Boston & Cambridge, MA

Has anyone used the Harvard Housing Office's lottery service (through the real estate office) to find a place to live? I sent in my application and have a view-and-select window near the beginning of June. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or knows someone who lives in one of these places. I'm curious about the quality/condition of the apartments, as well as the atmosphere in the buildings. Some of the places look quite nice (and are in fantastic locations), but they seem a tiny bit pricey compared to what I'm finding on craigslist.

In addition, does anyone know the names of good rental agents in Cambridge? I'm planning to visit for a few days in early June and would love to line up a bunch of apartment viewings, and I think a good agent would make that a lot easier.

Thanks a bunch!!

A friend who goes to Harvard said there used to be a chart on the Harvard Housing site that showed past rental patterns. You could see which properties were the most desirable by how many applications they had for each location. I don't have access but I'm sure you can find it if you dig a bit.

A lot of brokers & agents use craigslist to advertise their listings - especially in and around Boston. A good way to see what's out there and set up appointments with a few for a visit... just be ready to jump if you find something you like. June is a good time to start looking.

I am starting a Ph.D. at BU in September and have a couple of questions regarding where to live. How far and accessible is Jamaica Plain from BU? I don't want to ride the T for 2 hours everyday so perhaps J.P. is out of the question. Also, do many graduate students live in Brookline or is it mostly populated with undergraduates? Any helpful input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am starting a Ph.D. at BU in September and have a couple of questions regarding where to live. How far and accessible is Jamaica Plain from BU? I don't want to ride the T for 2 hours everyday so perhaps J.P. is out of the question. Also, do many graduate students live in Brookline or is it mostly populated with undergraduates? Any helpful input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here's the Graduate Housing Guide the Chemistry department sent us.

A friend who goes to Harvard said there used to be a chart on the Harvard Housing site that showed past rental patterns. You could see which properties were the most desirable by how many applications they had for each location. I don't have access but I'm sure you can find it if you dig a bit.

A lot of brokers & agents use craigslist to advertise their listings - especially in and around Boston. A good way to see what's out there and set up appointments with a few for a visit... just be ready to jump if you find something you like. June is a good time to start looking.

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll try to get my hands on that chart... my boyfriend lived in similar university-owned off-campus housing during undergrad and it was pretty awesome (great location, really responsive landlord), so I'm hoping for something similar from this.

• 2 weeks later...

How important is it in Boston to get an apartment with air conditioning? I don't see a lot of listings with A/C included.

I think it gets pretty brutal in the summer, but most people use window units. I would check to make sure you will be able to use one (if your place doesn't have central A/C, which not many do).

• 3 weeks later...

How important is it in Boston to get an apartment with air conditioning? I don't see a lot of listings with A/C included.

It's doable (though sometimes uncomfortable) with fans but without A/C in the summer. I lived in a third floor apt last summer with no A/C and will do it again this summer. It's not so bad. It's not unusual to get into the lower 90s, and you'll see higher than that once in a while. If you have someplace else air conditioned you can go during the heat of the day (eg. school, your favorite cafe, the library) on the worst few days then you definitely don't need it in your apartment. That said, it's definitely nice to have.

Like SuperMod said, it is common for Boston apartments not to have central air. Many people do window units (which can be acquired at reasonable prices on craigslist, and similarly gotten rid of when you move away), but you have to check with your landlord first; some apartments (especially those with older wiring) are not wired to support window A/C units (they draw too much current, and you'll just trip the breaker).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting grad school at NEU and have found a great place in Brookline, between Coolidge Corner and Brookline Village. Now I just need some good roommates, other grad students who will be a good fit. It's a 3 bedroom, 775/mo without parking, 850/mo with parking, heat/water included. If anyone is interested, I can give you more info/we can talk, etc... Feel free to email me at B.tankersley@yahoo.com Thanks,

Brandon

Edited by btankey

The details on the apartment are actually a little different than I originally posted--I didn't realize I would not be able to edit the post (or delete it, it seems). Rent is actually less than original post--$720 without a car, $800 with a car. First, last, and $700 security deposit. Can't believe I'm unable to edit my posting--oh well. 1200 sq. ft., hardwood floors, large bedrooms, close to Coolidge Corner...

• 2 months later...

