PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

Here are the Georgetown admissions stats from last year, to illustrate what I described just now:

http://www1.georgetown.edu/departments/ ... rocedures/

That's fascinating actually.

I don't know jack shit about their department: are they really that good in comparative and int'l relations (as compared to american and theory) or is that there are just that many people looking for those sub-fields in general? You definitely have a nontrivial better chance if you are an americanist or a theorist at getting in--if I'm not mistaken, something like 25 percent of American apps were accepted, compared to 9 for int'l relations. But a very low funding rate. Dang.

Some people have remarked that GW is good with funding--any further details? I applied and looked at their site--looks like TA's from the department with uni fellowships, but the site didn't really go into good detail (like all our students receive X, or something along those lines).

Some people have remarked that GW is good with funding--any further details? I applied and looked at their site--looks like TA's from the department with uni fellowships, but the site didn't really go into good detail (like all our students receive X, or something along those lines).

From what I remember, funding levels are different for each individual based on the numerical rank of their application package, ie most highly qualified gets the most money, least qualified but still accepted might not get anything, or maybe just a tuition waiver. It also changes based on the yearly budget of the dept.

I have some limited knowledge of the department at Georgetown. It is an unusual place, to be sure, but with some definite strengths, several interesting faculty members and a much improved placement record of late. This isn't really reflected in most of the sources that prospective applicants consult (faculty at their undergrad institution, US News etc) simply because, as most of these improvements have occurred very rapidly in the last 5 years, there is a reputational lag.

The funding question is still a thorny issue. As the figures linked to above show, the department only tends to offer full funding to a third of the incoming PhDs (my source claims that this is due, in part, to decisions about funding priorities made by Georgetown's graduate school, and it is something the department is continually striving to resolve). This will definitely have an impact on the popularity of the department amongst prospective applicants, as well as on the decisions of those who actually receive offers. But I hear that there are sources of funding that become available to students on an ad hoc basis once they arrive. The funding figures are probably also skewed, in comparison to peer schools, because every year a small number of people accept an unfunded offer on the basis that they'll still be working in DC whilst studying.

In at Stonybrook (no $ yet), Out at Penn State. For some reason, it wouldn't let me post the results.

I'm actually not surprised to be dinged by a lower school. My profile is the type that makes me either a finalist or an easy reject.

Congrats on Stony Brook! They're great for behavior and have a pretty good placement record.

Extremely odd about the Cornell waitlist. Was that anybody here? Just seems strange that they would announce waitlists pre:acceptances (unless the accepts haven't yet posted).

Hoping they send out the verdicts (all types) soon---Any accepts yet?