Spokane, WA

maurmaur

Hello!

I searched for Spokane and it seems like it's only mentioned when Pullman is mentioned.

I'll be moving to Spokane in the fall so I was wondering if anyone knows anything because I know absolutely nothing!

• 9 months later...

Spokane is a nice city. It's hard to get around without a car. It's in Eastern WA, so it's pretty dry, and it has all four seasons. There is a ton of beautiful hiking, if you can get yourself off campus. There are a couple of colleges there. 

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have any recent experience with Spokane? I will hopefully be moving there this summer (depending on funding decisions), and I'd like to know more about the area. Are the people there nice? Accepting? What is it like living in the city? Are there many creative types? What's the cost of living like? 

@rin__iris I lived in Spokane for a few years until 2019 and really enjoyed my experience, so I'll try to answer your questions. The main thing to keep in mind is that Spokane is smaller than a city and larger than a town, and you'll find modest qualities of each. Most people I encountered were down-to-earth. Just like any place, you can often find like-minded people if you're keen to look for them. Cost of living is very reasonable but has been on the rise because the city is experiencing a boom with folks from CA and western WA moving in. Medical and tech are the big industries, with the rest of the market being service/retail-type jobs. People who grew up and never left Spokane will complain of its "crime" but there's little more than petty theft and the unfortunate issue of addictions among houseless groups--yet nothing in comparison to an actual city. If you're into outdoor activities, you can keep busy all the time with hiking/backpacking, biking, climbing, kayaking, etc. Surprisingly good food if you know where to look, and of course, great coffee. Gonzaga basketball unites the city.

Demographics: very, very white. Eastern WA heavily leans conservative and Republican, minus Spokane. There's an increasing issue of white Christian nationalism in the area, including the Idaho panhandle. Many Christian and other religious groups oppose this far right movement, but know that it's a problem.

Feel free to message me with any other questions. I'd love to offer suggestions on coffee/food, hiking trails, neighborhoods, etc.