Maybe it's preliminary, but I'm considering the pros and cons of living in different areas for grad school.

I'm somewhat used to traveling Boston/Cambridge. My question is this how far away from Cambridge/Medford do you have to live to find a place of your own at a reasonable price? One thing I know I won't want to deal with in grad school is roommates. What are surrounding towns you'd consider with travel to campuses in a car?

• 3 weeks later...

Brookline is nice and would be relatively easy to commute to BU from. Most undergrads probably live in Brookline's next door neighbors, Allston and Brighton. JP is probably a little bit of a tougher commute unless your classes are close to Kenmore.

Brookline is nice and would be relatively easy to commute to BU from. Most undergrads probably live in Brookline's next door neighbors, Allston and Brighton. JP is probably a little bit of a tougher commute unless your classes are close to Kenmore.

If you're good on a bike, JP -> BU becomes a lot easier. If you take the T, you're looking at either a bus (probably in heavy traffic), or a long subway ride from JP to Downtown Crossing and back out again to BU. If you bike, it's a 3-mile bike ride.

• 2 months later...

Hi folks...

I have no idea if I will be attending school in Boston next year or not, but I have an interview at one school and feel good about my chances. Here is my question-

My wife has a good job, which means we have more than just a grad school stipend for a budget. Nothing jaw-dropping, but it does open up some options. A co-worker of my wife commutes from Cambridge to Methuen and says it is not too bad, and my wife would be working in Methuen as well. I'm looking for more information on the commute from Boston, as well as some good places that would work for housing in between the two locations. Our bias is to be close to Boston, perhaps no further north than Medford, but we are open to learning more.

Thanks!

I don't currently live in Boston, but I did live near the Prudential Center for a year. I also have a slew of friends who live around that area.

Medford is solid. Your commute would be right up 93, I do this regularly. It can take 20-45 minutes depending on when you leave. I also drive 70- 75 mph. I-93 needs a bunch of work and will no doubt beat the hell out of your car, but you should be moving against the main flow of traffic at a good clip. It doesn't start to get really screwy until you hit Lawrence, and if you have a family you shouldn't be in Lawrence, period.

Billerica isn't bad. However, in my opinion all those surrounding commuter towns loose their character after Medford. Concrete Jungles. However, you'd probably find a better apartment for the price north of Medford.

Edited by musicforfun

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has a good job, which means we have more than just a grad school stipend for a budget. Nothing jaw-dropping, but it does open up some options. A co-worker of my wife commutes from Cambridge to Methuen and says it is not too bad, and my wife would be working in Methuen as well. I'm looking for more information on the commute from Boston, as well as some good places that would work for housing in between the two locations. Our bias is to be close to Boston, perhaps no further north than Medford, but we are open to learning more.

The commute from Cambridge/Boston to Methuen will be much less bad than the commute from Methuen to Cambridge/Boston, so I think your bias is right on. You'll be paying more for less living space than you would in one of the far-off suburbs, but in addition to the better commuting situation, being near the city will make you less car-dependent. And there are some relatively cheap places in Medford. Arlington (where I live right now) is also a good possibility. Winchester's in that area, but it's kind of a "bedroom community". Malden and Everett might be worth considering.

To some extent this depends on which Boston-area school you are interested in. If, for example, it is Tufts, then South Medford is great, because you'd be right there! If it's anything on the Orange Line, Malden or Everett or the Wellington area of Medford might be good. If it's one that's primarily accessible via the Red Line (MIT, Harvard), you might want to look at East Arlington, so that you could walk to the Red Line.

The commute from Cambridge/Boston to Methuen will be much less bad than the commute from Methuen to Cambridge/Boston, so I think your bias is right on. You'll be paying more for less living space than you would in one of the far-off suburbs, but in addition to the better commuting situation, being near the city will make you less car-dependent. And there are some relatively cheap places in Medford. Arlington (where I live right now) is also a good possibility. Winchester's in that area, but it's kind of a "bedroom community". Malden and Everett might be worth considering.

To some extent this depends on which Boston-area school you are interested in. If, for example, it is Tufts, then South Medford is great, because you'd be right there! If it's anything on the Orange Line, Malden or Everett or the Wellington area of Medford might be good. If it's one that's primarily accessible via the Red Line (MIT, Harvard), you might want to look at East Arlington, so that you could walk to the Red Line.

