History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

Husband just received an email from the UPenn history department saying that they had never received one of his LORs and requesting that he have it emailed/faxed ASAP to their Soviet studies professor. Given UPenn's structure, this prof wouldn't actually be his likely advisor - he had applied to the transregional program to better integrate the Persian approach into his studies of Central Asia - and so I am trying to convince myself that this is a blessing in disguise. Am I deluding myself to interpret the request to mean that he's already made it past the first cut and is being seriously considered?

On the other hand, it doesn't reflect well of UPenn's bureaucracy if his application could have made it so far along the process without anyone letting him know that it was incomplete...

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not too much trouble, could you give some more specifics (i.e., who sent it, when, what it said, etc.)? I'm trying not to panic... Thanks! :)

It was in late December, from one of the Rutgers history dept's chairs for graduate education, giving me more information about some of the people who I said I was most interested in working with, and encouraging me to get in touch with them. Also, information about open houses, common sources of funding, and basically saying that it was a really nice department and that I should email him back if I had more questions.

Again though -- DON'T PANIC. It was a nice letter, but I still don't have a decision, according to their website! I figure it's all gonna be the blitz of March. Just relax and enjoy this time before you have to make a decision, you know? Schroedinger's Cat is still in the box.

It was in late December, from one of the Rutgers history dept's chairs for graduate education, giving me more information about some of the people who I said I was most interested in working with, and encouraging me to get in touch with them. Also, information about open houses, common sources of funding, and basically saying that it was a really nice department and that I should email him back if I had more questions.

Again though -- DON'T PANIC. It was a nice letter, but I still don't have a decision, according to their website! I figure it's all gonna be the blitz of March. Just relax and enjoy this time before you have to make a decision, you know? Schroedinger's Cat is still in the box.

Thanks so much! I'm way more stressed out about this process than I thought I would be :oops:

hey everyone,

I question/opinion for any one. I applied to Northwestern's History program. Apparently, they emailed me saying that they never received one of my letters of reccomendation and were missing a second copy of my graduate transcript, which believe me they were sent out. Do you think that it means that they may looking at my application closely or it was a really nice secretary making sure that everything was in order? I know that it's kinda subjective, but I wondering if anyone had any thoughts. The wait on a decision is killing me, and I fear that I'm falling into the trap of readig too much into it. I guess that the good news is that they didn't completely disregard my application though. :)

hey everyone,

I question/opinion for any one. I applied to Northwestern's History program. Apparently, they emailed me saying that they never received one of my letters of reccomendation and were missing a second copy of my graduate transcript, which believe me they were sent out. Do you think that it means that they may looking at my application closely or it was a really nice secretary making sure that everything was in order? I know that it's kinda subjective, but I wondering if anyone had any thoughts. The wait on a decision is killing me, and I fear that I'm falling into the trap of readig too much into it. I guess that the good news is that they didn't completely disregard my application though. :)

to be safe, I would check with the person who recommended you and send another transcript, just to be sure. Indeed, it's great to know that they are not simply discarding just because you're missing files, but I would try to play safe and check those application requirements.

Good luck to all!

hey everyone,

Honestly, I do not think the secretary at NW is particularly nice, so I'd cautiously take this as a good sign.

Hey there,

So I checked the results page, and someone listed that they received an acceptance letter from Illinois-Urbana. The lady who emailed me said they were only meeting February 2nd to make decisions......I am thinking I didn't get in, if they already dated letters and someone received one.....the stress is killing me! By the way, if the person who got accepted is reading this.. Congratulations on your admission! :D

Hey dmh26~

I'm the one who received the admission to UIUC. The letter was dated Jan 23 and mailed on the 29th. A member of the department phoned me for confirmation and I got the opinion that they are still deliberating. Thanks for the well-wishes, I wish you success as well. And I KNOW what you mean about the stress.... has anyone else been driven to drink?????

WUSTL is apparently updating their website, as I just received my rejection there when I logged on to check. I didn't even really expect it to be updated, since I've been checking now for 2 weeks. I know it's only one school, but it's hard when a rejection is the first news one hears! :shock:

Better luck to everyone else!

Ok....just to reiterate...all those with horrible GREs...there is hope! I just received a fellowship for full tuition, living stipend, and funding for summer work for five years! Totally freaking out right now! lol I feel like one of those self-help tapes when I say this...you all CAN do it and you will ALL do it! Good luck everyone and screw you ETS! lol

Hi all.

I've received an email from a Prof. from UCLA, notifying me that I had been accepted for the UCLA history department and also that the department had approved the recommendation on a 5 year package of funding, including 2 years of teaching.

My interest is in pre-modern Chinese history, and as I stated before I'm an international applicant (/w no degree in USA). I'm still waiting for news from Yale, Princeton, Michigan Ann Arbor, Columbia, but at least I'm glad to know that my first confirmation wasn't bad news.

I wish the best for everyone here, and also happy new "lunar" year to all.

Ok....just to reiterate...all those with horrible GREs...there is hope! I just received a fellowship for full tuition, living stipend, and funding for summer work for five years! Totally freaking out right now! lol I feel like one of those self-help tapes when I say this...you all CAN do it and you will ALL do it! Good luck everyone and screw you ETS! lol

Hi DMH,

What are "horrible" GRE scores?