Asking to extend offer deadline til April 15th

Hi, I just received a funded offer for graduate school but the deadline is the 10th, this Canadian school doesn't follow the CGS rules I guess. I have competing US offers on the 15th but I still haven't visited this Canadian school and one of my US schools yet. I would very much prefer to push this deadline to the 15th, so I have time to visit both schools and make a good decision. What is the best way for me to ask for an extension? By phone or email? Who is the best contact for this, the graduate program director or the administrative assistant?

Edited by coolgod

As you point out, no, Canadian schools are not part of the CGS resolution because the CGS is an American entity.

The best way to ask is by email because you want a written response to prove that you have an extension. If you prefer to ask by phone, do so by phone but then at the end of the call, ask for an email to confirm the extension. (Or, email them to ask for confirmation of your phone call). You should ask the person that made the offer to you / the person who you are supposed to give your decision to. Even if they are not the one that is able to grant the extension, they will forward it to the right person.

That said, when are your visits to this Canadian school and the last US school? You should not ask for additional time beyond 1-2 days after your visit. That is, there is no need to ask for an extension to the 15th if you are visiting the schools this week. At this late stage in the game, you should have everything already ranked and you just need to visit these last 2 programs to slot them in. On that note, if you have more than one acceptance right now, it would be the right time to decline all but your top choice---unless you have a complex situation where you don't know your first choice as it depends on other factors (e.g. you are applying with a significant other).