Very helpful...thank you for the info!

Billerica isn't bad. However, in my opinion all those surrounding commuter towns loose their character after Medford. Concrete Jungles. However, you'd probably find a better apartment for the price north of Medford.

I have to disagree with this. Personally I am a big fan of Melrose and it has a lot of character esp the downtown. I think it really depends on what you are looking for hedgequant. If you want to live in the city, I wouldn't suggest Medford or Arlington as they will be too suburban for your taste. You would be better off in Cambridge or maybe even Somerville depending on the area. Winchester is notorious pricey and suburban so I would cross that off the list. Will you have a car or do you want to rely on public transportation? Parking can be quite a PAIN and expensive in Boston in the surrounds. When I lived in Arlington I had tandem parking which I would not wish that on my worst enemy. Public transportation in and around Boston is okay. Not excellent, but not terrible-- but I find it a bit limiting especially if you choose to live in the suburbs.

Personally I would not live in Everett (or Revere or Chelsea for that matter). I would also be very strategic when selecting a place in Malden. My friends have had cars broken into and a catalytic converter stolen in broad daylight in the parking lot of the apartment complex. She called the police as the crime was being committed and they said that they couldn't help her (I know--yikes!) That being said there are some okay to nice areas in Malden in particular the Malden/Melrose border-- just be strategic and do your homework.

I have to disagree with this. Personally I am a big fan of Melrose and it has a lot of character esp the downtown. I think it really depends on what you are looking for hedgequant. If you want to live in the city, I wouldn't suggest Medford or Arlington as they will be too suburban for your taste. You would be better off in Cambridge or maybe even Somerville depending on the area. Winchester is notorious pricey and suburban so I would cross that off the list. Will you have a car or do you want to rely on public transportation? Parking can be quite a PAIN and expensive in Boston in the surrounds. When I lived in Arlington I had tandem parking which I would not wish that on my worst enemy. Public transportation in and around Boston is okay. Not excellent, but not terrible-- but I find it a bit limiting especially if you choose to live in the suburbs.

East Arlington and South Medford/Hillside are not more suburban, IMO, than large parts of Somerville and north/west Cambridge (now, Turkey Hill or Arlington Heights, sure, no argument there). I can walk to any of Alewife, Davis Square, or Arlington Center in less than half an hour from my place in East Arlington. They're also likely to be easier to commute to Methuen from, because you have quicker access to less congested, more open, parts of the highway. For that matter, you're more likely to be able to find off-street, non-tandem, parking, the farther out you go.

I agree that Melrose is fine.

There are a number of towns in the area that feel very urban near their downtown areas and very sprawly/suburban outside those areas - Waltham and Lexington come to mind (though Lexington's likely to be way too expensive for a grad student anyway). Sometimes the feel is more about the neighborhood than the town itself.

Compared to most of the country, Boston public transit is phenomenal. It all depends on what you're used to...I came up here from a mid-sized Southeastern city that had a crappy bus system and no trains at all. One of its biggest flaws, though, is that it's arranged in a spokes model - it's easy to get into Boston proper from outer towns, and easy to get to outer towns from Boston proper, but it is hard to get from outer town to outer town! Commuter rail (which goes to the places too far out for the subway) has gotten less good over the years - budget problems have caused the powers that be to implement some service cuts.

Eh, I wouldn't call the MBTA phenomenal after the week I've had on the T. Maybe it's phenomenal in theory, but not when you're sitting between two Green Line stops for 20 minutes, while you hear the conductors over the intercom trying to figure out what the problem is.

It was a fun night!

Just looking over some of the towns and cities mentioned. Billerica isn't a bad town if you're commuting to Methuen, but then if you're also commuting to the city, it's not great. Medford would be a good location, though; it's right on 93, it's easy to get places, and it's less undergrad-y than Somerville. Malden and Melrose are also good locations, and typically less expensive.

As for the BU area, I live in Brookline with a BU grad student. Brighton/Allston tend to be very grad-student-y, and I avoided it intentionally. JP is a bit distant, and one of the downsides is the fact that the E train, which goes to JP, skips over Kenmore before joining up with the main line. You might have to do some walking or fancy bus transfers. A bike would make it all easier, though. Otherwise, I'd consider Brighton, Allston, certain areas of Brookline, and Cambridgeport (which as the advantages of typically easier parking and the Red Line!).

