how transferable are post-bacc programs?

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding post-bacc programs--specifically, how transferable they are from one school to another, and if anyone has any experience with the UVM program. I applied really early because there are a few others I am applying to with earlier deadlines. They accepted me but said I had to respond within 14 days, before I've received any other replies. It is a 6 course certificate program, and I am a little worried that 6 courses may be considered too few, but they do offer a certificate of completion. Do you think some grad programs would make me take additional prerequisites? Would the certificate of completion help in this regard?

Any advice is helpful, since I only have 11 days left to decide! (I plan on calling financial services at the first opportunity to discuss financial aid, another concern of mine).

I have never heard of any difficulty from others. I was just accepted into University of Houston and they accepted all my courses from Northern Arizona University, and I had courses that were specific to SLPA's. I did have to supply them with a syllabus for one of the courses, which they ended up accepting. Just make sure they are similar to the pre-req's for your desired graduate programs. 

What do you mean by "transferable"? Do you mean transferring courses taken in one post-bacc into a 2nd bachelor's? I know with Utah State's 2nd bachelor's, they will only allow 1 course to transfer in and it has to be deemed an exact match for the USU course. I had taken a linguistics course that included a syntax module and tried to transfer that in for 5100 (Language Science) but it got denied.

Grad schools will make you take any leveling course not included in your post-bacc as part of the master's at graduate level tuition. It's not like you get out of taking the course entirely. The cost difference is why I decided to do the full CSD 2nd bachelor's as opposed to just a few pre-reqs. I cannot afford to pay grad-level tuition for the same course that USU offers for much cheaper.

2 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

What do you mean by "transferable"? Do you mean transferring courses taken in one post-bacc into a 2nd bachelor's?

I was thinking more along the lines of the post-bacc courses correlating to the pre-reqs offered by the graduate university. I'm trying to keep my options open since I don't know what grad program to enter yet, so I'm hoping to avoid entering a grad program and still having to take one or two pre-reqs. The fact that UVM's program is only 6 courses and many other post-bacc programs are 8 or 10 courses makes me a little hesitant.

Looking at the UVM course list the things I see as missing that you would need to take at grad school:

-Anatomy of Speech & Hearing (unless that's what "Speech and Hearing Science" is and if that's the case then you'd be missing the course that covers Speech Acoustics)

-Articulation Disorders

-Language Assessment and Intervention

-Communicative Disorders

-Audiology

-Aural Rehab

-Clinical Observation

-Fluency

-Voice

That's an awful lot of courses to be paying grad level tuition for.

I think I would target the grad schools you are interested in first.  I just finished post-bacc classes -due to family limitations I knew I could only apply to a few schools so I looked at there pre-requisites.  I did 6 in-person and 2 on-line (fall/spring).  I have accepted an offer at a school that only required 6 but I was just accepted off the wait list at another school and may have to do 2-3 more courses over the summer.  I think 6 courses will really limit where you can apply -or you will end up doing some the summer before you start.  Also, some of the schools I looked at did not require the one or two education classes for state licensure -but I will need to take them at some point if I want to work in schools.  Other things to consider -your current GPA -if it's high then the schools have a positive way to evaluate you.  But if your GPA is average it can help to take more post-bacc classes to try to demonstrate how proficient you are in CSD.  

I'm adding: I think there is an advantage to doing post-bacc classes where you think you want to apply -I got to know my professors and ask for letters of recommendation.  I was accepted into the Masters program I think partly because I was engaged in class discussions and demonstrated my interest in the field.

Edited by Afternoonprogram