Fulbright Nominees

Hello Folks

I am glad to be in your company here.

Is there anybody out there who has experience with Fulbright Scholarships? Is it a big boost to your application to win a FB Scholarship? Is the application process different in terms of time of notification, interviews, etc.?

Thanks

Hi, I'm currently a Fulbright nominee, but I have already get an acceptance letter from an university (not top but do has a great grad program)... I do believe that being a foreing, with outside funding (fulbright and posibly from our home country as well) is a big boost... many universities take it into account specially because we are people who "can affort" our living expenses and tuiton (at least we don't depend to much on the funding offer by them) and being honest, foreign students are a business there... One of the faculty over my country (PhD at USCD Scripps) told me the same thing... and more now than ever, people with outside funding benefit the universities at US... Of course this is not a general rule... top universities do get more applications that they can accept and often have to reject people who not only could handle the program, but who also have funding on their own... I think that being a Fulbright nominee do has a weight, but acceptance depend also on the relative strenght of our application respect to the other applicants, maybe you are not the only 'Fulbrighters' appying and perhaps they can only accept few people, so they will accept the best one... Best of luck!

Edited by mikens

And just to add, I believe that the whole "Fulbright process" that we had to go through in our home country is itself a screening process... it is definitelly a plus sign next to our application...

I think the reason of my relatively early acceptance is that their international deadline was due on November... I haven't heard from the rest of the universities I applied to

So where universities did you apply nmihaylov and to what program?

I applied to MS in applied mathematics to: University of Washington (Seattle), Oregon State University (math), NYU Courant and Harvard SEAS... I hope I get accepted to NYU, but anyone will be ok...

Yes, the procedure was more rigorous than the individual application to Am universities. But let's see if that counts...

I just got a rejection from UC Santa Barbara. The other applications are still pending, no info.

I am applying for PhD in Social Psychology. NYU, Princeton, Berkeley, UCSB, Amherst and Arizona State.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the fulbright s&t award and seems not to play a huge role.

I have 2 acceptances out of 6 - for the top schools I applied to being a fulbright definitely was not an argument in itself...

Still I'm really happy to have gotten it and I think this program has eased the application pain in many ways :)

• 4 weeks later...

I got the fulbright s&t award and seems not to play a huge role.

I have 2 acceptances out of 6 - for the top schools I applied to being a fulbright definitely was not an argument in itself...

Still I'm really happy to have gotten it and I think this program has eased the application pain in many ways smile.gif

Hi all,

So nice to find you, the fulbright winners! I am a fulbright s&t winner and I also have the impression that the award is not really an argument for the universities. 2 rejections out of 6 and one decision still pending.

But I really hate that somebody else applied on my behalf, it is really fustrating. They did not provide me with the chance to update my CV or write personalised SOP for each university.

Anyway, where did you decide to go?

• 5 months later...

Yes, the procedure was more rigorous than the individual application to Am universities. But let's see if that counts...

I just got a rejection from UC Santa Barbara. The other applications are still pending, no info.

I am applying for PhD in Social Psychology. NYU, Princeton, Berkeley, UCSB, Amherst and Arizona State.

So, did u get any positive answer?