thesis proposal help

Hi all,

I'm about to enter my last year of my clinical psych masters program. I've been working on analyzing data for my thesis for the past year but I have been putting off writing and defending my proposal. I know that seems backwards but I am been more focused on getting the data analyzed so I can write a paper and attempt to get it published so I have totally put my thesis on the back burner. There is no prior research done on the topic I am researching so I am unsure of how to begin. Every time I sit down to start writing I get completely stuck. Any suggestions? 

My go to for when I have to write a proposal his Heilmeier's Catechism:

• What are you trying to do? Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
  • How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
  • What's new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
  • Who cares?
  • If you're successful, what difference will it make?
  • What are the risks and the payoffs?
  • How much will it cost?
  • How long will it take?
  • What are the midterm and final "exams" to check for success?

It comes from a former DARPA director (Heilmeier) and was designed to help both program officers and grant writers think through their proposal. 

Not all questions are applicable to all fields, but I find sitting down and doing a more free-form writing to answer each of the questions helps me get a lot of what I need down for writing a proposal. 

3 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Hi all,

I'm about to enter my last year of my clinical psych masters program. I've been working on analyzing data for my thesis for the past year but I have been putting off writing and defending my proposal. I know that seems backwards but I am been more focused on getting the data analyzed so I can write a paper and attempt to get it published so I have totally put my thesis on the back burner. There is no prior research done on the topic I am researching so I am unsure of how to begin. Every time I sit down to start writing I get completely stuck. Any suggestions? 

Hello Cindy. I just finished my master's thesis in the Spring 2017 semester. I will be happy to provide you with the guideline to writing a proposal that I was given by my thesis adviser, if you like. Let me know. It's several pages long, so I won't post here.

21 minutes ago, cowgirlsdontcry said:

Hello Cindy. I just finished my master's thesis in the Spring 2017 semester. I will be happy to provide you with the guideline to writing a proposal that I was given by my thesis adviser, if you like. Let me know. It's several pages long, so I won't post here.

That would be great, thank you!

52 minutes ago, Eigen said:

My go to for when I have to write a proposal his Heilmeier's Catechism:

• What are you trying to do? Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
  • How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
  • What's new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
  • Who cares?
  • If you're successful, what difference will it make?
  • What are the risks and the payoffs?
  • How much will it cost?
  • How long will it take?
  • What are the midterm and final "exams" to check for success?

It comes from a former DARPA director (Heilmeier) and was designed to help both program officers and grant writers think through their proposal. 

Not all questions are applicable to all fields, but I find sitting down and doing a more free-form writing to answer each of the questions helps me get a lot of what I need down for writing a proposal. 

Thanks!

17 hours ago, cowgirlsdontcry said:

Here you go Cindy and anyone else who wants it.

Guidelines on writing a research proposal.docx

I can't open this for some reason. I will try again later. If it still doesn't work maybe you can try messaging it to me? Thanks again!