Clinical Fellowships?

Out of curiosity, is it possible/ common to complete your clinical fellowship somewhere other than where you completed your masters? For example, could I go to the University of Colorado - Boulder for my masters and then complete my fellowship at, say, UCSF's Voice and Swallowing Center? (Those are randomly chosen examples.) Or do people typically rely on their university having connections to practitioners and clinics/ schools/ hospitals close to them? Thanks!

Edited by SopranoSLP

I think it depends on the school. Some schools may find fellowships for you or help you, while at other schools, you may be completely on your own. If you are interested in doing this, I would recommend contacting both the school that you are completing your masters at and specific places you would be interested in completing a fellowship at so you can gauge how open the programs are to this situation. Good luck!

From my understanding your clinical fellowship year is not affiliated with a school. Your school MIGHT help you find one, but outside of that you're on your own. Think of it as a job with a mentor rather than education. As long as you get the licensed in the state you want to do your CFY in, it shouldn't matter where you went to school. You can find job posting for people willing to take on CFY's. 

Are you referring to your externships? It really depends on contracts your school has and whether they could make a new one, especially at another university. But if you are talking about your CFY job which is after graduation, that has little to do with your university. Just apply for openings or contact places you are interested in to see if they are hiring. My university has sent us a handful of local job openings but beyond that it's between us and the employer. 

3 hours ago, SopranoSLP said:

Out of curiosity, is it possible/ common to complete your clinical fellowship somewhere other than where you completed your masters? For example, could I go to the University of Colorado - Boulder for my masters and then complete my fellowship at, say, UCSF's Voice and Swallowing Center? (Those are randomly chosen examples.) Or do people typically rely on their university having connections to practitioners and clinics/ schools/ hospitals close to them? Thanks!

CU Boulder does allow you to do your final clinical externship anywhere in the country. As others have said, it depends on the school. 

Pretty sure you can go anywhere for your CFY. For example if you look up job openings on sites like indeed.com you can see places looking for an SLP, but are also willing to hire someone going into their CFY.

46 minutes ago, jpiccolo said:

Are you referring to your externships? It really depends on contracts your school has and whether they could make a new one, especially at another university. But if you are talking about your CFY job which is after graduation, that has little to do with your university. Just apply for openings or contact places you are interested in to see if they are hiring. My university has sent us a handful of local job openings but beyond that it's between us and the employer. 

Ah ha! Good to know. Just trying to plan 10 steps ahead, as usual. :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, plume said:

CU Boulder does allow you to do your final clinical externship anywhere in the country. As others have said, it depends on the school. 

Hahaha I picked that school out of thin air, but that's good to know! I'll have to evaluate that with each school.

11 minutes ago, Murr57 said:

Pretty sure you can go anywhere for your CFY. For example if you look up job openings on sites like indeed.com you can see places looking for an SLP, but are also willing to hire someone going into their CFY.

Awesome! I'm MANY steps away from that point, but I like to know what's coming down the pipeline!