I noticed there is a UVA acceptance posted. Is this the only one so far? Does anyone know if UVA is significantly cutting their class size (like every other school, it seems)?

There was another one posted this past Friday, so I think there have been a total of two posted acceptances. However, another poster mentioned that he knows of another acceptance, someone who hasn't posted on here. So, unfortunately, I would suspect that they have sent out the majority of their acceptances already, if not all of them.

There was another one posted this past Friday, so I think there have been a total of two posted acceptances. However, another poster mentioned that he knows of another acceptance, someone who hasn't posted on here. So, unfortunately, I would suspect that they have sent out the majority of their acceptances already, if not all of them.

I'm not going to give up hope just yet. What is it they say, 'one swallow does not make a summer'? So just because a few acceptances have gone out, I'm not going to assume that I'm implicitly rejected. I'll save that for when I get the email. A few more days of optimism can't do any harm... :)

I'm not going to give up hope just yet. What is it they say, 'one swallow does not make a summer'? So just because a few acceptances have gone out, I'm not going to assume that I'm implicitly rejected. I'll save that for when I get the email. A few more days of optimism can't do any harm... :)

Venetia,

I think I will join you in your optimism.

I'm not going to give up hope just yet. What is it they say, 'one swallow does not make a summer'? So just because a few acceptances have gone out, I'm not going to assume that I'm implicitly rejected. I'll save that for when I get the email. A few more days of optimism can't do any harm... smile.gif

Yes, it does seem a bit early to be giving up hope altogether! Even if UVA has made all of their initial offers, I'm almost positive they haven't disclosed any information about their wait list. Keep in mind that such lists are a BIG part of the process. Until you receive an official rejection, or at the very least see that the school your waiting on has notified its wait-listers (as Chicago has), it's far too early to count yourself out. Of course I do understand your take; it's much easier to just give up and count on the rejection than to hold out hope, only to catch the bad news later. In the immortal words of Lloyd Dobler, "If you start out depressed, everything's kind of a pleasant surprise."

Yes, it does seem a bit early to be giving up hope altogether! Even if UVA has made all of their initial offers, I'm almost positive they haven't disclosed any information about their wait list. Keep in mind that such lists are a BIG part of the process. Until you receive an official rejection, or at the very least see that the school your waiting on has notified its wait-listers (as Chicago has), it's far too early to count yourself out. Of course I do understand your take; it's much easier to just give up and count on the rejection than to hold out hope, only to catch the bad news later. In the immortal words of Lloyd Dobler, "If you start out depressed, everything's kind of a pleasant surprise."

Exactly!:D

UVA has definitely sent out preliminary acceptances to Jefferson Scholar fellowship nominees. I think other decisions go out according to discipline / department after that. The acceptances appear all to be from the same areas of study. Courage!

Anyone heard anything from UVA? I saw there were a couple of acceptances and then...nothing. I've not heard a thing!

I can't figure it out. There have been 3 acceptances on the results page, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I looked through last year's results and there were only 3 before they sent out waitlists in early March, and then one more acceptance off the waitlist on April 15. I thought there were some in mid-March, but then I realized those were Master's accpetances, not PhD. So I'm not optimistic - I think waitlist may be the best we can hope for at this point. Of course I don't know for sure, but I think that's the most likely. Sad!

I can't figure it out. There have been 3 acceptances on the results page, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I looked through last year's results and there were only 3 before they sent out waitlists in early March, and then one more acceptance off the waitlist on April 15. I thought there were some in mid-March, but then I realized those were Master's accpetances, not PhD. So I'm not optimistic - I think waitlist may be the best we can hope for at this point. Of course I don't know for sure, but I think that's the most likely. Sad!

Yeah, I saw that too and didn't think it looked auspicious. Very sad- I really liked the look of UVA, and it's only an hour away from my sis. I might be brave and give them a call next week (yes, I hate being that annoying person, but this process is making me neurotic...).

It's a strange year. A lot of programs are reviewing applications later than usual. It may have to do with the fact that a lot of schools were shut down more or less for a week because of the weather (UVa one of them), and therefore due to the delay in materials arriving and the inclement weather closings, they're just running later than usual. I say, don't give up until you have the rejection in hand.

It does look like UVa is sending notices out for other humanities departments this week - American History, Sociology, I thin I saw Philosophy - so, it should not be long now.

It's a strange year. A lot of programs are reviewing applications later than usual. It may have to do with the fact that a lot of schools were shut down more or less for a week because of the weather (UVa one of them), and therefore due to the delay in materials arriving and the inclement weather closings, they're just running later than usual. I say, don't give up until you have the rejection in hand.

It does look like UVa is sending notices out for other humanities departments this week - American History, Sociology, I thin I saw Philosophy - so, it should not be long now.

Thanks for the optimism, medievalmaniac! You're right, it has been a really odd year. Even if it is a rejection, a few more halcyon days can't hurt. :)

Had an email from the DGA in response to a query I sent...only 12 slots in their program this year, 600 applications. Didn't get a good feeling, alas; seemed like an implicit rejection. Looks like I better start gearing up for a commuter marriage, if DH even lets me go through with it.... :mellow:

The rejections this morning posted all seem to have gotten an email that directed them to the website. I didn't get the email, but I'm curious what website it is - is it just the submitted application on the Apply Yourself site? Would it be posted by the application status that says "incomplete" (right below the warning that all applications will have "incomplete" on them, even though I know mine is complete - weird)? There are also no messages in the message center. Is that where it would be, or am I missing something? I just ask because other Apply Yourself applications had separate grad school status check sites.

Wow, super nervous. Are y'all still waiting as well? This notification system seems a bit kooky.

I am also being driven slightly mad by the silence. Are they done making offers, or are those of us who haven't heard potentially still in the running? I'd assumed that I was out at UVA when acceptances were posted earlier this month, and I'd come to terms with it, but now that impatient feeling is back... and I have to say, I hadn't missed it.

I haven't heard anything at all from them either! And intextrovert- my application status is 'complete' too. I was wondering what that was all about.

I thought that the decision would be shown the same way as on the Yale application (which is also applyyourself I think) where a link appears at the bottom that you can click to get your decision. But who knows...