Anybody else on the Emory waitlist?

thees

i just got the phone call that I am in pending situation(meaning waitlisted...). I gotta wait until mid-April. hopefully, i'm off the waitlist soon. I heard mid-march is the big decision time. Anybody knows what was the chance of getting off from the Emory waitlist in previous years?

Thees, did you interview at Emory last weekend? If not, the website indicates that the GDR will contact folks who were not invited to interview to inform them whether their applications are still under consideration. If they didn't use the term "waitlist" to describe the status of your application, I think they are letting you know that your application is still undergoing review - so, perhaps they haven't decided who to waitlist yet. I also applied to Emory, but didn't get an invitation to interview. I have yet to hear about the status of my app. Does anybody else know what's going on?

Thees, did you interview at Emory last weekend? If not, the website indicates that the GDR will contact folks who were not invited to interview to inform them whether their applications are still under consideration. If they didn't use the term "waitlist" to describe the status of your application, I think they are letting you know that your application is still undergoing review - so, perhaps they haven't decided who to waitlist yet. I also applied to Emory, but didn't get an invitation to interview. I have yet to hear about the status of my app. Does anybody else know what's going on?

Yes, I went to the interview last weekend. They already selected the first round admission on Feb.9. They did not use the term, "waitlist," but my pending status is technically same thing as "waitlist." My application was not admitted by the GDR committee so far...

Poop. I had feared as much with my less-than-stellar interview performance, but I guess I have been eliminated. Congrats on staying in play Thees. Sweetnlow, I'm pretty sure initial decisions were made last Saturday, right after interviews (at least for my sub-discipline, as evidenced by all the interviewing faculty meeting RIGHT after I finished my last interview!). I would assume they would need to submit those offers to the Graduate School for approval, which may take a few days. The three acceptances to Emory GDR on the Results page are a bit odd though, as they were notified via email? And all reported around the same time in the same fashion? I suspect trolling :).

Poop. I had feared as much with my less-than-stellar interview performance, but I guess I have been eliminated. Congrats on staying in play Thees. Sweetnlow, I'm pretty sure initial decisions were made last Saturday, right after interviews (at least for my sub-discipline, as evidenced by all the interviewing faculty meeting RIGHT after I finished my last interview!). I would assume they would need to submit those offers to the Graduate School for approval, which may take a few days. The three acceptances to Emory GDR on the Results page are a bit odd though, as they were notified via email? And all reported around the same time in the same fashion? I suspect trolling smile.gif.

Hey ya'll. I would suspect that all the Emory admits on the results page are legit. Emory made its first round of admits pretty much right away as they had to submit nominations for university-wide fellowships by Tuesday afternoon. That is also why folks posted pretty much at the same time. I was contacted both by phone and by email so it isn't that strange that folks are selecting 'email' as the contact method.

At this stage in the game if you haven't been contacted or have been waitlisted you should assume nothing about your chances of being admitted in the coming weeks. There are still a lot of factors in play including both who accepts which offers AND which departments get extra slots after all the money is divided up. Some departments contact waitlist folks early, some later. Some departments will have a second round of contacts to make in a week or so, etc. I will say, though, that I haven't heard of anyone being admitted here that wasn't interviewed in one way or another (i.e. either in person or by phone). In any event, the reality is that there is so much still going on behind closed doors that it is impossible to say at this point what one's chances might be moving forward, but there is at least reason to remain hopeful! Good luck everyone!!

Hey ya'll. I would suspect that all the Emory admits on the results page are legit. Emory made its first round of admits pretty much right away as they had to submit nominations for university-wide fellowships by Tuesday afternoon. That is also why folks posted pretty much at the same time. I was contacted both by phone and by email so it isn't that strange that folks are selecting 'email' as the contact method.

At this stage in the game if you haven't been contacted or have been waitlisted you should assume nothing about your chances of being admitted in the coming weeks. There are still a lot of factors in play including both who accepts which offers AND which departments get extra slots after all the money is divided up. Some departments contact waitlist folks early, some later. Some departments will have a second round of contacts to make in a week or so, etc. I will say, though, that I haven't heard of anyone being admitted here that wasn't interviewed in one way or another (i.e. either in person or by phone). In any event, the reality is that there is so much still going on behind closed doors that it is impossible to say at this point what one's chances might be moving forward, but there is at least reason to remain hopeful! Good luck everyone!!

Thanks ktau. This process lends itself to fatalism a bit too easily! And in a year where gradcafe seems a tad colder than years past, I appreciate your encouragement.

Thanks ktau. This process lends itself to fatalism a bit too easily! And in a year where gradcafe seems a tad colder than years past, I appreciate your encouragement.

No problem, PhdWannabee. This whole process is enough to drive anyone to the brink! I also felt like my interview didn't go well so was in an anxiety induced depression all weekend, on a high when I got the call Tuesday, and have been completely emotionally drained for the last two days from the roller coaster ride. Keep hope alive until you receive definitive word to the contrary. All the best...

Emory made its first round of admits pretty much right away as they had to submit nominations for university-wide fellowships by Tuesday afternoon. That is also why folks posted pretty much at the same time.

I'm assuming you guys are talking about the PhD, but I'm wonding if that applies to the Master's as well. Since I was notified Monday at noon and I know others are still waiting for notification, would that be any indication that I'm in for a substantial financial aid package?

