Qtf311

Hi,

Simple question.  My GRE V is 158, writing, 4.5, Q....I am applying to History Ph.d programs this fall, my current gpa in my MA program is 4.0.  I am considering re-taking the GRE again (and studying this time).  With my current scores, what schools, based on ranking,  could I apply too and have a half decent shot at getting accepted?  Mid-rank, lower ranked schools?  

Thanks

Your stats are enough to avoid having your application binned immediately at any institution. But if I were you, I would disabuse myself of the notion that a PhD app is like a BA or MA one. Stats have very little relevance beyond a hurdle you have to clear, and the rankings of programs are mostly bullshit.

Edited by telkanuru

Thanks for the response.  So, it is really about LORs, SoP, and writting sample?  As for a writting sample, I am planning on submitting a research paper that I am presenting at a Grad conference later this year.  My LOR's seem solid.  But for the SOP, should I be as specific as possible for each institution?

It is indeed, and that sort of a paper sounds like a decent sample. 

There are a bunch of ways to do SOPs. Some people do actually draft a custom one for each institution, but I modified the final 2 paragraphs based on the school. But your argument for your fit, along with your demonstration of ability, are the most important components.

Just lurking, but that is good to hear (that stats aren't as important the SOPs, etc). I haven't taken the GRE yet and while I know I can do well at the verbal/written, I also know that since I have a severe math disability I'm going to do hopelessly bad at the Q part. Obviously, history professors don't really care about Q skills, it's just still going to be a bit embarrassing.

11 hours ago, Lily9 said:

Just lurking, but that is good to hear (that stats aren't as important the SOPs, etc). I haven't taken the GRE yet and while I know I can do well at the verbal/written, I also know that since I have a severe math disability I'm going to do hopelessly bad at the Q part. Obviously, history professors don't really care about Q skills, it's just still going to be a bit embarrassing.

I feel you, there. I did TERRIBLE on the math part and was horrified at myself, but. Well, it all worked out in the end. :)

Note that certain programs, particularly state schools, look at GREs for university-level funding packages, which are often significantly better than department funding. There are still reasons to stress over your quant score.

2 hours ago, telkanuru said:

Note that certain programs, particularly state schools, look at GREs for university-level funding packages, which are often significantly better than department funding. There are still reasons to stress over your quant score.

Yeah, I'm worried about that. My SAT scores was truly awful with quant and I can't see it changing for the GRE much (I've struggled and struggled with math but my skills never change, no matter what route I try for learning it). I'm hoping the fact that it's officially diagnosed and has been for quite awhile will help.

Edited by Lily9

On 6/26/2017 at 3:32 PM, Lily9 said:

My quantitative scores were terrible, I got into one ivy and four other good schools--at one school visit a younger assistant professor was like "hah your quantitative scores were pretty bad but not as bad as mine", so that's how much they mattered (Telkanuru is right about the funding thing for some state schools though) :) 

Edited by OHSP

On 7/6/2017 at 5:37 AM, miami421 said:

How bad is terrible, OHSP? 

I'm about to take the GRE and I'm scoring 162-164 on verbal and 147-151 on Math, so I'm curious. 

I can't actually remember the exact number but I know I was in the 49th percentile, so I think it was around 149 or 150 (at the most)--though pre-test I was getting around 158 on magoosh type services. Honestly no one cared about my score at all. I should also mention that I was offered a competitive scholarship at the highly-ranked state school I got into as well, so not all state schools will take it into consideration.

Edited by OHSP

• 1 month later...