Choosing a fall rotation

Janiejoneswoah

Basically I have no idea where to start—how far in advance should I set up my rotations? Should I wait until I start the program and meet some more PI's of interest before I actually choose my first one, or is it better to do it in advance? When contacting the PI, what is the etiquette—keep it brief, just say 'hey your research seems really cool' etc. or should I go into some detail in terms of what I found interesting and what my experience has been? Include a CV and/or personal statement?

Any and all advice appreciated.

In my case, I already contacted some PIs whom I want to do my rotations. I think it is better they know beforehand that you're interested in working with them for your rotations and probably for your thesis. Sometimes, they accept a certain number of students per rotation so it's better to contact them early.  One of the PIs that I contacted told me that I could rotate in her lab at the start of the Fall semester. However, if you're still undecided which lab to rotate I think you will have a chance to meet all of the PIs and know their research projects. From there you can start to select. Hope it helps.

I've also contacted rotation labs.  So far, I've scheduled one rotation, had a PI tell me to talk to her when I arrive, and another hasn't responded.  I didn't include a CV or personal statement, but I did quite briefly outline my experience and interests for PIs who I thought might not know (or remember) much about me.  I also mentioned something about each PI's research, which was pretty simply 'you do this type of research on this model, and I like that.'  I met all of these PIs at the interview visit last February, which I think made each e-mail much easier to write.  

I was given advice to leave one quarter open in order to keep yourself flexible for changing interests and situations that happen after you arrive.  I haven't really paid attention to that advice, but it seems reasonable.  

Check in with your program to see if they have any resources at orientation to help you choose.

I was going to start contacting PIs, but I spoke to a current student in my program and found out that there's a poster session at the beginning that is a really awesome way to narrow down your list and find out what available PIs are up to.

I went ahead and set up my first one, then plan to go to the poster session for my program to meet more PIs. Not sure what others have done, but I kept my email pretty brief, just introduced myself and said what program I will be in, that I am interested in their research on X, and wanted to know if I could talk with them some time about a rotation. I was able to have a meeting in person, but you could suggest Skype or a phone call if they want to actually speak with you, rather than just email. I also attached my CV.

Personally, I don't think it is too early to start, but I don't know what the PIs think. I met with two (one currently doesn't have funding for me, so she said to check with her later), and both were more than happy to go ahead and meet with me and made no indication that I had started planning rotations too early. I would say just make sure you're not being too hasty with your decisions because if you do end up securing a rotation this early on, you have a couple months during which you could decide that you aren't interested in that lab after all, or that you would rather do something else.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I think it depends on the program. Mine sent out a faculty funding survey to us in July and told us to pick a first rotation lab by the beginning of September. So I contacted the first PI I rotated with in early August. He was happy to take me.

Also, yes, include your CV. Generally, I've just expressed interest in rotating with them in my email, didn't go into detail.

Edited by lilacs

Good advice in here. Emailing potential PIs of interest is a good way to start. This way you express interest and also see if the PI's lab is taking students. Some programs have a poster session at the beginning of orientation for new students. I know my program does this, and it's a great way to meet the PIs and see what is going on in each lab. If something like that doesn't happen, then email is probably your best option. Just include a brief blurp on why you're interested in the lab and include a couple of brief questions. Also attach a copy of your CV or resume for their perusal.

Best of luck!

It is okay to meet with a professor about a rotation without committing to doing a rotation in his or her lab. This process is all about you. 

Take some time to brainstorm about your interests. This can and probably will change from rotation to rotation. Once you have your general interests listed, look for a few PIs who fit your criteria. Look into a few of their papers, see how many graduate students they have, and find out how many students have graduated from their lab. Send brief emails. "Hello Dr. X, My name is Y, and I am an incoming student in Z Program. I am interested in your work. Do you have time in the next week or two to meet with me to discuss rotation projects." You will either get a response setting up a meeting, a response saying they are not taking students, or no response. Regardless of the response, or lack thereof, send more emails. 

Meet with the PIs and be prepared to discuss projects. Ask straight up, "if I join your lab, will you have funding to support me?" This might feel awkward, but it is incredibly important. When you meet with the PI, take the time to meet with current graduate students in the lab. Once you have met with a few PIs, pick a lab for your first rotation. Do not let them pressure you into rotating in their lab. For the PIs you do not go with, send them an email saying you are going to pursue a different interest and that you will contact them about a second or third rotation. 

After you complete your first rotation, rinse and repeat. Each time, reevaluate your interests. 

I just completed the rotation process and joined a lab in March, so I am happy to talk with you more about the process if you're interested. 

• 3 weeks later...

In April, I reached out to a professor I am the most interested in and she told me that she generally takes students every year, and would be "delighted to host me in the fall". Is that a tentative commitment to being my first rotation mentor, or should I follow up in another email before the start of the semester? Or, should I hold off until the semester begins? Any advice?