

I'm totally guilty of this. I've been admitted to my 2nd choice school already and it looks really good for my 1st choice. I've scoped out both places online and made price comparisons. I haven't been told what kind of funding I'll get at either so I'm really searching blindly, but I'm from Chicago and cost of living pretty much everywhere else seems like it's going to be a steal! $500 for a 1 bedroom apt makes living on a grad student stipend seem way more reachable!

Hey, what is the waiting period for if not for unchecked fantasizing?? We've got to do SOMETHING while we wait for decisions!

I am, of course, guilty as well...I already have a plan A and a plan B for living situations, and I've discussed endless different potential financial situations with my fiance...it's actually pretty weird now that I think about it that laying out a (potential) budget should be such a guilty pleasure...hmmmmmm......

I keep fantasizing about the weather in Berkeley and how it would not get nearly as hot in the Summer as it does here in Atlanta while also probably not even getting as cold during the Winter as it does here. I find that absolutely amazing and beautiful.

I keep fantasizing about the weather in Berkeley and how it would not get nearly as hot in the Summer as it does here in Atlanta while also probably not even getting as cold during the Winter as it does here. I find that absolutely amazing and beautiful.

Bay Area weather is nice. Doesn't get too hot here, maybe 100 at the hottest. Winter will drop to around 40s in the morning and heat up to about mid 50s in the afternoon. We don't get snow here except in the hills and if you want to ski you'll have to drive about 4-6 hours. We do get earthquakes though and it doesn't really bother people too much unless it's over a 6.0.

Hah. I can't wait to get out of Berkeley. No fall, no winter... The bay area weather is nice, but boring beyond all belief.

Of course, when you live in Soda Hall, weather doesn't matter anyway. ;)

Edited by lemur