UVA Acceptance

This is the first of my schools to have any action on the Results page, so I'm excited/freaked out. Looks legit. Anyone want to claim it ;) ?

I wish I could claim it, but I can't. I was having a great day at work, and then I saw it sitting there at the top of the page taunting me. I decided to check my inbox and, alas, there was nothing there. Now I've somehow convinced myself that I should prepare for a rejection.

I wish I could claim it, but I can't. I was having a great day at work, and then I saw it sitting there at the top of the page taunting me. I decided to check my inbox and, alas, there was nothing there. Now I've somehow convinced myself that I should prepare for a rejection.

I feel the same way, Crutch. I just about barfed when I saw it. So much for getting anything done today. *refreshes e-mail*

I'm more excited than anxious at this point, crutch. After all, it's still early days and there's only the *one* result listed thus far. Could be someone they're super keen on, they could be doing it in waves, or perhaps it's just a fake post. At this stage I wouldn't steel myself for rejection just yet...courage!

Historically UVa has notified in waves and worked down a long unofficial wait list before proceeding to an official one. Their acceptances trickle out as they see who bites before sending out the next round of acceptances. Their procedures may have changed, but I rather doubt there has been any significant overhaul. Don't freak out yet!

Historically UVa has notified in waves and worked down a long unofficial wait list before proceeding to an official one. Their acceptances trickle out as they see who bites before sending out the next round of acceptances. Their procedures may have changed, but I rather doubt there has been any significant overhaul. Don't freak out yet!

This is good to know, but I still can't shake this pessimistic feeling! :blink:

I saw that on the results page literally a minute before my class started. My heart was pounding and it took a lot to mask my flustered state from my students. Ugh, this week of silence and false alarms has been so stressful!

I did just check over the previous notification pattern - all over the place. One acceptance by email here, another by phone a few days later, then some almost a month later...so this one acceptance is not the kiss of death for us un-notified folks, but MAN it would be great to be that person! Definitely made me realize how much I want to be accepted there.

I'm the UVa acceptance. I was notified that my "decision was available" by the Grad school, which contained a link to my general "congrats" letter. I haven't been contacted by the English department directly yet.

I can hardly believe it and am frankly kind of dazed right now.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting (I know that feeling well, too)!

I'm the UVa acceptance. I was notified that my "decision was available" by the Grad school, which contained a link to my general "congrats" letter. I haven't been contacted by the English department directly yet.

Congratulations! So great to hear good news :)

I can't say for sure, but I think that they're going to be notifying other first-round acceptees at the beginning of next week. I think my decision letter was something of a fluke (a happy fluke, but a fluke), so don't let my post upset you. I only posted my acceptance to the results page because I was really, really excited.

Once again, I'm sorry to have upset anyone. :(

I can't say for sure, but I think that they're going to be notifying other first-round acceptees at the beginning of next week. I think my decision letter was something of a fluke (a happy fluke, but a fluke), so don't let my post upset you. I only posted my acceptance to the results page because I was really, really excited.

Once again, I'm sorry to have upset anyone. sad.gif

There's no need to apologize, lompoc727, though it's really considerate of you to be so cognizant of everyone's feelings and anxieties. You should feel proud of your acceptance, and have every right to be excited and post it on the Results Page (that's what I would have done). I think we're all (myself included) incredibly tense, nervous, etc., as it's feedback season and that's how we roll on Grad Cafe. wink.gif Congrats again on your terrific accomplishment.

Don't you start waltzing around here with your encouragement and your apologies and your frowny faces, and expect everything to be okay... We are pissed off! How dare you post something that made you happy?! The only way to rectify the situation would be to contact UVA and tell them you hacked the application system in order to steal my application files and use them for yourself. I fully expect an offer of admission in my inbox by 8:00AM (Central Time) on Monday morning.

:P

Just kidding, of course. Huge, HUGE congrats, and I, for one, am glad you posted the acceptance.

