Funding Package

My offer is around $16,000 for Indiana, but I'd recommend looking at housing and living costs before jumping to conclusions. Living in the middle of the United States is significantly cheaper than living in Silicon Valley, and God forbid, New York. Most of the times funding offers are adjusted accordingly such that students can still live comfortably. At my old school, 50% TA's and RA's generally got around $2000 a month for their work, which may seem a lot to outsiders, but living costs can be quite high in California (I was spending about $950 a month on rent alone...and that's not even a bad price for a studio). Right now, I'm getting the equivalent of about $850 a month teaching English in a foreign country, but I spend less than $400 a month on rent, breakfast is included in my rent, and my school serves decent quality and very filling lunches for less than $3.

Edited by ThousandsHardships

It does seem a bit low. However, I got my undergrad degree in sociology at UT and am still living in Knoxville so feel free to pm me. I can try my best to answer any questions. Cost of living here is really quite low. I'm currently working with AmeriCorps so I'm making a fairly low living stipend (roughly $11,000 for the year) and I've been managing just fine. There are some fairly inexpensive housing options around. 

On 4/8/2017 at 8:23 AM, rising_star said:

Are you sure the stipend is for 12 months and not 9? Have you asked about whether there are opportunities to teach or do research in the summer for additional money?

I inquired GD and he said that the work is for 9 months but the payment is spread out for 12 months. And there are some opportunities for teaching during the summer but that's not guaranteed.  

On 4/7/2017 at 8:46 AM, a little-stitious said:

It does seem a bit low. However, I got my undergrad degree in sociology at UT and am still living in Knoxville so feel free to pm me. I can try my best to answer any questions. Cost of living here is really quite low. I'm currently working with AmeriCorps so I'm making a fairly low living stipend (roughly $11,000 for the year) and I've been managing just fine. There are some fairly inexpensive housing options around. 

On 4/7/2017 at 4:14 AM, ? ??♂️?? said:

It is low, compared to what other universities offer.

Look at this link:

http://www.phdstipends.com/results

I think most universities offer around 16-17K a year

Thanks for the link. it's wonderful.

On 4/7/2017 at 2:14 AM, ? ??♂️?? said:

It is low, compared to what other universities offer.

Look at this link:

http://www.phdstipends.com/results

I think most universities offer around 16-17K a year

I've always wondered about this site, and there are some funny numbers on there (I think one PhD student said they made $40,000 a year at Boulder?!). Does anyone have any thoughts on the accuracy of the info on there? Seems like it has potential and I wish it was updated more often!