hantoo

Hi everyone,

So tomorrow I am Skyping with my POI at a program I've been accepted to. I've had consistent contact with her throughout the application process, since I've been admitted, etc. She wanted to give me the opportunity to ask more questions about the program and discuss funding during this conversation.  I have not yet accepted the offer as I am still waiting on several responses and considering my options, but right now this program is at the top of my list. What types of questions should I ask that could help me make a decision? I am certainly interested in learning more about my funding options, TAships, opportunities to attend conferences, etc. Would it be appropriate to ask her things like where grad students typically live, or other more logistical information, or would that be something I should ask other grad students? Also, as I have not yet accepted the offer, how can I politely say that I'm still considering my options, but there's a good possibility I'll be attending this school?

I will not be able to attend the admitted students weekend for this program, so I want to be sure I make the most of this conversation and get as many questions answered as I can. Let me know what you think!

I think you're on the right track with regard to asking about funding, TAships, conference funding, etc.  You might also ask about summer funding, and what kinds of resources/workshops the department has to help students prepare to apply for research grants and other outside funding sources.

In terms of logistical stuff like where to look for apartments, you might ask your POI to put you in touch with a current grad student who can answer those questions.

55 minutes ago, hantoo said:

Also, as I have not yet accepted the offer, how can I politely say that I'm still considering my options, but there's a good possibility I'll be attending this school?

Something along the lines of, "I'm still keeping all my options open, but your school/program/department is near the top of my list and I'm excited about the possibility of attending in the Fall."  Faculty members know the drill - they've heard different iterations of this phrase for years now, so I doubt your POI will take offense.  Best of luck!