Decided but not funded

Dwr

Because I didn't get the only funding for Oxford I could apply to as an overseas student, I am just bawling like a child. Linguistics does not get any funding unless you are doing something politically trendy.

My funded (and rather prestigious) option is on a horrible continent. I love my potential supervisors and some of the work going on at the department, but that is it. The place I cannot cope with.

I am just crying all the time.

Edited by Dwr

Take your time to mourn for this year, but then it'll be time to regroup and look for options that have better funding options for next year. Those do exist in linguistics, but you have to know where to find them. Stay strong! 

(And in case this helps, look for posts in the Linguistics board from a not-at-all-happy former Oxford student, to see that you may have dodged a bullet!)

Thank you, but I have to go. I cannot take any time off. I believe I could possibly apply when I am already some way into the funded program, but reference letters and that you do not stick to what you have started, I don't think it would work. Maybe even hurt me. I would sell my soul to the devil to get funding for Oxford. 

For what it's worth, I understand feeling this way, but at some point you'll need to decide to be happy with the option that you have. Being miserable because you didn't get your top choice is fine for a bit but isn't really a good life choice. You have funding and good supervisors, and I hope you'll like the work you do. You might learn to like the place, but even if not, keep in mind that (i) it's temporary, and (ii) regardless of where we live, we end up really only living in the small confines of our home and work, and as long as you make your home and work pleasant, a lot of the other stuff doesn't need to bother you too much, unless you choose to let it (and to a large extent it is a choice!). As for leaving a program mid-way through, it depends on what you'd leave it for. I left an MA program mid-way through to start a PhD program at a top school, and it hasn't hurt me. Stopping and starting another MA might be a different story. But before you make plans for leaving, I suggest you make a serious effort at making yourself happy where you are and planning on staying. Otherwise, I really don't see the point in going in the first place. Nothing good can come out of going to a place you've already decided is horrible. 

Absolutely no way of hanging around here, so as you say, I will have to learn to be happy with what I have and make things pleasant around me. However, at this point I am so tired. Thank you for being helpful.

6 hours ago, juilletmercredi said:

How can an entire continent be horrible?

You love your potential advisors and the work that you are going to be doing at your upcoming program. That's great news! This sounds like a GOOD choice for you.

If OP isn't talking about Antarctica, I'm with you.

Also, why apply to a school on a "horrible" continent? One can't exactly take the train to Paris for the weekend.  

Not sure whether the OP is admitted to the Mst or Mphil. One of my friends is admitted to the Mst in linguistics at Oxford for fall 2017, and she does not get any funding either. Past Mst or Mphil students I know are all funded by resources external to the faculty. You may have applied to Ertegun but not get awarded for Ertegun (which is a scholarship scheme external to the faculty of general ling). This is not your fault at all. Even though not said explicitly on the website of Ertegun, Ertegun has some preferences for philosophy and classics courses, which are in the two strong faculties of Oxford (i.e. faculty of philosophy, and faculty of classics). Indeed, funding allocated to the faculty from the central university to support master students in the faculty of ling at Oxford is rather limited, and students typically are either self-funded or funded by external funding scheme, whether such schemes are from their respective colleges, their respective governments, or other funding agencies. 

So, I would say that you are not alone, and many of the admitted students or current students are on the same boat with you. If I were you, I would certainly go to the funded program elsewhere. After all, getting into a funded program will not only benefit you financially, but also make your CV look good.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:51 AM, juilletmercredi said:

How can an entire continent be horrible?

You love your potential advisors and the work that you are going to be doing at your upcoming program. That's great news! This sounds like a GOOD choice for you.

Well it can be horrible if it is very far away from where you want to be. It's not the case that I'm trying to insult bits of land.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:25 PM, DiscoTech said:

If OP isn't talking about Antarctica, I'm with you.

Also, why apply to a school on a "horrible" continent? One can't exactly take the train to Paris for the weekend.  

It's about the same climate. I did not write a post about this to explain to you why I make the choices I make. I wrote because I earned the right to an option that makes me happier, and I cannot really have it because of funding problems. Do you also need colour pens? 

On 3/20/2017 at 7:36 AM, historicallinguist said:

Not sure whether the OP is admitted to the Mst or Mphil. One of my friends is admitted to the Mst in linguistics at Oxford for fall 2017, and she does not get any funding either. Past Mst or Mphil students I know are all funded by resources external to the faculty. You may have applied to Ertegun but not get awarded for Ertegun (which is a scholarship scheme external to the faculty of general ling). This is not your fault at all. Even though not said explicitly on the website of Ertegun, Ertegun has some preferences for philosophy and classics courses, which are in the two strong faculties of Oxford (i.e. faculty of philosophy, and faculty of classics). Indeed, funding allocated to the faculty from the central university to support master students in the faculty of ling at Oxford is rather limited, and students typically are either self-funded or funded by external funding scheme, whether such schemes are from their respective colleges, their respective governments, or other funding agencies. 

So, I would say that you are not alone, and many of the admitted students or current students are on the same boat with you. If I were you, I would certainly go to the funded program elsewhere. After all, getting into a funded program will not only benefit you financially, but also make your CV look good.

I will have to go and make the best of it. I'm not complaining about the school I am going to either, just the location will make life something to cope with rather than enjoy for five years. That's all. I would likely be happy at Oxford.

Thank you for explaining the workings of the ertegun thing. They really should make that clear, and also send a bulk email for rejections. They are rude and unclear. On the web page it says "if you have not received an email by the end of April, then blah blah". So what do people do, sit on their hands for a month to work out it's a no? 

Edited by Dwr