Interviews for out of field applicants?

My last school I'm waiting to hear from (CSU East Bay) requested an interview as part of the application process. It's one of my top choices so I accepted the interview but am really uncertain what to expect. I am an out of field applicant so don't have a lot of direct academic experiences and am not sure what types of questions they will ask.

Any insight into what types of questions are typically /generically asked for interviews and anything specific to out of field applicants would be super helpful.

Thank you!!

Edited by lacuna

I only had one interview. They are all very different so it is difficult to provide a lot of useful feedback, but I was not asked anything pertaining to the field or specific CSD-related academics. They knew I did not have a background in the field and wanted to get to know me personally and see if I was a good fit. Good luck!

Both interviews for different programs that I've attended so far were very generalized questions that weren't necessarily related to the field. A lot of problem solving type questions, self-reflection (how do you handle stress? Name a person that inspired you and why? three adjectives to describe yourself and why.). I have a lot of work experience out of field and was able to draw on personal experiences, even though I don't have much SLP experience. 

I have no idea if they do different questions for out of find applicants but that's a super good question, I would think not though. All my interviews, except one, did general questions such as why SLP, why this program and that sort of thing. Unless the school is known for clinical based questions, I would just go in there and be yourself :) I know it;s cliche but they already like you academically, they just want to see if your personality matches. 

I'm an out-of-field applicant and went on one interview at NYMC. There were a lot of general questions like "why SLP?" but there were also some situational questions which surprised me since they are known for liking out-of-fielders and not requiring pre-reqs. I did my best to answer based on what I know about the field (not a ton) and based on my personal and workplace experience. As someone mentioned above, I think they are more looking to see how you analyze a situation and problem solve. They don't expect anyone (especially someone out-of-field) to have the perfect answer for every clinical situation at this point in our careers. I would give you the usual advice of "be yourself!" and also say to think about any situational questions logically instead of stressing about not having the perfect SLP answer.

Good luck! :)