Inquiry about Personal Statement

Hello All,

I hope everyone has been getting the results they want in regards to getting accepted into the school they desire. As for me, I'm still hoping. I'm on the waiting list (Western Carolina) and then I need to submit my application for South Carolina State Uni. I'm looking for other options in case I don't get into grad school...for the 2nd time. 

I wanted to get ya'lls opinion on something. I want to include in my personal essay the reason why I am pursuing this career is because I know how it feels to be insecure about not speaking correctly or not being able to get one's thoughts out. It's frustrating and I'm in that shoes. I'd like to help those who are going through that. However, I haven't been to a Speech Therapist and been diagnosed, I just know it because I'm going through it. How can I relay that in my paper. I know I had someone tell me they don't recommend putting something like that in a paper if it's not diagnosed professionally. What's all of your recommendations? 

Thank you in advance,

:)

2 hours ago, lee09 said:

Hello All,

I hope everyone has been getting the results they want in regards to getting accepted into the school they desire. As for me, I'm still hoping. I'm on the waiting list (Western Carolina) and then I need to submit my application for South Carolina State Uni. I'm looking for other options in case I don't get into grad school...for the 2nd time. 

I wanted to get ya'lls opinion on something. I want to include in my personal essay the reason why I am pursuing this career is because I know how it feels to be insecure about not speaking correctly or not being able to get one's thoughts out. It's frustrating and I'm in that shoes. I'd like to help those who are going through that. However, I haven't been to a Speech Therapist and been diagnosed, I just know it because I'm going through it. How can I relay that in my paper. I know I had someone tell me they don't recommend putting something like that in a paper if it's not diagnosed professionally. What's all of your recommendations? 

Thank you in advance,

:)

If it wasn't diagnosed professionally, then don't mention it.  

How are you going through this exactly?

The start of my SOP was about how I had anxiety speaking when I was younger and mumbled/slurred. I shared how this sparked my interest in speech pathology. My paper was not focused on my issues surrounding speech, but introduced a personal tie and connection that lead to academic pursuit, research in the field, etc. I think it was well received and I had many advisors read over it. So I would not say don't do it, but rather, don't make it the focal point or a qualification of yours. But if it is a current issue, I wouldn't really mention it because that might actually hurt your application. 

Edited by lacuna