• 3 weeks later...

So, there's a distinct possibility that my husband will attend Brown and I will attend Harvard at the same time. Does anyone know the feasibility of doing so? I hear the commute from Cambridge to Providence is 45 min to an hour. Is that right? Is there a good place to live in the middle of the two? Where would you suggest putting up residence, keeping in mind convenience, cost, the neighborhood, etc.? How good/reliable would the public transport be between the two campuses? We have a car, but would probably want to us public transit for the commute. Any other input? Thanks for anything!

So, there's a distinct possibility that my husband will attend Brown and I will attend Harvard at the same time. Does anyone know the feasibility of doing so? I hear the commute from Cambridge to Providence is 45 min to an hour. Is that right? Is there a good place to live in the middle of the two? Where would you suggest putting up residence, keeping in mind convenience, cost, the neighborhood, etc.? How good/reliable would the public transport be between the two campuses? We have a car, but would probably want to us public transit for the commute. Any other input? Thanks for anything!

I did my UG in Boston (Waltham, actually) and grew up in Providence. I live in Providence now.

The commute is absolutely possible. One might even say easy, depending on what you're used to. Cambridge is approx. 50 miles north of Providence. At normal times, the drive can be as short as 45 minutes. During rush hour, it can be as bad as an hour and a half (or worse if there is weather/construction). Luckily, the Boston/Providence "rush hour" window is shorter in duration than, say, NY or LA. From Providence, you can take I-95 North to either the Mass Pike or Rt. 2 East. The Mass Pike (MA 90) will take you straight to Harvard Sq., but there's a toll. Rt. 2 is definitely more indirect, and will take dump you at the Alewife Station (closer to Tufts in Medford/Somerville). The reverse is true from Cambridge to Providence.

As for public transportation, the MBTA runs a Commuter Rail from South Station in Boston to the Providence Station. $7.75 one way, but you can buy monthly passes that will save you a little. The trip is between an hour and 70 minutes with frequent stops. From South Station, there is a 15 minute T (subway) ride to Harvard Sq. From the Providence Station to Brown, the easiest thing to do is walk. Though there are buses and trollies that serve Brown, the train station is only a 10-15 minute walk from the heart of campus. Biking is also an option. So from either direction, you're looking at 75 to 90 minute commute via public transportation.

Some people also do a mix, where they drive to the RT 128 stop on the MBTA Commuter Rail line, park for the day, and then take the train in.

As for living, it depends mostly on your preference. The Boston area is obviously bigger, with more to offer. Plus, public trans make a car mostly obsolete. Affordable and nice areas to live include anywhere on the Cambridge/Somerville/Medford line (Porter and Davis squares). You'll need to start looking early if you want to get a place that won't be shared. I have friends who pay $1800/mo* for 3bdr in Porter Sq, and that's a steal. But, of course, they share it. Brighton is also worth considering. In Providence, most Brunonians live on the East Side near campus. You can find a slew of price variation here, but in general, Providence is more affordable than Boston for equal/better quality apartments. My girlfriend and I pay $800/mo for a large 1 bedroom apartment with large separate kitchen and living rooms. There are also a number of other neighborhoods that cater to students, including the West End/Armory district, which is currently undergoing a mild gentrification and has become home to many Brown graduate students. Providence is obviously smaller than Boston, but it has a lot to offer; food, above all, is our forte. Cafes and bars are abundant. And Providence is home to 7 colleges and universities (including RISD), so there is a lot of opportunity to do things. Work is scarce, however, if that matters to you. Your best bet is working through Brown, obviously.

In between Providence and Cambridge? I suppose it depends on your taste. There aren't really any cute New England towns tucked in between the two cities, mostly strip malls and football stadiums. The only place I can think of that is sort of in the middle is Attleboro, which has some nice areas and culture, but is overall very suburban. Closer to Boston you have Quincy, which is contiguous to the city's southern neighborhoods but maybe 20 minutes away from downtown by T. That might cut your commute to Providence a bit more than if you were living right in Cambridge.

OK, long post. I could go on. Hope that helps!

*Edit: mixed up the price. It is, in fact, $1800/mo

Edited by Nedologist