Boston & Cambridge, MA

I'm thinking about living a bit farther away for cheaper rent and a quiet atmosphere, either up the Orange line in Malden, or down the red line in Quincy. I'm afraid I'll feel too far away from everything, but considering there are fewer stops on those lines couldn't I get into the city just as quickly as I could from certain areas on the Green line, like Cleveland Circle? Do a lot of people make that commute everyday with no problem? Also what can anyone tell me about Malden and Quincy? Are they nice areas? Safe?

Honestly, I would probably be willing to pay more to live in an area closer to the city, like Brookline, Jamaica Plain (my beloved neighborhood for 3 years), Cambridge or Somerville. Quincy has many people commuting into the city, but there's just not as much going on and not nearly as many fellow grad students. While you could potentially go car free in Quincy, most people probably have a car there.

I'm thinking about living a bit farther away for cheaper rent and a quiet atmosphere, either up the Orange line in Malden, or down the red line in Quincy. I'm afraid I'll feel too far away from everything, but considering there are fewer stops on those lines couldn't I get into the city just as quickly as I could from certain areas on the Green line, like Cleveland Circle? Do a lot of people make that commute everyday with no problem? Also what can anyone tell me about Malden and Quincy? Are they nice areas? Safe?

I live in Quincy! I live about half a mile from the train station (which I walk to) and commute into the Back Bay for work every day. If you're commuting off peak and catch a train quickly, you can be at Park Street station in 15 minutes. Usually takes me 30-45 minutes to get from Wollaston (Red Line) to Arlington (Green Line) and the same to get home, both during rush hour. There's also an extensive bus system that runs throughout the city and into Boston. That being said, there's no student life here at all--it's more of a local city (I grew up here). Quincy is pretty safe and pretty nice, although like any other city, this can depend on neighborhood. I walk home from the train station late at night sometimes and always feel safe. It's definitely pretty quiet, but has been working on some urban renewal projects. There are a few really good restaurants, and many friendly, if not upscale, bars. I would recommend living near the Wollaston or North Quincy stations. Quincy Center is starting to look better, and is perfectly safe most of the time, but can get a little sketchy late at night, especially around the train station, which is set slightly back from the main road. There are a lot of new condos there, as well as apartments. I would, however, recommend having a car if you live here, unless you find a place close to grocery store or don't mind carrying groceries on the bus. If you want to know more or have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Hi everyone, and thanks for the tons of useful advice. Looks like I am going to MIT next fall, and I am looking for a studio or a 1 bedroom apartment - I would really prefer living on my own. The maximum I am willing to pay is 1000-1100$.

I am not at all a Boston expert (international student, never been there before). I have taken a tour on craigslist just to see what the prices are in the various neighborhoods. I am wondering, why doesn't anyone mention Beacon Hill ? Looking at the map it seems not that far away from MIT - especially from the Sloan building (near the Longfellow bridge) which is where my classes would be. And it is supposed to be a nice neigborhood, right? From what I've seen on craigslist you can find a studio in that area for 1000$, and those studios seem to me much nicer than the ones I have found at comparable prices in, say, East Cambridge. But this of course is just the impression I have from Google maps street view and craigslist pictures. So, what have Bostonians to say about Beacon Hill? Would that be a reasonable choice for a MIT student or not?

Also, another question: how safe is it to use a bike in Boston? If I could use the bike as a means of transportation it would be great, I don't mind about the cold, although I would not want to use a bike when there is frost on the streets...

Thanks a bunch!!

I'm guessing most of us don't mention Beacon Hill because it is WAY out of our price range. I'm skeptical that you could find a studio there for that price and suspect that someone is being very creative w/the boundaries of the area if they are listing a 1K studio in 'Beacon Hill,' but I could be wrong.

Hi everyone, and thanks for the tons of useful advice. Looks like I am going to MIT next fall, and I am looking for a studio or a 1 bedroom apartment - I would really prefer living on my own. The maximum I am willing to pay is 1000-1100$.

