Program Advice for Career Switch to Non-Profit Management

Tk2356

I'm switching careers from the military to nonprofit management, and am hoping for advice from this community regarding school value with this end goal in mind. Due to my spouse's job options, I'm only applying to programs in NYC and Chicago, and would like to apply early action to begin planning the overseas move and allow more time for my spouse to job hunt.

After the GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon funds, Chicago Harris and NYU Wagner would be free while SIPA would cost approximately 30-35k out of pocket. Is SIPA's reputation worth the extra money when their job placement in nonprofits seems on par with Wagner? Harris seems to be more highly regarded than Wagner, but does Wagner's nonprofit emphasis negate that here?

I'll be drilling with the Reserves over the summer, so my only chance to gain experience in the sector will be during the school year. It sounds as though this would be easiest at Wagner. 

I'll be 31 when beginning the program, if that makes a difference, and would prefer to work in an internationally-focused NGO. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Tk2356

Guest SIPA_MPA18

@Tk2356 Send me a PM. I'm starting my 2nd year at SIPA and are in the same boat you are. Former Active Duty Army, started at 30, wife has a job, still in the Reserves. 

GPA isn't as huge a requirement for business schools as it is some other places.  Mine, for example, was lower than yours :( , and I still got into Yale and did well.

It is true, though, that Yale has historically been more interested in academic types than some other MBA programs.  

Still, that level of GRE score might translate to a higher GMAT percentile, just given the different populations taking the two tests.  And your GPA is well within their norms.  Worth an inquiry.

Edited by Concordia

I'm applying to MPA/MPA programs, not business school -- sorry for the mix-up. I considered Yale Jackson, but their extreme selectivity combined with the location turned me off. Any advice on SIPA, Wagner, or Harris (with the above considerations in mind) would really help clear up some questions for me.  Thanks again. 

On 7/13/2017 at 9:02 AM, ExponentialDecay said:

Nonprofits actually prefer to hire MBAs for management roles, OP. You shouldn't rule out that possibility. MBA programs like military guys, too.

My GRE score translates to roughly 610 on the GMAT... meaning I would be competitive for Baruch/Fordham/DePaul but not the top programs. That, combined with how much more interesting the MPA/MIA/MPP courses seem, means the prospect of an MBA doesn't excite me. Even if it could lead to better prospects!

3 hours ago, Tk2356 said:

My GRE score translates to roughly 610 on the GMAT... meaning I would be competitive for Baruch/Fordham/DePaul but not the top programs. That, combined with how much more interesting the MPA/MIA/MPP courses seem, means the prospect of an MBA doesn't excite me. Even if it could lead to better prospects!

According to that conversion, you're not competitive for top tier MPAs either tho. I'd retake the GRE.