Question about the CGS April 15 Resolution

xinlu

I have a question about the CGS April 15 Resolution and I am looking for advice.

Both school A and school B are members of CGS. I am just wondering if it is legitimate to accept school A’s offer and defer school B’s offer?

The reason is that I am not very certain if school A is a right fit but want to give it a try for one year.

School B has a defer option (but says you need to get a departmental approval for the deferral and the deferral will be considered again together with later year's applicants).

Thank you in advance!

Edited by xinlu

1 hour ago, xinlu said:

I have a question about the CGS April 15 Resolution and I am looking for advice.

Both school A and school B are members of CGS. I am just wondering if it is legitimate to accept school A’s offer and defer school B’s offer?

The reason is that I am not very certain if school A is a right fit but want to give it a try for one year.

School B has a defer option (but says you need to get a departmental approval for the deferral and the deferral will be considered again together with later year's applicants).

Thank you in advance!

Your bigger problem is that a school is unlikely to grant you a deferral if your reason for seeking one is to attend another school!!!!!

Probably not, but ask the school (School B). Given that you will be considered along with the other Fall 2018 applicants, they might say yes since you have to re-compete and therefore they aren't promising you anything.

Also, one department of my current school actually makes their offers valid for 12 months. You can attend another school (or take a job or travel or do whatever) for 1 year and if you change your mind, they still will have a spot for you next year (*some complications regarding funding apply---everyone will be funded but you might not get an RAship and have to TA instead).

20 hours ago, TakeruK said:

Probably not, but ask the school (School B). Given that you will be considered along with the other Fall 2018 applicants, they might say yes since you have to re-compete and therefore they aren't promising you anything.

Also, one department of my current school actually makes their offers valid for 12 months. You can attend another school (or take a job or travel or do whatever) for 1 year and if you change your mind, they still will have a spot for you next year (*some complications regarding funding apply---everyone will be funded but you might not get an RAship and have to TA instead).

Thank you so much! 

This is a great advice. I'll try to ask.

My another concern is: if school A knows I deferred (instead of declining) school B, is there any adverse effect on my attendance in school A?

Thank you very much!

Edited by xinlu

5 hours ago, xinlu said:

My another concern is: if school A knows I deferred (instead of declining) school B, is there any adverse effect on my attendance in school A?

Thank you very much!

It will depend on the situation, but generally, yes, if School A thinks you are planning to leave after a year, then that could affect how they treat you. However, you are not planning to leave after 1 year right? I think your actions are legitimate/ethical as long as you are entering School A with the intention of finishing at School A, and any other plans (school B or otherwise are basically backup plans).