I am not at all a Boston expert (international student, never been there before). I have taken a tour on craigslist just to see what the prices are in the various neighborhoods. I am wondering, why doesn't anyone mention Beacon Hill ? Looking at the map it seems not that far away from MIT - especially from the Sloan building (near the Longfellow bridge) which is where my classes would be. And it is supposed to be a nice neigborhood, right? From what I've seen on craigslist you can find a studio in that area for 1000$, and those studios seem to me much nicer than the ones I have found at comparable prices in, say, East Cambridge. But this of course is just the impression I have from Google maps street view and craigslist pictures. So, what have Bostonians to say about Beacon Hill? Would that be a reasonable choice for a MIT student or not?

Also, another question: how safe is it to use a bike in Boston? If I could use the bike as a means of transportation it would be great, I don't mind about the cold, although I would not want to use a bike when there is frost on the streets...

Thanks a bunch!!

Beacon Hill would be lovely, but finding a nice studio in that neighborhood for under $1000 might be tough. Often realtors aren't completely honest about the true location of the places they have available (ei they might advertise that they have a place in Beacon Hill, but it's likely to be long gone by the time you'd contact them about it). It's worth checking out though, if the realtor seems trustworthy. I've had friends share a 2 bedroom place in Beacon Hill for $1600 (not including utilities), and they considered themselves very lucky. It's probably the most expensive neighborhood in the city, which is why no one mentions it on here. After all, it's the home of John Kerry and many other wealthy Boston residents!

Biking in Boston is okay, I did it all through undergrad, so I'd encourage anyone to try it out. There are not many marked bike lanes outside of Cambridge, though that is likely to improve over the next few years. Boston drivers are as terrible as you might have heard, there are quite a few very dangerous intersections and you most certainly need to wear a helmet. There are some bike paths in Jamaica Plain, Brookline, Somerville, and along the Esplanade. Though I always wished they were kept in better condition. Check out http://www.massbike.org for maps and more info.

Well the studios I saw on craigslist were close to the Charles MGH or Bowdoin subway stops. Although I know little about Boston I have heard that Beacon Street is a very nice place but expensive too, and in fact I was surprised myself to see studios for prices comparable to those in Cambridge.

So the general opinion here is that there must me something wrong about them for that price? But besides that, is that area convenient for commuting to MIT? Looks like 1 or 2 subway stops...

You will have a tough time finding a $1000 apartment on Beacon Hill, but if you do kudos to you its a great location, the most desireable in Boston. I have lived in Boston for 2 years and I've found that Craigs List ads don't provide the most accurate desciption of an actual apartment. You might use your MIT resources for a list of suggested realtors, apartments, etc. If you are willing to live with a roomate, then you could definitely find a place for less than $2000 total anywhere in the city including Beacon Hill or Beacon St.

You should be aware that the Bowdoin subway stop is only open weekdays from 5:15 AM to 6:30 PM; it's closed on weeknights, weekends and holidays. The Bowdoin stop is also only served by the Blue Line and is not that convenient for getting to Cambridge (you'd have to change at Government Center for the Green Line and again at Park Street for the Red Line).

I was an undergraduate at Emerson College, so I had a few friends who lived over in Beacon Hill, and I've met grad students who live there as well. There are some studios you may come across, but they are by no means a steal and the size of the apartments in Beacon Hill aren't comparable to the bigger apartments you could find outside of downtown. The apartments I've seen in Beacon Hill are small. My friend lives in a studio there right now with her boyfriend and the rent is around $1,200.00 for the studio. They have a kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. It is small, and older, but for one person would be great. The only problem I have with Beacon Hill is moving in. I helped my friend move in, and let me tell you moving furniture up 5 rickety flights of stairs was not pleasant.

I lived in a dorm close by on Arlington Street back then, and it was awesome to live in the neighborhood, it is clean, the safest you can get for downtown Boston, and now the Whole Foods is within walking distance so groceries are easy to buy.

Would I live in Beacon Hill?

Yes I would.

Do I think I can afford it?

No.

You should be aware that the Bowdoin subway stop is only open weekdays from 5:15 AM to 6:30 PM; it's closed on weeknights, weekends and holidays. The Bowdoin stop is also only served by the Blue Line and is not that convenient for getting to Cambridge (you'd have to change at Government Center for the Green Line and again at Park Street for the Red Line).

