Hey all. So I live in NY and I'm starting to look for flexible semi-steady part time jobs that I can possibly carry with me throughout grad school (hopefully if I'm accepted). I already babysit some weekends for about $14/hr for about 4 hrs (this is in addition to my full-time job). I'm wondering if being a waitress is a good option but I'm not sure what waitress hours are typically like or how much they get or how much tips are normal (in sure it varies widely). Does anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions for part time jobs I could look for? 

A friend of mine is now doing online ESL tutoring of Chinese kids through VIPKID. It's $18/hr as an independent contractor (so you'd need to file self-employment taxes). Higher if you teach 30 classes (15 hours) in a month, and even higher if you teach 45 (22.5 hours). The hours are early morning (4-7 a.m. Pacific so adjust for your time zone) and flexible.

No personal experience with them (yet) but I'm considering signing up after I finish this semester.

14 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Hey all. So I live in NY and I'm starting to look for flexible semi-steady part time jobs that I can possibly carry with me throughout grad school (hopefully if I'm accepted). I already babysit some weekends for about $14/hr for about 4 hrs (this is in addition to my full-time job). I'm wondering if being a waitress is a good option but I'm not sure what waitress hours are typically like or how much they get or how much tips are normal (in sure it varies widely). Does anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions for part time jobs I could look for? 

I served and still do full-time all throughout college - I have always taken 18-20 credit hours and right now I have a research assistantship too!

I work at a sushi restaurant so the hours are great - it's only open until 9 on weekdays, 8 on Sundays, and 10 on weekends. 

I never make under 20.00 an hour and usually about 30.00 an hour (after tips) on weekends so the money is great.

However when I start Graduate school I'm going to wait to see if I can still handle serving on the weekends still but I will say as long as you do everything in advance as far as school - it's doable and great money.

I also will say - I'm not sure what you do right now but Serving can be really stressful at time and definitely requires a unique skill set - it's tough on your body and you'll need high patience, multitasking skills, and ability to always smile :) 

Also if you don't have any experience you will probably have to start out hosting or bussing tables.

Good luck!

Edited by Akon

During my undergrad I worked with this company, Kaleidoscope Family Solutions, that provides services for adults with Autism. I basically helped my clients with their chores, took them grocery shopping, went out to dinner, got them out in the community for social events and things like that. It was a rewarding and easy way to earn some spending money! Basically you get paid to hang out with these awesome people! Personally, I found it way less stressful than waitressing. I live in PA so I'm not sure if there is anything like that in NY but it may be worth a look. Hope this helps!