Anyone else starting PhD with chronic illness?

On 7/19/2019 at 2:18 AM, 1996kayden said:

I am going in knowing that I will have to take the first summer and the first semester of my second year off (maybe more...) to recover from major surgery. And possibly have a few smaller surgeries after that. The grad policy gives me one semester of medical leave and I am definitely worried about how this time off will impact my learning, my work, and applying for things like the NSF GRFP. Also worried what happens if I have complications and/or need more time to heal than the one-semester the grad policy gives me. I'm not sure how to tell my advisor that surprise! his new student is going to be MIA for the first summer and half of his second year... 

Anyone else had to take time off (a semester or more) and how did that go for you?

I will update this in case it helps anyone in the future. Told my PI that I would be taking a calendar year off and he was concerned for my wellbeing but very supportive. Got the leave officially approved by the Dean. Apparently the policy changed so grad students can take up to 2 years off without having to reapply (and then reapplying is apparently more of a formality). So yay. Still not sure how it impacts something like the NSF GRFP, but I'm a lot less worried now. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:12 PM, 1996kayden said:

I will update this in case it helps anyone in the future. Told my PI that I would be taking a calendar year off and he was concerned for my wellbeing but very supportive. Got the leave officially approved by the Dean. Apparently the policy changed so grad students can take up to 2 years off without having to reapply (and then reapplying is apparently more of a formality). So yay. Still not sure how it impacts something like the NSF GRFP, but I'm a lot less worried now. 

Thank you, that's really good to know. I discussed my chronic illness (juvenile arthritis) in my SOP as it was a big reason I chose my field, so if a program admits me, they know what they're getting. I'm taking a year off now between undergrad and grad to get my health in a better place, but I don't know if I'll need to do it again mid-program.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm so inspired by all you amazing people! ? 

On 2/1/2020 at 8:36 AM, passere said:

Thank you, that's really good to know. I discussed my chronic illness (juvenile arthritis) in my SOP as it was a big reason I chose my field, so if a program admits me, they know what they're getting. I'm taking a year off now between undergrad and grad to get my health in a better place, but I don't know if I'll need to do it again mid-program.

I asked about supports for health issues (gastric issues/tiring easily) in my interview and luckily my PI was very supportive. I did have difficulty bringing up my learning disability (mild ADHD) though. Anyway, the supports (deferring, leave of absence, insurance) are similar for physical or mental health. Because of how semesters work in the Southern hemisphere, I have around 10 months between undergrad and grad school to work on my physical and mental health. Really hoping this will be enough- I'd feel terrible cancelling on my PI and prospective roommates etc.. 

I don't know if I'll need to take a leave of absence mid-program- does anyone know if international students (like me) are able to stay in the states if they take time off?

hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a chronic (neurological) illness and in a phd program. first, congratulations on your hard work and for getting so far! be proud of yourself and support others. I signed up with disability services and got accommodations for exams and for turning in some assignments late. having a good support network and health providers helps a lot. keep going everyone and yay for us. we'll make it somewhere (don't know where exactly at the moment), even if more slowly, but surely! be kind to yourself and realize how far you have traveled. academics can be compromised, but health not so. :) you come first. etc..

O.

Edited by osmosis25

5 hours ago, osmosis25 said:

hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a chronic (neurological) illness and in a phd program. first, congratulations on your hard work and for getting so far! be proud of yourself and support others. I signed up with disability services and got accommodations for exams and for turning in some assignments late. having a good support network and health providers helps a lot. keep going everyone and yay for us. we'll make it somewhere (don't know where exactly at the moment), even if more slowly, but surely! be kind to yourself and realize how far you have traveled. academics can be compromised, but health not so. :) you come first. etc..

O.

Thanks for the perspective! I really hope I'll be able to get accommodations for turning things in late sometimes. I never tried in undergrad (mistake) and I've heard stories of some people having trouble getting the accommodations they need. I'll also have to find new providers since I'll be going across the country. It'll be an adventure, for sure.