Stanford MSCS vs Berkeley MEng

_DisplayName

I got into Berkeley's MEng program for Data Science and Systems. It comes with a tempting $20,000 fellowship. However, I'm concerned that an MEng isn't as valuable as an MS (is that right?), but Stanford will be much more expensive unless I can get a TA position. 

Is Stanford's program better? Is it $20,000+ better? How likely are MSCS student to get a TA position? Stanford claims their program takes 3-5 years part time, how long is that full-time?

Your last two questions are ones best answered by the Stanford program staff. It may be that you can't attend the program full-time because of the way courses are scheduled but, it's impossible for any of us to know this.

Personally, I'd take the fellowship and the financial savings it brings you.

What is even your goal? A terminal MEng degree and a research oriented degree probably have the same value (+2) in industry if you are just going to be a developer at Google, etc. If your plan is to continue on to a PhD, a more research oriented degree could help you get the research experience (and connections) admissions committees want (what I did to get into my new program). That said you can still do independent research with professors in terminal degrees too, they just don't usually require a thesis. But if your plan is to simply get a job, both will do fine (so take the money).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 10:53 PM, _DisplayName said:

I got into Berkeley's MEng program for Data Science and Systems. It comes with a tempting $20,000 fellowship. However, I'm concerned that an MEng isn't as valuable as an MS (is that right?), but Stanford will be much more expensive unless I can get a TA position. 

Is Stanford's program better? Is it $20,000+ better? How likely are MSCS student to get a TA position? Stanford claims their program takes 3-5 years part time, how long is that full-time?

Full time MS programs at Stanford is 2 years (and maybe 1.5 years if you kill yourself). Expect to get a TA-ship after your first quarter at the earliest to maybe offset SOME tuition.

If I were you, I would do the Berkeley MEng program since it is geared toward industry AND they gave you money. If you go Stanford, you will have to pay at least 50-60k in tuition alone. Sure Stanford has slight edge in terms of prestige, but money talks and Cal will not prevent you from getting just as far.

p.s.

I applied to both twice, and got rejected twice ;)