Don't Know If I'm Good Enough

jarrodthomas

Hey guys!

So I am graduating from my undergraduate in a couple of months and am starting to apply to schools for a MSW. My major in undergrad is marketing but I have taken more liberal arts courses for electives than anything else. I've always known that I wanted to help people, I just didn't necessarily know how I wanted to until I took multiple psychology courses. Now, I don't have much social work experience other than some psychology, sociology, philosophy, and government classes. I also have only had an internship with Veterans Affairs and I am still a year-round intern for medical social work (started as paid but went to volunteer after a certain date). I have been active in the past (high school) in Best Buddies and have mentored freshmen as a senior in high school. I don't have much volunteer experience throughout my college years. I have transferred two times -- I started at one school, I was pretty much bullied out of it, and went to just any school to get away. From that new school, I transferred again to the school I am graduating from. The first 2 schools I didn't have amazing GPA's... first was a 3.2-3.3 and the second was a 2.5. I am going into my final term with a 3.72 GPA with a major GPA of a 3.8. Do I have a chance of getting into an MSW program? I am looking to go to either New York University, Columbia University, or Hunter College. 

Thanks for the help guys!

Yes you have a chance of getting into a program.  You have relatable experience and skills to be able to demonstrate to a prospective program that you are a good fit for social work.  I had a low GPA in college, transferred twice and finally graduated with 3.02.  I got into an MSW program!!!

It always depends on how you write your personal statement, and that you demonstrate your core values and how that relates to social work.

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 2:34 PM, jarrodthomas said:

Hey guys!

So I am graduating from my undergraduate in a couple of months and am starting to apply to schools for a MSW. My major in undergrad is marketing but I have taken more liberal arts courses for electives than anything else. I've always known that I wanted to help people, I just didn't necessarily know how I wanted to until I took multiple psychology courses. Now, I don't have much social work experience other than some psychology, sociology, philosophy, and government classes. I also have only had an internship with Veterans Affairs and I am still a year-round intern for medical social work (started as paid but went to volunteer after a certain date). I have been active in the past (high school) in Best Buddies and have mentored freshmen as a senior in high school. I don't have much volunteer experience throughout my college years. I have transferred two times -- I started at one school, I was pretty much bullied out of it, and went to just any school to get away. From that new school, I transferred again to the school I am graduating from. The first 2 schools I didn't have amazing GPA's... first was a 3.2-3.3 and the second was a 2.5. I am going into my final term with a 3.72 GPA with a major GPA of a 3.8. Do I have a chance of getting into an MSW program? I am looking to go to either New York University, Columbia University, or Hunter College. 

Thanks for the help guys!

If you have an opportunity to get more real world experience via volunteer/internship then you should definitely do it. From what I could see from Hunter, they are pretty concerned with where your head is at and if you have a realistic view of the profession then that is a plus!!