Poop. I had feared as much with my less-than-stellar interview performance, but I guess I have been eliminated. Congrats on staying in play Thees. Sweetnlow, I'm pretty sure initial decisions were made last Saturday, right after interviews (at least for my sub-discipline, as evidenced by all the interviewing faculty meeting RIGHT after I finished my last interview!). I would assume they would need to submit those offers to the Graduate School for approval, which may take a few days. The three acceptances to Emory GDR on the Results page are a bit odd though, as they were notified via email? And all reported around the same time in the same fashion? I suspect trolling :).

I can attest to at least one of the results page posts being legit. I was honestly surprised by the turn around time for notification after the interviews, but yes they did notify some folks via email. I don't know what that means in terms of other applicants. At the interview the committee said they were interviewing some folks overseas (via phone or video) and that they had simply not interviewed some candidates they were seriously considering. So I wouldn't count yourself out of the running due to interviewing or not interviewing, hearing or not hearing by a certain date.

best of luck everyone

I can attest to at least one of the results page posts being legit. I was honestly surprised by the turn around time for notification after the interviews, but yes they did notify some folks via email. I don't know what that means in terms of other applicants. At the interview the committee said they were interviewing some folks overseas (via phone or video) and that they had simply not interviewed some candidates they were seriously considering. So I wouldn't count yourself out of the running due to interviewing or not interviewing, hearing or not hearing by a certain date.

best of luck everyone

They may have said they are considering folks they aren't interviewing, but that doesn't seem likely. I applied (Theological Studies) and did not get an interview. I have not heard anything, but it seems like I the news will not be good. Any insights from anyone?

They may have said they are considering folks they aren't interviewing, but that doesn't seem likely. I applied (Theological Studies) and did not get an interview. I have not heard anything, but it seems like I the news will not be good. Any insights from anyone?

I don't know how likely or unlikely it is for other subdivisions, but it happens for WSAR. Several current WSAR grad students were admitted w/o interviews or w/ over the phone interviews. They often admit students who are overseas and unable to attend the interview weekend.

I don't know how likely or unlikely it is for other subdivisions, but it happens for WSAR. Several current WSAR grad students were admitted w/o interviews or w/ over the phone interviews. They often admit students who are overseas and unable to attend the interview weekend.

did you interview for emory?

You can officially add me to the waitlist (though I was already pretty aware of this). I finally broke down and emailed my prospective advisor, whom replied that if I hadn't received a rejection letter I could still be considered for any spots that came available. No mention of waitlist, but if it quacks like a duck, then it must be a waitlist.;)

No word on ranking of said list, so I'm back in the ambiguous realm. If you have an HS offer from Emory, I strongly suggest you turn it down. Really. It's the only program to which I applied. :D

Edited by PhdWannabee

You can officially add me to the waitlist (though I was already pretty aware of this). I finally broke down and emailed my prospective advisor, whom replied that if I hadn't received a rejection letter I could still be considered for any spots that came available. No mention of waitlist, but if it quacks like a duck, then it must be a waitlist.;)

No word on ranking of said list, so I'm back in the ambiguous realm. If you have an HS offer from Emory, I strongly suggest you turn it down. Really. It's the only program to which I applied. :D

Why would you only apply to one program?

Why would you only apply to one program?

Non-mobility issues. Last year I applied to 12 programs, was accepted to 4. Had to decline due to same non-mobility issues. C'est la vie! As much as I'd like to be an absent minded professor, sometimes there are things in life even more important. Shocking I know.

Non-mobility issues. Last year I applied to 12 programs, was accepted to 4. Had to decline due to same non-mobility issues. C'est la vie! As much as I'd like to be an absent minded professor, sometimes there are things in life even more important. Shocking I know.

Totally makes sense - I was just curious. I am in a similar situation myself. I did apply to multiple programs, but leaving where I am for another program would be difficult and maybe, in the end, unfeasible. I didn't mean to sound snooty or judgmental; I was honestly just asking. I wish you the best with Emory.

On 2/19/2010 at 9:50 AM, thekid said:

Totally makes sense - I was just curious. I am in a similar situation myself. I did apply to multiple programs, but leaving where I am for another program would be difficult and maybe, in the end, unfeasible. I didn't mean to sound snooty or judgmental; I was honestly just asking. I wish you the best with Emory.

Sorry thekid...my snarkiness was just a little displacement going on :blink:. Your comment certainly didn't warrant it. After two years of this wonderful process I'm about ready to give it an indeterminate break. I was rejected from Emory's TS last year (no interview weekend invite either), and after meeting with faculty on the TS and HS subdisciplines, I decided I was a better fit for HS. The move at least garnered me an interview, but we'll see if it pans out.

No word on ranking of said list, so I'm back in the ambiguous realm. If you have an HS offer from Emory, I strongly suggest you turn it down. Really. It's the only program to which I applied. biggrin.gif

Interesting to hear from someone in the same boat. I'm also pinned down to Atlanta (with Emory offering the only Ph.D. in Religion in the entire state of Georgia) and only applied to Emory.... and I also haven't heard yea or nay from them yet. I'm in ARC, though, so we shouldn't be in competition with each other since you're in HS. Good luck!

So it appears the GDR has dropped the hammer on the rest of the applications (mass email). But I'm still here, and IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! whew...that felt good. I was just thinking how much it would suck to wait until April and then be rejected. We can do this waitlist folks....:D

But the entries on the Results page don't all say what departments at GDR they applied to. I'm waiting to hear from wsar. I did the interview in the first week of feb.

So it appears the GDR has dropped the hammer on the rest of the applications (mass email). But I'm still here, and IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! whew...that felt good. I was just thinking how much it would suck to wait until April and then be rejected. We can do this waitlist folks....:D

I'm in the same position at Duke. It makes you want to scream!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! Somehow, that didn't make me feel any better...