Northwestern Sociology 2010

luar de ouro

From the looks of the Results page, it won't be too long before we start hearing from Northwestern. I know a few people applied there, and it's one of my top choices. There's not much to say at the moment, but please share any relevant information!

I really want this month to be over with :mellow:

ok for all those anxiously waiting for Northwestern to start contacting, the word from the dept today was that they are currently reviewing files and won't be giving out decisions until the end of the month. Maybe they are just saying that so we won't all be expecting to hear this friday (which, based on past years results, I certainly was), but just thought I would relay that to you all.

I was really hoping I could hear SOMETHING this Friday. I was expecting to either be celebrating or feeling sorry for myself this weekend, considering last year they sent out a bunch of acceptances and rejections on the same day (second Friday of Feb.). Boy, it looks like my schools are all going to be notifying late this year. Booo, this is hard to wait, esp. because it's my second time around. It's like I have been waiting for a year and a half!

ok for all those anxiously waiting for Northwestern to start contacting, the word from the dept today was that they are currently reviewing files and won't be giving out decisions until the end of the month. Maybe they are just saying that so we won't all be expecting to hear this friday (which, based on past years results, I certainly was), but just thought I would relay that to you all.

I was really hoping I could hear SOMETHING this Friday. I was expecting to either be celebrating or feeling sorry for myself this weekend, considering last year they sent out a bunch of acceptances and rejections on the same day (second Friday of Feb.). Boy, it looks like my schools are all going to be notifying late this year. Booo, this is hard to wait, esp. because it's my second time around. It's like I have been waiting for a year and a half!

Thanks for the update! Any information concerning when we'll get out of the shit-creek of waiting is a relief.

Where did you hear about this, and is there a way to milk your source for more info? ;)

Thanks for the update! Any information concerning when we'll get out of the shit-creek of waiting is a relief.

Where did you hear about this, and is there a way to milk your source for more info? ;)

My boyfriend called the grad secretary for me. I haven't had a chance when at work, so he's doing the dirty work for me lol

I was just looking at last year's Northwestern sociology thread, and noticed that people were getting email notifications about acceptances on the second Thursday and Friday of February. Interestingly enough, I also noticed that further on in the month people who had not yet heard, were contacting the department and were still receiving the response that the committee was presently reviewing files and would be notifying by the end of the month.

So, perhaps, contrary to my earlier post, some people may hear something by the end of the week. It could just be that anyone who contacts the dept. asking about when people will be notified, will get the standard 'party line' (or I guess you could call it 'department line') that decisions will come out at the end of the month.

I guess we'll find out soon enough!

edit: here's the link to the thread I was talking about (if any of you want to join me in being neurotic)

Edited by Maya

I DO want to join you in being neurotic! You're such a sweetheart :)

Oh I should probably warn you though, it's a pretty long thread! But at least it helps kill some time, right? Another thing I just noticed, although maybe I'm the only person who didn't notice this already, but Northwestern actually posted who is on the admissions committee. (http://www.sociology.northwestern.edu/contact/index.html) I found that so surprising, usually it seems to be kept a total secret by most schools!

Boy, I'm definitely with you on the not-being-able-to-wait-until-this-month-is-over-sentiment.

Oh I should probably warn you though, it's a pretty long thread! But at least it helps kill some time, right? Another thing I just noticed, although maybe I'm the only person who didn't notice this already, but Northwestern actually posted who is on the admissions committee. (http://www.sociology.northwestern.edu/contact/index.html) I found that so surprising, usually it seems to be kept a total secret by most schools!

Boy, I'm definitely with you on the not-being-able-to-wait-until-this-month-is-over-sentiment.

Thank you for posting the link to the thread and the admissions committee! A good time filler indeed. Ahh this waiting is going to make me go crazy.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything out of Northwestern? I heard that I made the shortlist (~40 people), but that they have less funding and are only able to make 8-12 offers. The silence is tough particularly because this is the only school I applied to!

How did you hear that you were on the short list?

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything out of Northwestern? I heard that I made the shortlist (~40 people), but that they have less funding and are only able to make 8-12 offers. The silence is tough particularly because this is the only school I applied to!

This is grim news indeed :( I heard nothing, and fear for the worst X_x

Here's what I dug up from the admission status page.

Once an admission decision has been rendered on your application, a "View Decision" link will appear below. If no "View Decision" link is listed on this page, an admission decision has not yet been rendered on your application. (Students denied admission will not receive a letter from the university. Students who are admitted will receive an admissions packet.)

If any of you are waiting for them to email...well now we know they don't email your decision.

Here's what I dug up from the admission status page.

Once an admission decision has been rendered on your application, a "View Decision" link will appear below. If no "View Decision" link is listed on this page, an admission decision has not yet been rendered on your application. (Students denied admission will not receive a letter from the university. Students who are admitted will receive an admissions packet.)

If any of you are waiting for them to email...well now we know they don't email your decision.

hmm but according to last year's results, people who were admitted (at least some of them) heard about their admission via email or phone first, before the website had even updated. I think for rejections though, yes, we will find out only via the website. ( I say 'we' but of course I'm hoping that doesn't include us!)

I heard informally (really can't say more), so don't take that as a sign that you're no longer in contention. I don't think they've formally notified anyone of decisions yet, or perhaps even made final ones. I was just fishing to see if anyone had heard formally.

Gotcha! This waiting thing is starting to mess with my head!

Can you clarify whether it's 8-12 people they are admitting, or if it's that they want an entering cohort of 8-12?

Can you clarify whether it's 8-12 people they are admitting, or if it's that they want an entering cohort of 8-12?

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that question. My impression was that the cohort was going to be significantly smaller, but disregard the numbers I mentioned earlier as I'm not sure cohort v. admits. I think their website says that they typically admit 25 for a cohort of 13.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that question. My impression was that the cohort was going to be significantly smaller, but disregard the numbers I mentioned earlier as I'm not sure cohort v. admits. I think their website says that they typically admit 25 for a cohort of 13.

Well I guess we will all find out sooner or later. I'm hoping for sooner and for it to be positive for all of us. Then we can all laugh about the days we spent freaking out about nothing.

In via the website. There was no phone call or email and the only reason I checked was that some decisions had come in on the results page. Not sure how Northwestern does decisions, so unable to whether this is the first "round" or not.

Congrats everyone in!