What should I get my host in interview weekend

shai

I def. wouldn't give a CD, if I even gave anything. The unspoken rule is that you get hosted when you apply, and you then host when you're in. Someone hosted your host a year to a few years ago, so it's not like they didn't get anything out of the system.

I'm all about hospitality, but I truly doubt I'll give any of my hosts anything.

Edited by LaurenA

I like Fuzzy Logician's idea. Nothing too fancy as it may come off as desperate or trying a little too hard. Getting a bookmark sounds like a perfect idea, it happens to be a gift you picked up along the way but it also shows that it's the thought that counts. In any case, do what you feel is comfortable. Congrats on the interview!

I think it is best not to take something that relies too heavily on personal taste/ style, and also to take something that will not make you feel awkward when you give it, if you take anything at all.

I am going to an interview weekend tomorrow, and am taking some chocolates with me. I am coming from London, so its kinda like a local thing (I have found that our British chocolate is certainly different from American chocolate, better in my opinion but I am biased!). I got some bars for my hosts and a box for the rest of the faculty as I am meeting with loads of people but spending more time with some than others. I just personally feel like I want to take something, maybe its a cultural thing?

Good luck with your interview :)

Throw the mix tape in the trash, get them, if a guy a nice bottle of alcohol, or if a woman a nice bottle of wine. This would be a very sincere gesture unless you are interviewing at a Baptist school, and in that case just give them CD.

I think it is best not to take something that relies too heavily on personal taste/ style, and also to take something that will not make you feel awkward when you give it, if you take anything at all.

I am going to an interview weekend tomorrow, and am taking some chocolates with me. I am coming from London, so its kinda like a local thing (I have found that our British chocolate is certainly different from American chocolate, better in my opinion but I am biased!). I got some bars for my hosts and a box for the rest of the faculty as I am meeting with loads of people but spending more time with some than others. I just personally feel like I want to take something, maybe its a cultural thing?

Good luck with your interview :)

If you brought Cadbury chocolate and I was the host I'd be really happy! The Cabury stuff available in the US just isn't the same!

Throw the mix tape in the trash, get them, if a guy a nice bottle of alcohol, or if a woman a nice bottle of wine. This would be a very sincere gesture unless you are interviewing at a Baptist school, and in that case just give them CD.

That's a rather interesting stereotype you're promoting there. I'm female, but I'd rather the nice bottle of alcohol, unless the person happened to hit on one of the the kinds of wine I like.

a. Don't you think that alcohol is pushing it ? I don't know how old the guy is, and if he ever drinks. Also, alcohol tends to be pretty expensive...

b. I come from Israel. Wouldn't a CD / book of alocal band/author come out as interesting ? what do the amreicans in this forum think ?

problem with music is that people have very well defined tastes by the time they get out of college.

if you can afford, you can take your host out to lunch and avoid having to think about what they'll like or what's appropriate.

Darn, the idea of a gift never even crossed my mind until now...and I'm literally on my way to my first interview! (am sitting in Charlotte Douglas waiting to board in 5') As someone who has hosted and been hosted by strangers through couchsurfing.com, I can tell you that I personally don't expect anything from my guest, nor does anyone expect anything from me, much less if it's at the recommendation of some authority (i.e. my advisor). So relax and focus on what you're going to say on the interview itself :)

I didn't take anything to my first interview. I'd actually bought a bottle of nice-ish local wine, but at the last minute I decided to fly carry-on only, so of course I couldn't take it. I don't think it was a problem at all, and I'm not planning on bringing a gift for my other interviews. Certainly, nobody brought a gift for the faculty they were meeting and I think it would have been strange had they done so.

I think the "local flavor" idea is the best, if you bring a gift (I doubt its expected). I grew up in Boston, so I'd get them a mini bottle of maple syrup, maple sugar candy, or salt water taffy. If I were coming from Chicago, I don't know what I get (it's hard to bring a Chicago-style hot dog on a plane... ditto deep dish pizza, gyroburgers, etc).

As someone who likes obscure music, unless there was a very specific reason for someone to give me that specific CD (a student from New Orleans, for example, could get me some traditional Cajun music because I feel everyone might be willing to give that a go), I'd be like "Uh great... these guys are uhh.... I know someone who likes these guys, yeah." And then I'd JUDGE THEM for their music taste. So maybe just get them candy! A bottle of wine seems fine for anyone (but apparently real men don't drink wine), though it seems slightly presumptuous to give a stranger alcohol (maybe I was friends with too many sXe kids in high school).

I'm a guy and just about the only alcohol I do drink is wine. (That and beer) Then again, I do live in Wine Country and I can get locally bottled wines easily and cheaply/free. (Friends of vintners or their adult kids). So if I would probably consider this an appropriate local gift.

I second the local flavor idea---especially since you're coming so from abroad.

If there's a local portable food or chocolate, that's always nice, but a simple thank you card that you leave with your host right before you depart is probably the simplest and least controversial gesture of appreciation.

I agree that:

1. wine vs. liquor by gender is...disconcerting

2. liquor, at all, is a bit much -- how do you know the person isn't in recovery? devout? will think you are trying to poison them to take their spot?

3. A CD is wayyyy too John Hughes for me. People still have CDs even?

I think a nice, sincere thank you note or email is sufficient BUT if I were to give a gift I love the bookmark idea. Also maybe a small bag of coffee or tea or something so milquetoast as to be impossible to offend. Or, while you are there pay attention to them and see if there is a small thing they seem to like. If it's not sincere -- whether a note or a gift -- and doesn't show some thoughtfulness I say you are safer not saying or giving it.

Edited by coyabean

I'm bringing local sweets from Japan, where I'm studying this year. It's a Japanese custom to always bring some foodstuff - often a small box of sweets - whenever you visit anyone; so I figure my hosts, who will likely be in some area of Asian history, would understand and appreciate such a gesture. Plus, who doesn't like sweets? (Please don't let my hosts be diabetic!)

I'm bringing local sweets from Japan, where I'm studying this year. It's a Japanese custom to always bring some foodstuff - often a small box of sweets - whenever you visit anyone; so I figure my hosts, who will likely be in some area of Asian history, would understand and appreciate such a gesture. Plus, who doesn't like sweets? (Please don't let my hosts be diabetic!)

Please just don't give them 餡子!

I treat this as "what to give your crush on valentine's day". A music CD might be a bit odd (you don't know their taste and itunes giftcards really are not cool), but a bottle of wine or booze for a guy is absolutely fine, especially when you enjoy it together with your hosts. Other than that, bring something unique from your home state or country. (grad students yearn for caffeine, so if some uni pays me to fly over I'll get them some good loose tea.) Or perhaps you could them cook a nice meal?

sD.