Don't apologize, you goof!! :P You got in, that's FABULOUS. You have every right to be super excited and happy and to post it on the Results page!

We're all just freaking out from every single peep regarding a school we applied to, be it an acceptance or a rejection.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting (I know that feeling

well, too)!

Congrats, Lompoc! You have every right to be excited and shout it from the rooftops! No need to apologize, though it is very kind of you to consider others' feelings. :). Jealous, of course, but not too jealous to be happy for you. Celebrate!

Once again, I'm sorry to have upset anyone. sad.gif

I agree with the others. If I had my way, I'd know about every single result from every single school I applied to the minute it came down the line. I also received an unusually early decision (alas, a rejection!) from a different school, and I think it's best to get it up on the results page as soon as possible. Doing so lets all of us know that decisions ARE being made, one way or the other, and that these adcoms aren't deliberately sitting on our applications, howling in glee as we squirm, as I sometimes fancy. For me, the deafening silence is infinitely worse than the rejection. Let the ax fall already! And like the others, I'm overjoyed to find out that people are being accepted to the schools I've applied to. Undoubtedly the people receiving the admits put in at least as much work as I did to get there, and I'm generally happy to see hard work pay off, even if it isn't my own. Congratulations!

Dude, awesome! Congratulations! UVa is so great, the English department is amazing, and Charlottesville is wonderful. Take the offer!!! Wahoowa :)

• 3 weeks later...

Though I don't wish to increase the already-epic levels of anxiety around here, I received a call from Prof. Paul Hunter yesterday afternoon informing me of my admission. And funding package!

Even better, I was at a conference in Memphis. I went out to Beale Street to commemorate the occasion accordingly.

I might not be trendy enough for Princeton or Yale, but OHMYGOD this is awesome.

Be of good courage, everyone! Things will work out.

Though I don't wish to increase the already-epic levels of anxiety around here, I received a call from Prof. Paul Hunter yesterday afternoon informing me of my admission. And funding package!

Even better, I was at a conference in Memphis. I went out to Beale Street to commemorate the occasion accordingly.

I might not be trendy enough for Princeton or Yale, but OHMYGOD this is awesome.

Be of good courage, everyone! Things will work out.

Hey, Ecce, congrats! I actually think people posting that were accepted sometimes brings the stress down a little. It's good to know that the "Accepted" on the results page is an actual person who's psyched about the program. I mean hell yeah, waiting for decisions is stressful, but it's kind of nice to be able to be happy for the ones who got it, even as I'm sitting in the dark. UVa is indeed awesome, and I'm glad you celebrated. What do you study?

Who knows about their notification pattern - it seems super erratic, so I don't know whether to give up hope yet. I don't suppose they gave you any info about number of admits, whether they're done notifying, or intended cohort size?

Seriously, though, congratulations!

Hey, Ecce, congrats! I actually think people posting that were accepted sometimes brings the stress down a little. It's good to know that the "Accepted" on the results page is an actual person who's psyched about the program. I mean hell yeah, waiting for decisions is stressful, but it's kind of nice to be able to be happy for the ones who got it, even as I'm sitting in the dark. UVa is indeed awesome, and I'm glad you celebrated. What do you study?

Who knows about their notification pattern - it seems super erratic, so I don't know whether to give up hope yet. I don't suppose they gave you any info about number of admits, whether they're done notifying, or intended cohort size?

Seriously, though, congratulations!

Thank you!

My area is the Restoration and Eighteenth Century.

Anyway, I really wish I could offer more in the way of information. To be honest, since I was on the road when I received the call, the conversation was limited mostly to finding out that I'd been admitted and that I'd gotten funding. When I talk to Prof. Hunter again, I will try to work out some of these details and report back. I'm not sure what the earliest admit result was, but I'm thinking that they definitely aren't following any sort of intelligible system up there in Charlottesville. Fingers crossed for everyone!