Boston & Cambridge, MA

I lived right next to Peabody Terrace and loved it! It's one of the nicest neighborhoods in the Boston area. It's fairly quiet, with nice tree-lined streets and friendly neighbors, but a five minute walk and you're on Mass Ave (a major thoughway) and in ten minutes you're in Harvard or Central Square. Really nice.

A question for those in the Cambridge area: I've found an apartment near Porter Square, but it's completely unfurnished. Where can I buy cheap furniture that'll be delivered to me within days (or better yet: on the spot) in the area? I have the apt starting September and the semester begins a week after that, so everything needs to be done in a hurry. I don't have a car, but I was thinking of renting something for the day I go shopping. I'll also have my bf with me for hauling and building :D . Thx.

Get a zip car, and go to ikea for the day! It's only about 35 minutes away, and you can get so much for a very little amount. I think Ikea even delivers....

Anything in the city, delivering, will get pricey pretty fast.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you definitely don't need a car if you're living around bu.

it depends on what your definition of "affordable" is. studios and one bedrooms will be $1000+. A nice room, with two or three roommates, will probably be $650+.

avoid allston (undergraduate ghetto).

I've skimmed most of this thread and haven't run across this question directly.

How much is it to BUY a small house/condo in the Cambridge area, as in the down payment and monthly mortgage. While I don't have a substantial monthly income I have a fair share of savings that could serve as a down payment, and building equity is far more ideal in the long run than flushing 1k+ down the tube every month renting, especially since it seems like there is no shortage of renters when/if I were to relocate after graduating. Anyone have experience with this?

• 3 weeks later...

I've skimmed most of this thread and haven't run across this question directly.

How much is it to BUY a small house/condo in the Cambridge area, as in the down payment and monthly mortgage. While I don't have a substantial monthly income I have a fair share of savings that could serve as a down payment, and building equity is far more ideal in the long run than flushing 1k+ down the tube every month renting, especially since it seems like there is no shortage of renters when/if I were to relocate after graduating. Anyone have experience with this?

It's very expensive and you should be able to get some actual numbers online on a site like realtor.com, but if you have the money, now is definitely the time to buy! The only thing about buying is that owning a home requires a substantial investment of time - there is always something needing improvement or to be fixed...

• 1 month later...

Just accepted to Harvard public health. Anyone have tips/suggestions/comments about living near the Longwood medical area and the feasibility of walking and biking in the area?

Thanks!

Yup! I live in Allston (2 miles away from the medical school-- 10 minutes biking, 35 minutes walking) and work on Longwood. Many people in the area commute by walking from Brookline or Mission Hill. Brookline is a nicer, more expensive area while Mission Hill is cheaper but has a lot of undergrads. The 66 bus runs from Harvard Square in Cambridge to the LMA and covers a great swath of Allston and Brookline, so that's also an option.

In my opinion the entire Boston area is extremely bikeable. It's my primary form of transportation and I haven't had to take public transportation all year except to get to the airport. We've recently seen a huge surge in the number of bicycle commuters, even in the dead of winter, and it really opens up your housing options if you ride to school-- I know some people in the area who commute in from Cambridge/Somerville, which is still only a 5-8 mile ride away. If you have any other questions about riding in the city, please don't hesitate to PM me!

• 2 weeks later...

any news from anyone on the phd program? i know the deadline was fairly late (either feb 1/15-- don't remember). their website has a nice little status check where the bubble becomes highlighted green if a decision is available but i was wondering if anyone had any info on dates? the results feed isn't so helpful since it seems to not be a hugely popular program on the grad cafe.

A logistical question...

I just got admitted into Boston College and they are having an admitted students day April 17. I live in Georgia so making the trek to Boston is expensive for me (plane tickets, hotels, and time off from work). I definitely plan on going to this event and what I'm wondering is that too soon to look for apartments? I'm looking to move in August or September right before classes start. They are having a housing fair in June but that would require another expensive trip to Boston. And I know better than to not visit a place before I sign a lease... So when I go up in April, do I stay longer than just the weekend so I can find an apartment and avoid having to come back in June, or is that too early for a August/September move in date? Any advice would be appreciated; city living is completely foreign to me as is apartment hunting (I come from a small town where it is cheaper to rent small houses with a roommate or two).