The Bowdoin T stop is about 5 minutes walking distance from Gov. Center, which accesses the Blue and Green lines. It's very very close.

Well the studios I saw on craigslist were close to the Charles MGH or Bowdoin subway stops.

When it comes to "close" especially to Charles MGH, you should be a little wary. I once looked at a condo on 8 Linden place and the Red Line was in fact ATTACHED to the side of the building. If you fell asleep with the curtains open, morning commuters to MIT would get a full view of you in your glory.

They've recently built a partition to screen the subway/subway noise from this small enclave of appartments that are directly underneath the train, but when the rail is attached to your building, you building will shake every 15 minutes, that's all there is to it.

Hi all! it looks like I'll be attending MIT next fall. The only problem is -- I'm not sure if I can live off of the stipend they offer. Is it possible to live reasonably well off of 20.5K a year (summer funding possible but not guaranteed)? I'm an international so it's probably going to be difficult for me to work during the summer, plus it's hard for me to know what the cost of living in Boston is like. Any advice (on housing/transportation/etc) will be greatly appreciated, since I have to decide without being able to go and visit. Thanks!

Haven't been accepted to any schools in Boston yet (only U of Michigan) but I'm trying to prepare for any options instead of pulling out my hair waiting for admits.

I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom place for myself, my wife and baby, and my mother(financial basket case, think she's better off living with us and providing free babysitting).

I've been pre-approved for a loan from the Japanese government for 150,000yen(approx 1500$USD) a month with an awesome 2% interest rate which doesn't start accumulating till after I graduate. I figure that should help bridge any extra living expenses above and beyond what I'm able to secure with FAFSA/school aid/etc.

Any suggestions on some quieter places for a small family like mine? Would be attending either MIT or Harvard. I don't mind walking/biking 2-3 miles 1 way, living in Tokyo for 5 years has gotten me used to walking all over. Doubly so if it allows me to get a nicer placer for cheaper. Local supermarket would be nice but I don't imagine we'll be going out much in an effort to save money so that's not really important.

Can somebody give me a rundown on transit options to the Boston University Medical Campus?

Namely: do they have a metro stop (lol, DC native) or will I be relying on buses only? If they do have a metro stop, which color is it and what neighborhoods does it run through? It is my dearest desire not to have to switch lines on my commute.

Is it my imagination, or do most of the apartments in Boston have fireplaces? It seems like every Craigslist apartment I've looked at has one.

I'm still hoping to live in the South End proper and just have a nice little on-foot jaunt to school every morning, but I haven't received my financial specifications yet so I'm still flailing in the dark.

no, most of the apartments do not have fireplaces (at least in my experience), but there are a good number in certain areas that do.

You should go to mbta.com and select the trip planner option (under rider tools). I would have this open and the subway map open at the same time and maybe another window w/a general map of the city and this will familiarize you w/your options.

no, most of the apartments do not have fireplaces (at least in my experience), but there are a good number in certain areas that do.

You should go to mbta.com and select the trip planner option (under rider tools). I would have this open and the subway map open at the same time and maybe another window w/a general map of the city and this will familiarize you w/your options.

Oh, SWEET! The MBTA website is way better and more comprehensive then our transit website here in DC. I can really a good idea of where things are from this. Thank you!!!

Haven't been accepted to any schools in Boston yet (only U of Michigan) but I'm trying to prepare for any options instead of pulling out my hair waiting for admits.

I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom place for myself, my wife and baby, and my mother(financial basket case, think she's better off living with us and providing free babysitting).

I've been pre-approved for a loan from the Japanese government for 150,000yen(approx 1500$USD) a month with an awesome 2% interest rate which doesn't start accumulating till after I graduate. I figure that should help bridge any extra living expenses above and beyond what I'm able to secure with FAFSA/school aid/etc.

Any suggestions on some quieter places for a small family like mine? Would be attending either MIT or Harvard. I don't mind walking/biking 2-3 miles 1 way, living in Tokyo for 5 years has gotten me used to walking all over. Doubly so if it allows me to get a nicer placer for cheaper. Local supermarket would be nice but I don't imagine we'll be going out much in an effort to save money so that's not really important.

