Stanford 2017

Rocky123

Hey guys,

I thought I may as well start this. International student from Australia going to Stanford for Geological Sciences PhD this fall (2017).

I am super excited! Can't wait for a change, a new chapter and to make new friends! :)

Also, what are you guys doing for housing? 

Hi! I'm going for Earth System Science! Same school! *high five*

I'm also beyond excited. I only applied to this program and still can't believe I got in, to be honest. But after learning about my PI's work I just had such a hard time getting exciting about other labs, and all of the faculty I met with on interview day did a great job reassuring me I can kick butt at Stanford.

As for housing, I'll definitely be living on campus, at least for the first couple of years, I imagine. I haven't had roommates since 2012 so it's going to be an adjustment (not trying to pay that extra money for a studio, hopefully I can at least get my own bathroom). I like to work at weird hours so being close to campus is really important to me. Financially, on campus housing seems like the best option by far, and 3/4 of the grad students I asked told me to live on campus. What are you thinking?

I'm from Northern California so I don't have a crazy move like you. Are you excited about living in the Bay/ sad about leaving Australia?

Do you guys rotate in geology or is it direct admit like ESS?

Cheers!

Hi,

*high five*

I am super glad you replied! I finally have someone to chat about all this stuff with! And wow you only applied to Stanford?! I don't think I could have handled the pressure! Good on you for going with your gut! :)

And I am jealous you got to go for a visit - I still haven't seen the place! I don't think they pay for internationals to fly over for the weekend. Super glad you got good vibes!! The excitement is building up as I write this!

Hmm yes I was thinking of that too - for the first year at least. I think I am in a similar position I enjoy my own space, but I think half of the Stanford experience will be the people. Plus its and entirely new school, (A new country for me!) so we have to make friends we can go to when things start getting tough in the later years!! I think on campus will be good for this. Plus you're also right about proximity - I get up super early!

I have been looking at Rains and Munger. Munger is expensive though - not sure if it is worth it...it takes up almost 50% of the stipend! And I have asked 3 people and 2 have told me to live on campus and one has told me to live in the off-campus subsidized apartments. I can see benefits in both.

Off-campus apartments are much nicer for the same price plus you have a larger room. And you're often closer to the grocery stores.

On-campus is more social and closer to classes and labs etc. But apparently it is a trek to the groceries unless if you have a car its difficult to carry back. But surely someone you know on campus will have a car so it shouldn't be too hard to car pool.

So yea a tough choice...but nevertheless be will make friends through classes I am sure.

I am not sure what you mean by rotate. I think I just stay in the geology department...

Also a question do you know what we do after we accept the offer and make and SUID. I haven't been given instructions further than that. I was wondering if you might know?

I think your deadline was earlier than ours so you might be able to shine some light.

Thanks again! :)

In ESS, we're admitted directly to a specific lab. More typically, incoming grad students rotate through multiple labs in their department and then pick the best fit, so I was just curious how it works in geology.

A week or so after I made my ID and accepted my offer, I received an email with links to information including how to check my To Do list in Axess, where to send official transcripts, incoming health requirements, housing, etc. But other than that, nothing of note. I'll try to remember to let you know if anything else comes up, but I'm trying to start in summer so I imagine my situation might be a bit different than yours.

Cheers.

Thanks for letting me know!

Unfortunately I haven’t received such an email - might be different in the geology department...

I did get an email requesting my official transcript from my university though so maybe that is why...? 

I just organised getting them sent today so might take a week or two.

I am trying to start in the summer too! 

Exciting! Yes I would love it if you kept me in the loop. :)

Thank you!

Just accepted the offer in Computer Science department. It was a difficult decision to make as I have another competing offer from Berkeley. 

I went to the PhD admits weekend and my impression for the housing is very good. I'm thinking to live on campus as it is bike-distance. I have been living in a single dorm room most of my undergrad life (finishing this year). So I guess it takes some adjustment. I wish I could have my own bathroom though.

Anyway, is there any whatsapp group of Stanford PhD admits I can join? I quitted Facebook years ago and don't want to go back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i got in the learning, design & technology program. Will be coming from pakistan. Definitely looking for housing inside stanford, the rest of the options seem pretty expensive. 
The best option seems like the escondido village housing.

Hey,

Got accepted for MS in Sustainable Design and Construction-Sustainable Urban Systems track. I am from India and excited to join Stanford. I was wondering, when is everyone planning to move into housing. Plus, how hard is it to survive without a car in Stanford?

• 1 month later...

I got assigned to Locale which is in Redwood city - a bit of a trek. I would prefer Oak Creek I have applied for reassignment into  Oak creek. Either way I am not too worried about it. 

This is exciting! Rains sounds fun! :)

A hidden benefit of Off campus I guess is you get free Caltrain passes!

Edited by Rocky123

Yeah I'm reapplying to try to get into EV. I'm fine with my Oak Creek assignment but I want one of those EV full size beds! And I think being part of the on campus community would be good for me. 

• 1 month later...

Hello! I saw that the courses are out for 17/18

I was wondering if anyone knew where we could look up professors and or courses? Looking to read reviews from previous students (if this exists for grad school). I used to do this in undergrad