psych interview weekends---what to wear, etc.

geichat

hello fellow psychologists!

like i said i know there are topics like this elsewhere about what to wear to interviews etc. but from what i've seen, the norms tend to differ depending what fields your talking about. so i thought it'd be nice to have one specifically for psychology program interviews:)

i have an upcoming interview weekend, and am kinda at a loss as to what i should wear to the different activities scheduled for the weekend. i've been given very different advice by some friends (none of whom are in psychology) so i thought i'd check with people in thie field. i roughly know what i'll be wearing to the actual *interviews* with faculty members, but cant figure out what to wear to the other activities, e.g. dinner with grad students, party at faculty's home, campus and facilities tours, etc. i normally dress pretty casually and usually tend to dress down rather than dress up when im not so sure about the dress codes.

i know i might be overthinking about this but personally, being dressed appropriately is very important to me mostly because it helps me feel more comfortable AND confident, which is certainly how i would like to be at interviews. plus, thinking about what to wear kinda takes the pressure away from thinking too much about what to say:)

so, what do you think?

I completely understand--you can relax a lot easier in a nerve-inducing situation when you are dressed "right" :)

For everything but the actual interview day, I would wear what you would wear to a nice dinner out with friends. It's casual in that it's not business, but not casual as in t-shirts and shorts. I have worn in the past and plan to wear dark jeans, a nice blouse, and heels to faculty parties, grad student dinners, etc. You want to be comfortable but not sloppy or like you just rolled out of bed. It's going to be different for everyone, but hopefully that helps!

I completely understand--you can relax a lot easier in a nerve-inducing situation when you are dressed "right" :)

For everything but the actual interview day, I would wear what you would wear to a nice dinner out with friends. It's casual in that it's not business, but not casual as in t-shirts and shorts. I have worn in the past and plan to wear dark jeans, a nice blouse, and heels to faculty parties, grad student dinners, etc. You want to be comfortable but not sloppy or like you just rolled out of bed. It's going to be different for everyone, but hopefully that helps!

thanks for the advice LaurenA:D

normally i try to stay away from heels when theres a lot of walking (or any walking really...) involved. i think thats been my biggest problem when i try to look for formal than how im usually dressed :)

I completely understand--you can relax a lot easier in a nerve-inducing situation when you are dressed "right" smile.gif

I have not gone on any interviews yet, though I have three coming up, so I completely understand your worries. What LaurenA said is exactly what my research advisor told me to do. So I would take her advice smile.gif

I have not gone on any interviews yet, though I have three coming up, so I completely understand your worries. What LaurenA said is exactly what my research advisor told me to do. So I would take her advice smile.gif

thanks! so what exactly r u all planning to wear to the actual interviews?

thanks! so what exactly r u all planning to wear to the actual interviews?

For the actual interviews I have a couple of suits that I use for conference presentations, so I figured I would pull those out. And then if the suit is too much, I can just take off the jacket and have a nice shirt with dress pants/skirt. But I am in a bit of a bind because I will, literally, be going from school to school for a week straight so I have to strategically pack enough clothes in a small carry on and hope they don't wrinkle. dry.gif

What are you planning on wearing for the actual interviews?

For the actual interviews I have a couple of suits that I use for conference presentations, so I figured I would pull those out. And then if the suit is too much, I can just take off the jacket and have a nice shirt with dress pants/skirt. But I am in a bit of a bind because I will, literally, be going from school to school for a week straight so I have to strategically pack enough clothes in a small carry on and hope they don't wrinkle. dry.gif

What are you planning on wearing for the actual interviews?

well like i said, i usually tend to dress down rather than dress up i literally dont even own a suit...what i normally do is i wear black dress pants with a cardigan. i personally love cardigans and have them in various colors :P and i feel completely comfortable in them. but i've told (many many times) that i dont look formal/professional at all in them...thats why im debating whether to go with a suit

If you go down the list of topics on our psych forum, you will see one as "interview". On this topic someone (eucalyptus) posted VERY helpful blog on what she wore to all of the different events at an interview weekend.

I am sure that would be helpful for you!

well like i said, i usually tend to dress down rather than dress up i literally dont even own a suit...what i normally do is i wear black dress pants with a cardigan. i personally love cardigans and have them in various colors :P and i feel completely comfortable in them. but i've told (many many times) that i dont look formal/professional at all in them...thats why im debating whether to go with a suit

I've been told to DEF. have a suit, but one you're comfy in (as possible). This way, if you're overdressed, you take off the jacket and you're done. Maybe you could even just get a jacket that looks like it's part of a suit and wear pants you'd wear with a cardigan?

