Texas A&M

Bobb Cobb

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also going to chemistry department for a PhD!!

Do you have someone in mind you would like to work with already?

Also, to anyone in Chem. already at TAMU - I see that we have to take ACS tests as an entrance exam. The website claims you must score over 50% on these - what happens if you don't do this? Do they just make you take that class again with the undergrads and pass it?

I have some professors in mind...specially in the organometallic chem division. The tests they make us take are only to decide whether we are eligible to take grad level courses in those fields and doesnt matter if you fail them. it just means u wont be allowed to take a grad course in that

I have some professors in mind...specially in the organometallic chem division. The tests they make us take are only to decide whether we are eligible to take grad level courses in those fields and doesnt matter if you fail them. it just means u wont be allowed to take a grad course in that

Very nice chandra, who in particular? I was looking at doing Gladysz as he does some really cool nanotech oriented things. Organometallic is definitely something I am looking into as well so we're sure to end up close to each other.

Did you take a visit to campus at all? I am trying to get ahold of someone to arrange a visit but so far noone has responded.

well i would like to explore the catalysis part..so some of my preferrences would be Bluemel, Hall, Ozerov, Darensbourg..but as i have not visited yet and have been strongly advised against emailing profs before you have actually met them...so i intend to meet these people when i start school....nice to know that u r interested in organometallic too...we should discuss stuff soon :)

Hey everybody, looks like I'm coming to A&M for English too :) I'm sending my acceptance tomorrow. Pumped to see you all there! I'm from Philly, so Texas weather is going to be a bit of a shock. What do you mean, no snow!?

I'll be coming from Pittsburgh, so I feel your pain :P

Hey everybody, looks like I'm coming to A&M for English too :) I'm sending my acceptance tomorrow. Pumped to see you all there! I'm from Philly, so Texas weather is going to be a bit of a shock. What do you mean, no snow!?

Did someone say no snow? By the way, I'm still waiting on this school (my first choice). :(

snowday1.jpg

Edited by joro

Haha that's t shirt weather.

Coming from the SF Bay Area, that looks like a lot of snow to me. :lol: Although the weather here is more shorts and a shirt, maybe an occasional sweater if it gets cold or starts to rain a bit.

PITTSBURGH!!!!! I did my undergraduate at the University of Pittsburgh and I miss it SO MUCH! Oh Pittsburgh, you shall always hold a special place in my heart. Miss me some Oakland.

I too love oakland - lots of nights spent there at the O or at my friend's apartment after drunken stumbling walks back from the south side :P

so when are you guys moving to college station, cause I haven't found an apartment yet and was thinking of reaching there early august (my countries student association provides accomodation for s short period) and then look for housing myself....is that advisable?

You might consider getting there sooner to try to beat the rush. My SO and I were planning to move at the beginning of July, then we found something available for the beginning of June, so we're moving earlier. Also, things that I've read make it sound like the town is pretty dead when during the breaks, so I'm really looking forward to getting acquainted with the town and taking care of some of the pre-term business before all of the undergrads get back to campus.

is first week of august gud enough for reaching there and looking for houses?? I am an international student and can not move there any time sooner :(

You may have a smaller selection, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something. You might consider checking out craigslist and area apartment websites in the meantime. We actually lined up housing without visiting. Some people think that's crazy, but we can always turn it down if we get there and it's not what we thought it would be. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

is first week of august gud enough for reaching there and looking for houses?? I am an international student and can not move there any time sooner sad.gif

I thought it would be, but my dad FLIPPED OUT and insisted that we head down to texas (from Philly) to do apartment searching before the end of April. Apparently he did his research and a LOT of places fill up if you go too late. We did our research online and picked out 7 places to go look at and actually ended up signing a lease on a really nice apartment I'm very excited about - however, he was right. We even had to get on the "wait list" for this place I'll be moving to in August, and I get the feeling that that's not entirely rare. If I were you I'd find a couple of places I was interested in and at least get in touch with them to figure out whether or not the first week of August is going to be too late. Good luck!

If you want a list of the apartments I looked at and what we thought of them, I'd be happy to provide :)

Of course, feel free to ignore my experience completely. It was entirely the product of an overprotective father and his goal to get settled before we packed up and moved across country. I don't mean to make you paranoid - just letting you know what I experienced and heard.

I thought it would be, but my dad FLIPPED OUT and insisted that we head down to texas (from Philly) to do apartment searching before the end of April. Apparently he did his research and a LOT of places fill up if you go too late. We did our research online and picked out 7 places to go look at and actually ended up signing a lease on a really nice apartment I'm very excited about - however, he was right. We even had to get on the "wait list" for this place I'll be moving to in August, and I get the feeling that that's not entirely rare. If I were you I'd find a couple of places I was interested in and at least get in touch with them to figure out whether or not the first week of August is going to be too late. Good luck!

If you want a list of the apartments I looked at and what we thought of them, I'd be happy to provide :)

Of course, feel free to ignore my experience completely. It was entirely the product of an overprotective father and his goal to get settled before we packed up and moved across country. I don't mean to make you paranoid - just letting you know what I experienced and heard.

hey thanx for the info.....can u give me the list of places u find nice....i have found a couple of places i like till now...will like to have more options before i decide on a place

TIA

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived in town today. Very humid.

About the only "dry" time is late December to late February. Moving to Georgia, everyone kept warning me about the humidity. Hah! Athens is a helluva lot drier than College Station. My hair and skin are just now adjusting after almost a year.

I found an apt in CS that I'm very happy with BUT I am really freaked out about Texas renters rights or lackthereof (especially if the apt belongs to TAA- Texas Apartment Association)!!!

I'm reading through all of TAA's documents and am concerned that landlords can just enter someones apartment while there not home, granted there is a somewhat lengthy list of specific reasons they are able to come in, but still this makes me VERY uncomfortable.

For those of you renting in TX, how often does this actually happen? In your experience, do your landlords generally give you advanced warning when they will be entering (for filter changes, pest control, etc. etc.) or do they just waltz in?

I also read that after you give them your 2 months notice that you will be moving out, one of the reasons they can come in is to show your apartment to prospective tenants!??!? Sooo STRANGERS can come into my apartment, be around my property, valuables, pets, etc while I am not there??? Ludicrous. Does this happen in reality or is it just something they "can" do but don't really do???

I knew moving to TX wasn't going to be fun, it's so wild wild west.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use