Does this mean that i have been accepted?

lanalingam

Question

I had an interview with UoE yesterday and two hours after the interview, the programme head emailed me saying that he is recommending that I am offered a place on the programme. He followed it up by saying that when they talk to a student who has met the requirements of the highest category, they are able to make a recommendation immediately, as in my case. He also added that I would receive notification through the admission portal in due course. Does this mean that I have been accepted? or is it still a maybe until I actually get the letter?

I know I should wait since it has been just a day since he sent the email, but I am just really nervous as this is my dream programme. 

4 answers to this question

I am guessing you have figured this out by now, but for future reference, I am assuming that he would not have said anything to you unless he was sure of it.  I know my potential advisor was always very cautious to not make any promises until he knew for certain, and I am guessing this is standard procedure. 

Yes, the program has accepted you BUT you need the official letter of admission from the school. Until then, you are not officially accepted. It is VERY rare for schools not to admit someone programs recommend for admission, so congrats!

I had a similar situation happen to me when I had my interview for Hofstra. At the end of the conversation, the department head stated that he would be recommending me for admission, and that I would be getting additional information from the admissions department, as well as getting in touch with a student mentor. I got my official acceptance letter about a month later. I received it first through my admissions portal, followed by an official letter being sent through the mail. Congratulations! I bet you can't wait until you get the official word!