And about the heels, I think a pair of flats would be totally fine...I'm really short and when it comes to intellectual gatherings, I'm very aware that my "superiors" are taller than me. Not a huge deal, but it's something I notice and become a little self-conscious of, so heels level things out. But flats are great too!

But I am in a bit of a bind because I will, literally, be going from school to school for a week straight so I have to strategically pack enough clothes in a small carry on and hope they don't wrinkle. dry.gif

Me too! I have one suit that I love that I'm wearing to a California interview with a pinstriped skirt, then wearing with pants on three interviews on the East coast...I have a few button up shirts in the same style but different colors that I love, so I'm packing all of those so it's pretty interchangeable.

OH--for the actual interview day, wear either flats or comfy low heels--one interview I had a few years ago took us on a campus tour and all the ladies were hobbling around on brick sidewalks, right before the POI interviews....not fun!

Edited by LaurenA

Me too! I have one suit that I love that I'm wearing to a California interview with a pinstriped skirt, then wearing with pants on three interviews on the East coast...I have a few button up shirts in the same style but different colors that I love, so I'm packing all of those so it's pretty interchangeable.

OH--for the actual interview day, wear either flats or comfy low heels--one interview I had a few years ago took us on a tour and all the ladies were hobbling around on brick sidewalks, right before the POI interviews....not fun!

Yeah I have one pants suit that I jokingly refer to as my "power suit" which I will wear in NYC, then I have a skirt suit that is my favorite, and then I have a pair of pants I can put with the skirt jacket as well. I also have quite a few nice shirts that I can wear with any of my suits.

I had not even thought about bringing flats...now I might have to go and look for some. I am pretty short so I either have to wear heels or hem my pants everytime I buy them, so my selection of flatss = 0 haha.

OK, I'm in Missouri for an interview weekend right now, literally, so here's what I saw. Business casual is definitely the way to go. If you're a guy, a shirt and dark jeans/slacks; if you're a girl, nice top and slacks/skirt. You'll probably walk a lot, and I don't think anyone really care about your footwear, so wear something comfortable. In fact, one of the girls here wore really nice heels, and had a miserable time walking around because it's been raining/snowing all day and there's slush everywhere (on that note, bring an umbrella). Everyone here is really friendly and laid-back, both grad students and profs, and I feel quite at ease here. I don't think you should sweat the clothing part. Good luck!

I've been told to DEF. have a suit, but one you're comfy in (as possible). This way, if you're overdressed, you take off the jacket and you're done. Maybe you could even just get a jacket that looks like it's part of a suit and wear pants you'd wear with a cardigan?

And about the heels, I think a pair of flats would be totally fine...I'm really short and when it comes to intellectual gatherings, I'm very aware that my "superiors" are taller than me. Not a huge deal, but it's something I notice and become a little self-conscious of, so heels level things out. But flats are great too!

thats so helpful LaurenA thanks! i'll def look for a suit then. i've been thinking about getting a suit for a while since i'll need one sooner or later so now its time to finally invest in one :) and im pretty sure flats are what im gonna go with since i walk weird in heels lol

OK, I'm in Missouri for an interview weekend right now, literally, so here's what I saw. Business casual is definitely the way to go. If you're a guy, a shirt and dark jeans/slacks; if you're a girl, nice top and slacks/skirt. You'll probably walk a lot, and I don't think anyone really care about your footwear, so wear something comfortable. In fact, one of the girls here wore really nice heels, and had a miserable time walking around because it's been raining/snowing all day and there's slush everywhere (on that note, bring an umbrella). Everyone here is really friendly and laid-back, both grad students and profs, and I feel quite at ease here. I don't think you should sweat the clothing part. Good luck!

thats good to know! thanks! and good luck with the rest of your interview!!

To add some more data points to what was worn at the actual interviews, at my first visit lots of people were in suits (probably because an email from a grad student told us to dress "business"), but at my next visit it was really a mixed bag. I was in dress pants, a collared shirt, a black V-neck sweater, and boots. There were a couple people in full-on casual wear (jeans, leggings, etc), a couple in business-casual stuff, and one in a suit. I think the latter girl felt overdressed but everyone else seemed okay (although I'm glad I went a step up from jeans).

