I am an indian student.

my scores are

Gre-1470

verbal-730

quant-760

Ielts-8.0/9.0

MSc in Chemical research from queen mary uni of london

75%(rank 1 in a class of 4)

as part of Msc 1 year research experience but no publications yet.

BSc(hons) in physics from Presidency college calcutta,india

58.5%(class topper had 78%) and 64% in chemistry which was a pass subject

I will b giving my subject gre and expect a top score.I want to do my PhD in chemistry.

What do you think my chances are for ivy league inst. like MIT and Stanford?

since I want a research career a Phd from a second rung uni is only going to lower my chances.

What do you think? Should I apply for MIT and Stanford or wait for a couple of years and get some research ex

Honestly? Probably not. WIthout some publication and/or connections (i.e. advisor knows someone at MIT) I think it would be very, very difficult for you to get noticed during the MIT app. phase.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently a graduate student in MIT's chemistry department.

Your GRE scores look fine. I can't comment on your grades or class rankings, but I can assert that strong letters of recommendation from past research advisers are (arguably) the most important element of your application to a top chemistry program. Publications and presentations at scientific meetings put feathers in your hat, but they are by no means required. The main point is that you need to demonstrate a strong commitment to research in your applications.