University of Houston's SLP Program Questions

Hey guys!

So I recently got accepted into U of H's SLP grad program and I would love some more information from current/past students. How do/did you like the program? Pros/cons? What really sold you on this program?

Any responses are greatly appreciated. :)

During the interview process I had a student show me around the campus a bit and she told me it was a great fit for her and she loved the support she received from the faculty. She said it was very easy to communicate and meet with her professors and that they were always open to any questions she had. She commutes from North Houston and said it wasn't too bad of a drive. She also liked that she had a placement in a bilingual elementary school and the medical center. 

I am having a hard time deciding between UH and several other programs.... :wacko:

1 hour ago, MeliSLP said:

During the interview process I had a student show me around the campus a bit and she told me it was a great fit for her and she loved the support she received from the faculty. She said it was very easy to communicate and meet with her professors and that they were always open to any questions she had. She commutes from North Houston and said it wasn't too bad of a drive. She also liked that she had a placement in a bilingual elementary school and the medical center. 

I am having a hard time deciding between UH and several other programs.... :wacko:

Ahh thanks so much for this! I am accepting UH on Friday and scheduled a tour on campus too. They were super accommodating and even scheduled me with a professor to show me around (from my experience, tours are usually given by the grad students). My SLP supervisor and a colleague both attended UH and had nothing but great things to say about the program.

Edited by paceslp

4 hours ago, that1girlwhotalkstoomuch said:

@paceslp How was the tour?

The tour was great. The professor showed me the lecture room, where therapy takes place, how we are observed during the sessions (a professor was watching a session live on her computer), the materials/toy closet (so. many. toys.), the lounge/grad student office. I actually saw an old classmate during the tour and she told me she was very happy with the program.

Target class size is ~40 people and you start off with more coursework in the beginning (lighter clinical commitment; i.e. you will have 1-3 clients the first semester). They also try to ensure that clients are assigned appropriately; i.e. they won't assign you to an advanced case if you do not have the coursework under your belt. If this does happen, they offer a lot of support to the student. All classes + first year clinical training is in the same building (across the street of the rest of campus). In regards to the schedule, all students are on the exact same schedule: 2 days of class and 2 days of evening class. If you are bilingual there is a bilingual supervisor to oversee you. Overall, I got the impression that the professors and clinical supervisors are very supportive of the students. The professor emphasized how tight-knit the cohort is and how well the professors and students get to know each other, but I think with any small program this is bound to be the case.