I think a very safe rule (and what I'm planning to do for my other interviews) is business casual for actual interviews and whatever else happens that day, and jeans-with-slightly-nice-shirt for all other activities.

thats good to know thanks! and it was exactly what im most worried about-being the only (or one of the few) overdressed interviewees and feel totally out of place and uncomfortable. and i've also been struggling with whether i can wear boots since im interviewing in the cold northeast..

I'm going to an interview day in Boston in about two weeks and went out and bought a whole new outfit. (I bought a business-y dress, cardigan, belt, tights, ankle boots with a heel, jewelry, the works!) Even if I do end up being a little more overdressed, to me it's better than the alternative. The only thing I'm shaky about is the boots... I'm going to keep an eye out for some appropriate flats.

I'm going to an interview day in Boston in about two weeks and went out and bought a whole new outfit. (I bought a business-y dress, cardigan, belt, tights, ankle boots with a heel, jewelry, the works!) Even if I do end up being a little more overdressed, to me it's better than the alternative. The only thing I'm shaky about is the boots... I'm going to keep an eye out for some appropriate flats.

i went shopping last weekend and got my interview outfit too, since i didnt have a suit and thought i'd need one sooner or later. i have appropriate flats to wear since i never wear heels, but im worried considering where im going for interviews its probably too cold to wear flats. i think i may still have to wear boots even though they look sort of weird with the suit. oh well.

i went shopping last weekend and got my interview outfit too, since i didnt have a suit and thought i'd need one sooner or later. i have appropriate flats to wear since i never wear heels, but im worried considering where im going for interviews its probably too cold to wear flats. i think i may still have to wear boots even though they look sort of weird with the suit. oh well.

That would be interesting to see! These are the boots I bought: http://www.zappos.co...r-black-leather They're higher than I would normally wear, but they're comfortable (enough) and I feel great in them.

That would be interesting to see! These are the boots I bought: http://www.zappos.co...r-black-leather They're higher than I would normally wear, but they're comfortable (enough) and I feel great in them.

I just want to say that I am jealous of those boots, they are awesome.cool.gif

My interview takes place over the course of 3 hours on one day. I don't have to plan for a number of different events. Since that is the case, would it be advised that I definitely wear a suit versus "business casual"...a pair of nice black pants and a sweater or button-down shirt?

Any ideas?

I want to make sure I am comfortable (which I am not really in a suit), however, I definitely do not want it to seem as though I don't care about my appearance or making a good impression.

My interview takes place over the course of 3 hours on one day. I don't have to plan for a number of different events. Since that is the case, would it be advised that I definitely wear a suit versus "business casual"...a pair of nice black pants and a sweater or button-down shirt?

Any ideas?

I want to make sure I am comfortable (which I am not really in a suit), however, I definitely do not want it to seem as though I don't care about my appearance or making a good impression.

Nobody will be offended if you're not in a suit. I've been to three interviews and at none of them did I feel out of place in business casual rather than a suit (whereas there was at least one interview at which a suit was uncomfortably overdressed). That being said, it's really up to you. You won't make a bad impression either way, so it's really up to your own comfort and preference.

As I prepare for interviews I have become obsessed with these online forums because they are fun. Anyway, I don't know if there has been a guys input on the issue of what to wear yet. As my user name suggests this is my third year at trying to get in (will be last either way). I have been to many interviews before and I am always really interested in the people's dress. I've noticed that on the night before graduate student meet and greet that most applicants are dressed up like a nice dinner. Like one girl said dark jeans and a nice shirt would probably be acceptable. I love cardigans and my wife wears them all the time so I have a bias towards those I'm sure you could wear one at the meet and greet. I've noticed normally the grad students are dressed down more than the applicants. I don't think I've been to an interview when the women aren't wearing a skirt or pant suit. Most of the interviews do involve a lot of walking around the campus and to and from faculty rooms so definitely comfortable shoes are a must. All right that's my two cents. good luck everyone.

Nobody will be offended if you're not in a suit. I've been to three interviews and at none of them did I feel out of place in business casual rather than a suit (whereas there was at least one interview at which a suit was uncomfortably overdressed). That being said, it's really up to you. You won't make a bad impression either way, so it's really up to your own comfort and preference.

Thank you for the advice! :)