While it's definitely worth looking in Cambridge, you will likely need to extend your search to Somerville, Belmont, and Arlington. Cambridge will certainly have the most going on with lots of fellow grad students, but Belmont and Arlington are a little more suburban and probably a bit cheaper for a 3 bedroom. I used to nanny for a Harvard grad student family at Peabody Place (grad student housing) and that might be an option to look into. It's home to many young, international families with a number of playgrounds and an indoor play area for little ones, close to Whole Foods and all that Harvard Square has to offer.

Is Malden safe? I've been accepted to 3 programs in Boston and while I haven't decided to go there yet (College Park is also an option, which has its own safety issues), I think I'd be looking for a studio or 1BR a bit farther out so it'd be cheaper. Malden seems to fit the bill. All I really care about is whether it's safe or not. I'm a single 21-year-old female. I've heard it's generally safe but people don't like to live there because it's dull and farther out. This sounds great to me, as I am quite a boring, quiet person and I think places like Allston/Brighton with lots of partying and student craziness would really bother me. How is the Orange Line? I've only ever ridden Red and Green. Thanks!

Is Malden safe? I've been accepted to 3 programs in Boston and while I haven't decided to go there yet (College Park is also an option, which has its own safety issues), I think I'd be looking for a studio or 1BR a bit farther out so it'd be cheaper. Malden seems to fit the bill. All I really care about is whether it's safe or not. I'm a single 21-year-old female. I've heard it's generally safe but people don't like to live there because it's dull and farther out. This sounds great to me, as I am quite a boring, quiet person and I think places like Allston/Brighton with lots of partying and student craziness would really bother me. How is the Orange Line? I've only ever ridden Red and Green. Thanks!

The Orange line is ok for various stops and an absolute shithole for others. It is one of the fast lines though and for that is excellent. As for safety, I'm not sure where you're coming from, but Boston and it's surroundings are an urban environment and you need to have an urban mindset about them. Crime can, and will, happen in any neighborhood. Boston is generally safe - other than areas like Roxbury and Dorchester - but places like Malden have their own problems. Malden Center is nice, but the entire North Shore has cycled through blue-collar booms and poverty, the latter being the main course now as a result of the completion of the Big Dig and the current economic fiasco.

A lot of what neighborhood to suggest depends on the program you've been accepted to. If you are at MIT/Harvard, then I would suggest Davis Square/North Cambridge. Rents are significantly cheaper, neighborhoods are mostly family and safe, plus the convenience of the Red line. There's also West Cambridge [west of Harvard, Huron Village area], very nice, shitty public transpo. BU/BC it would make more sense to suggest Brookline [$$$] or Jamaica Plain [JP has nice areas and horrible ones; it abuts Roxbury. Look around Stony Brook or Green Street, but not Forest Hills or Jackson Square]. I have moved to East Boston [Maverick, Blue Line] - my commute to MIT everyday is cake, I live in Jeffrie's Point area and I've never had a problem - but it can be a little rough around the edges. There is no night life at all and without a car you get isolated past midnight when the T shuts down, but the rents are some of the lowest in Boston and a discerning eye will find you an awesome apartment overlooking the harbor and the skyline. Southie [south Boston, not the South End of Boston, 2 very different areas] has some cheap rents, but is isolated and has some very rough parts [West Broadway]. I wouldn't necessarily discount Malden, but it wouldn't be my first suggestion for someone moving to the city for the first time either.

Check out Porter Square, Davis Square, and if you have a car, Medford. Spring Hill [not Winter Hill or Ten Hills] in Somerville, Inman Square in Cambridge, Cambridgeport [$$$] - although some will say Central Square is shady, I contend that virtually all of Cambridge is safe, and whatever money you pay slightly extra will be more than made up for by proximity to school/lack of commute/not living in Malden.

Hello all,

I'll be moving to Boston in September (possibly earlier) to attend BC -- coming from NYC, I'm terrified/extremely wary of bedbugs, unsafe neighborhoods, and super high rent. My boyfriend and I are moving together (yay! built in roommate!) and want a 2 bedroom/1 bedroom with an office, at $1600 or so a month at the high end of things (we'd obviously pay less if possible!). Ideally, I'd love to be able to walk/bike to BC, but I'm not against using the Green/B line (still figuring out this subway thing). We may have a car, but for now we don't, and even when/if we do, I'd rather use it less than more. I'm totally all for quiet neighborhoods with grocery nearby, and I'm not that into a city (and neither is the boy). Any ideas where I should be looking? I've begun scouting Craigslist around Brigham Circle, Cleveland Circle, and Allston, but I've heard rumors of lots of noisy undergrads and/or bedbugs in those areas.

