Visiting vs. Waiting

figurefive

I've been invited to two accepted student events in March, the first a 2-day affair at Midwestern Private University and the second a day-long gathering at Western Public University. I have a limited number of vacation days from work to dole out for potential campus visits and am 99% sure that I would choose Western U. over Midwestern U. If time weren't a factor, I'd love to go to both, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of other programs that I would also prioritize over Midwestern U. I'm afraid that, if I go to the Midwestern U. accepted students event, I might not have enough vacation days left if -- and this is a pretty big if -- I'm accepted to some of the other programs I'm waiting on and want to make a campus visit later in the spring.

Should I decline the invite from Midwestern U.? If so, how do I do it without seeming like a total snob (i.e., without seeming like I'd rather save up for the possibility of getting into a "better" program)?

I've been invited to two accepted student events in March, the first a 2-day affair at Midwestern Private University and the second a day-long gathering at Western Public University. I have a limited number of vacation days from work to dole out for potential campus visits and am 99% sure that I would choose Western U. over Midwestern U. If time weren't a factor, I'd love to go to both, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of other programs that I would also prioritize over Midwestern U. I'm afraid that, if I go to the Midwestern U. accepted students event, I might not have enough vacation days left if -- and this is a pretty big if -- I'm accepted to some of the other programs I'm waiting on and want to make a campus visit later in the spring.

Should I decline the invite from Midwestern U.? If so, how do I do it without seeming like a total snob (i.e., without seeming like I'd rather save up for the possibility of getting into a "better" program)?

I've just said things like "I am not planning on attending the visit day" and they just send an e-mail back saying "Sorry to hear that. If you have any questions feel free to contact us."

So I don't think you need to worry too much about what to say

If you are really 99% sure then yes, politely decline. But I hesitate to suggest anyone turn down an offer from a school they have not visited (I assume you haven't done so prior). I am at the point where I am going to have to take unpaid vacation time to attend all my interviews, but I am going to do that because I don't want to weed out potentially strong options.

I would say that you can't make the visitation day, but see if you can arrange a phone call with a professor and/or students. That way they know you're still interested, but you don't have to make the trip. If they really impress you on the phone, you can decide later about making an actual trip. If you're not impressed, then you haven't wasted any days off.

I would say that you can't make the visitation day, but see if you can arrange a phone call with a professor and/or students. That way they know you're still interested, but you don't have to make the trip. If they really impress you on the phone, you can decide later about making an actual trip. If you're not impressed, then you haven't wasted any days off.

This.

Also, you can just explain that you're not able to take time off from work (add that it's due to a big project/deadline/something, if you want), so it doesn't seem like you're not interested.