April is probably too early to be looking for September 1. There may be a few apartments where the landlord already knows the tenants are leaving in Aug and has started showing the apt, but really not many. Probably not worth your time. That said, there is another solution besides making another trip or renting sight-unseen. Find a roommate who lives closer to Boston who can more easily visit apartments and pick one for the two of you. True, the apt is still sight-unseen to you, but your roommate has a vested interest in picking a good place for the both of you, so as long as you communicate your needs well, you should be fine. How do you find a roommate? I'd suggest asking the grad coordinator of your program if he/she knows of any other first years (or older grad students, for that matter) looking for roommates. Chances are decent that you'll be able to find someone. Plus Boston is expensive, so you probably don't want to live alone anyway.

Good luck! Boston is awesome.

I've seen a bit of advice on this thread about timing for a August/September lease, but I don't think this specific question has been answered. What's the best time between now and September to visit Boston/Cambridge on a house-hunting trip? I interviewed at Harvard last month and went a few days early to check out the city, so I have some ideas on where I want to live. I'm close enough that I can make another trip to house-hunt, so when should I go? When are the most/best houses available? I'm looking for a lease on a 1- or 2-bedroom in Cambridge/Somerville (to share with my boyfriend) starting in August or September. Also, how does one find out who the major realtors/agents are? Thanks a bunch!!

I looked in mid June for a Sept 1 move-in, and I found that there were lots of apartments on the market (I tried to start looking in mid May and there wasn't much out there... too early). If you plan to work with an agent, you could get in touch with them soon-ish and ask the agent's advice on when you should make your house-hunting visit. Also, fair warning, September 1st is the biggest moving day in Boston, not just near colleges, but everywhere. The whole city is kind of a disaster area that day. In many cases, moving that day is unavoidable, but I highly recommend asking your landlord if moving in a day or two early would be ok, or choosing to wait a few days after your lease starts to move in.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has been talked to death but many of these replies were submitted more than a year ago so I don't know if the information is still valid. I am moving to Boston this summer, ( I am going to UMass :D) and I wanted to know where I can live cheaply but still relatively close to school. I am 22 and like having roommates so that isn't an issue. Any info would be a great help.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips, lycoris. I'll most likely be attending in the fall pursuing a PhD in American politics.

Best of luck in the History department, 8in2009! I was a History/PoliSci double major as an undergrad, and the Politics department at Brandeis is known for its emphasis on qualitative and historical methods, maybe we'll see each other around.

I know this has been talked to death but many of these replies were submitted more than a year ago so I don't know if the information is still valid. I am moving to Boston this summer, ( I am going to UMass :D) and I wanted to know where I can live cheaply but still relatively close to school. I am 22 and like having roommates so that isn't an issue. Any info would be a great help.

Thanks!

I am also going to UMass in the fall for historical archaeology (congratulations!). From what I can tell I am going to try to live near the Red line or somewhere easily transferable to the red line (preferably north of UMass since if you go anywhere farther south you get into more suburban areas). I have heard bad things about South Boston (where UMass is located) so I don't know how close to school you want to be. I think most of the information provided (that isn't specific to schools) would still be relevant. Besides that I can't offer a ton of advice because I am in about the same place. Good luck finding a place!

Does anyone know if it would be useful to find an apartment through a Realtor/rental agency? I have been looking at Craigslist but most of those listings seem to be through a rental agency anyway.

Does anyone know if it would be useful to find an apartment through a Realtor/rental agency? I have been looking at Craigslist but most of those listings seem to be through a rental agency anyway.

I personally have been using craigslist and then seeing which realtors seem to have the most listings that fit my budget and I plan on contacting those particular realtors... I'll probably meet with several before I find the place I want.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving there in the fall to Boston College. I ride quite a bit where I'm from, and was wondering how easy it is to ride in the Chestnut Hill/Cambridge/Boston area in general?