Thank you!!!!! Any advice is much appreciated. :)

I'll go to bat for Brighton Center/Oak Square, but I lived on the B line last year close to Cleveland Circle and its certainly not saturated by undergrads or bedbugs. A lot of landlords won't rent to undergrads so if you are into that you can ask a realtor straight up. If you have the opportunity to spend a couple days checking things out make appointments with at least 3-4 realtors because some only show dumps or have one or two and its fine to tell them that you don't want a dump. Don't be discouraged if 1-2br apartments don't really show up for a few months even to June because tenants won't have to give notice until around then.

What you want if you are going to BC:

1. Coolidge Corner Beacon St. Brookline to Cleveland Circle on the C line- about a 10 minute walk to BC campus around the Chestnut Hill Reservior which is great for jogging. Coolidge Corner to Cleveland Circle is pricier because Beacon St. is beautiful, there is a supermarket right there. Mostly Brownstone apartments.

2. On the B line on Commonwealth "Comm" Ave. is definitely cheaper than the C line by a couple hundred dollars, I think because the C line is a little faster into Boston, generally 3-5 floor apartment buildings.

3. Brighton Center/Oak Square is a little cheaper and I've actually fallen in love with it. Bus service to downtown and a 10-15 minute walk to BC. It has a nice little collection of restaurants, delis, and markets that the B line lacks.

$1600 should get you a place for no problem in all the areas, but you would get more bang for your buck as you go down the list. All are considered quite safe.

Hello all,

I'll be moving to Boston in September (possibly earlier) to attend BC -- coming from NYC, I'm terrified/extremely wary of bedbugs, unsafe neighborhoods, and super high rent. My boyfriend and I are moving together (yay! built in roommate!) and want a 2 bedroom/1 bedroom with an office, at $1600 or so a month at the high end of things (we'd obviously pay less if possible!). Ideally, I'd love to be able to walk/bike to BC, but I'm not against using the Green/B line (still figuring out this subway thing). We may have a car, but for now we don't, and even when/if we do, I'd rather use it less than more. I'm totally all for quiet neighborhoods with grocery nearby, and I'm not that into a city (and neither is the boy). Any ideas where I should be looking? I've begun scouting Craigslist around Brigham Circle, Cleveland Circle, and Allston, but I've heard rumors of lots of noisy undergrads and/or bedbugs in those areas.

Thank you!!!!! Any advice is much appreciated. :)

I lived in a large townhome/apartment complex right near BC (definitely walking distance)...I believe it was called Towne Estates, and it was very quiet. I think you could find something there in your price range.

Hi everyone. I will be attending MIT in the fall and I have a few questions for you...

1) Ok I'm really not good at reading maps and I am having trouble figuring out how much it takes on foot from one place to the other...what do you think is walking distance (i.e. max 20 mins) from MIT (actually I should be more specific: the building where I will need to go is the Sloan building, near the Kendall subway stop). A friend of mine lives near the Holy Ghost Hospital in Cambridge and says it's "20 mins from MIT"...does it really it take 20 minutes??

2) Subway. Everyone keeps saying the red one is fast, but I saw on the MBTA pages that it runs every 9 minutes on rush hour and every 15 minutes on "normal" hours...not exactly often as I expected! Do you still think the commute is easy? What about the buses?

3) Is the Kendeall area really sad and empty as it looks in Google earth? That would be the ideal neighborhood for me but it looks kind of desolate, is it just my impression? And what about east Cambridge then?

4) How to look for apartments: I keep an eye on craigslist, obviously, and I am waiting to get my MIT id so I can access their system, rentmonkey I think it's called...any other good sources? Also, how early do you think I should look? I have temporary accomodation for august, so there will be time to look for a place while I'm there.

Thanks!!!