Finding programs that will accept non-engineers

dmacfour

Hello,

After reading about LEAP a couple years ago, I decided to make preparations to switch careers to engineering. My MS and BS are in psychology, so I enrolled at a local school to beef up my calculus, physics, and engineering skills. As far as I can tell, all of the schools that advertise that they admit non-engineers have the same pre-reqs, so I have a good idea what I'll need to take to get in... somewhere. I don't want be restricted to applying to the handful of schools though. I suppose I could email every department I can think of, but I'd rather ask here first. 

Are there any resources for people in my position? A list of schools that take non-engineers with the right prereqs? Have any of you done what I'm doing? 

Thanks!

I don't think a psychology is an appropriate degree to segway into a master's degree in engineering.  You could make the argument for physics, chemistry, computer science at times but psychology is a huge stretch.  I don't see any university admitting someone into a research or course based engineering at the graduate level.  You are way too far behind tbh.  You'd be better off doing an bachelor's in engineering.

As formerfactory said, psychology would be a big leap.  What field of engineering are you trying to get into?  One path I could see that would work would be to get a masters in biology and then a doctorate in biomedical engineering.  I've seen some graduate programs in BME admit biology majors with the right prereqs, on the condition that they take extra courses.  

Mechanical or Civil Engineering, but I'm leaning towards mechanical. Obviously it's a big leap, but that's why programs like... LEAP exist. I've also found a few programs that publish guidelines like this:

http://www.cmu.edu/cee/prospective/graduate-degree/masters/ms-program-details/ms-graduate-students-without-engineering-degree.html

I get what you're saying about being behind, but I've already committed to getting caught up. I'll have MATLAB, statics, dynamics, thermo, fluids, materials, and all of the physics and calc prereqs done by the time I apply. 

Worst case scenario, I spend an extra year or two finishing the undergrad degree before applying.

Edited by dmacfour

24 minutes ago, Neurotic_Jay said:

Are you interested in an engineering MS or PhD?

MS, although I want to get a PhD in the future.

Edited by dmacfour

4 minutes ago, dmacfour said:

MS.

Then I think you just have to finish all the pre reqs and then you'll be fine. Top programs may not take you (e.g. Stanford), but I'm sure you'll get into decent programs if you ace those mechE classes.

It seems kinda of interesting that you want to get an advanced degree in an area you really haven't done anything in, do you collect degrees?  I don't know how to say that any nicer, but it seems like you want to avoid doing the actual engineering education and focus on the research in an area again you really have no knowledge of...I think it's rather perverse that you are trying to get into grad school for engineering.

22 hours ago, formerfactory said:

It seems kinda of interesting that you want to get an advanced degree in an area you really haven't done anything in, do you collect degrees?  I don't know how to say that any nicer, but it seems like you want to avoid doing the actual engineering education and focus on the research in an area again you really have no knowledge of...I think it's rather perverse that you are trying to get into grad school for engineering.

You seem to have a stick up your rear about my plans, for whatever reason.  If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't bother responding.

Do you think I'm just planning on applying with no background whatsoever? I'm following guidelines published by graduate schools willing to accept non-engineers. Why would I take statics, dynamics, thermo, fluids, materials, and a dozen other courses if I was trying to avoid the "actual engineering education"? Believe me, if I could start over and get a bachelors in mechanical engineering before doing this I would. But that's the reality of my situation, and it doesn't make sense to complete a second bachelors if it's not actually necessary. At least as far as my goals are concerned.

Edited by dmacfour

OK I see you changed your answer to my question... Anyhoo. One motto I live with is nothing is impossible. I have changed my major three times (all in engineering discipline though) until now I am perfectly happy with my future PhD study in mechanical engineering. And I didn't lose time changing majors. In your case I would try to get a thesis master instead of a course-based one.

@dmacfour I knew a woman in the Mechanical Engineering department who actually used to be a high-school english teacher and decided to switch. She got her MS and was one of the best students in the class, but I don't know more information about her background so I'm not sure what kind of pre-requisites she was required to complete. It was at UT Arlington.

6 hours ago, luisalasnjr said:

@dmacfour I knew a woman in the Mechanical Engineering department who actually used to be a high-school english teacher and decided to switch. She got her MS and was one of the best students in the class, but I don't know more information about her background so I'm not sure what kind of pre-requisites she was required to complete. It was at UT Arlington.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

I think BME would be your best bet if you intend to use some of the knowledge from your psychology degrees in the engineering field. But you still need the quantitative background which can be achieved by taking some freshman/sophomore level engineering courses (Math, Physics, Chem, etc.)

Boston University has a good LEAP program - check them out. I spoke with a few students that went through LEAP successfully and are now PhD route in Mechanical.

If possible try and gain either research or industry experience in engineering prior to applying. Mid to top ranked programs will want more than just coursework and good grades/GRE. Also, remember to apply to several safety schools, a few mid-tier, and a few 'reach' schools. As a guideline, mid to top ranked Mechanical programs will want 3.5+ GPA (preferably 3.7+), and 80th+ percentile (preferably 90th+) on the GRE quant, minimum. It would also be helpful to find what research areas within engineering are of interest, and maybe spin your personal statement and relate it to your psychology background.

In my experience, I think BME is a bit more competitive than Mechanical for PhD. Overall it looks like BME programs have more applicants (coming from areas in biology, chemistry, engineering, etc.), thus schools simply filter "possible admit" by GRE, GPA, publications, etc. Moreover, engineering programs are quite interdisciplinary in nature, so you would likely be able to take coursework both in Mechanical and Biomedical/Bioengineering, if it fits your research interests.

Edited by double espresso

I'm a LEAP student who will be starting at BU in the Fall. If you can afford the tuition, you may want to look there.

Regular programs are an option but bear in mind that you will be going up against existing engineering/science majors. A lot of these schools actually don't require a Bachelors in engineering, but definitely a science/math one. So taking the STEM prereqs is a good start but you may want to go the extra mile - take more classes than you need or maybe enroll in a certificate program where you can get good recommendations. 

On 4/12/2017 at 6:38 PM, Wackstrom said:

I'm a LEAP student who will be starting at BU in the Fall. If you can afford the tuition, you may want to look there.

Regular programs are an option but bear in mind that you will be going up against existing engineering/science majors. A lot of these schools actually don't require a Bachelors in engineering, but definitely a science/math one. So taking the STEM prereqs is a good start but you may want to go the extra mile - take more classes than you need or maybe enroll in a certificate program where you can get good recommendations. 

The LEAP website mentions tuition waivers (or maybe it was scholarships), but I'm under the impression that they're uncommon. 

Have you heard anything?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 3:07 PM, dmacfour said:

The LEAP website mentions tuition waivers (or maybe it was scholarships), but I'm under the impression that they're uncommon. 

Have you heard anything?

Sorry, I don't venture here much anymore!

Yes, there are two phases in LEAP: Phase 1, where you basically catch up on the undergrad engineering courses, and Phase 2, which is the actual master's level coursework. Merit-based scholarships are given for each phase separately, I think up to half-tuition. I was fortunate enough to receive a half-tuition scholarship for Phase 1, so instead of paying some 49K the first year, I'll only have to pay around 24K.