Is it flat all over Boston?

Are there bike lanes?

Any other advice?

thanks

-Nick

Moving there in the fall to Boston College. I ride quite a bit where I'm from, and was wondering how easy it is to ride in the Chestnut Hill/Cambridge/Boston area in general?

Is it flat all over Boston?

Are there bike lanes?

Any other advice?

thanks

-Nick

Lots of people (especially students, and especially near the big universities) bike in Boston. The city often shows up on "most bikeable cities" lists. It's not totally flat, but there aren't a whole lot of big hills. There are a lot of bike lanes. Not absolutely everywhere, but a lot. I don't bike much here myself, but I see lots and lots of bikes on the road, so I figure that's a pretty good indication.

For the people asking about working with an apartment broker/agent, you can really go either way, especially if you live near enough to make a couple of trips to look at places. If you live farther away and can only make one trip to look at apartments, you might find working with a broker is easier. But, in many cases that means paying a fee. Typical fees is 1 month's rent (at whatever place you end up renting). Sometimes the landlord will split the fee with you, and occasionally the landlord will pay the full fee. It is completely normal and expected that you work with multiple brokers, and I absolutely recommend doing so if you decide to go the broker route. They each will have a different understanding of your needs, different properties they are aware of and different neighborhoods in which they specialize. And of course, you only pay a fee to the agent who shows you the apartment you actually rent, so you have nothing to lose by working with multiple people. I did work with a broker when I moved here and I found it to be a significant stress reliever (especially since I knew nothing about Boston before coming here). But you have to decide if the fee is worth it to you. As far as finding a broker, I found two of mine on craigslist (people who seemed to have a few listings that looked like they matched my needs) and one through word of mouth.

Edited by quark314

Does anyone know anything about Tang Residence Hall? I'm hoping to get picked in the on-campus housing lottery, and it looks like Tang has the cheapest options. I'm going to try to subsist on my 1,000/mon stipend, and the cheapest on-campus housing looks to be around 750/mon but off-campus doesn't look any better - am I wrong? I'm moving to Cambridge from Southern California in August, so I won't really be able to look in-depth at off-campus housing before I get there (going out for just a couple days in mid-May).

I was just accepted to Harvard Kennedy School. If I attend, I will be bringing my wife and 8 year old son. Are there particularly good neighborhoods for families? Does anyone have recommendations for good elementary schools?

I was just accepted to Harvard Kennedy School. If I attend, I will be bringing my wife and 8 year old son. Are there particularly good neighborhoods for families? Does anyone have recommendations for good elementary schools?

Brookline is definitely one of the more family-friendly of the Boston neighborhoods (ok, technically it's not part of Boston, but it's not any farther away than some other neighborhoods that are part of Boston; it was just never annexed). Less expensive on average than Cambridge, and the Brookline public school system is regarded as quite good. Most areas in Brookline are quiet, residential with a scattering of small shopping-districts (e.g. Coolidge Corner). Even though parts of Brookline are very close to BU and BC, rowdy students tend not to live here since it's a bit pricier than Brighton or Allston, so it's largely the land of families and yuppies. It's not the most convenient place as far as commuting to Harvard, though. The subway takes forever to get from the green line (brookline) to the red line (cambridge). You would want to be on a bus route that goes from near your home to Harvard. I'm not extremely familiar with the bus lines, though I do know the 66 runs along Harvard Ave in Brookline and has stops in the Harvard area.

Hopefully someone else can give you more info about specific elementary schools or other good neighborhoods, but I hope that helps some.

I'm going to Harvard Divinity school starting in June from the Middle East and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend in terms of getting a room since I basically have to move in sight unseen (or at least only photos). Should I be looking at summer sublets and month to month places so I can find a new place when the Fall semester comes around when I'll actually be there to see it in person, or will rents spike in price around September as opposed to now? My budget is tight ($600 including utilities), and since Harvard Divinity School is on the north end of campus I've been looking in Somerville pretty much exclusively, does this sound right?

Edited by 11Q13